Apple unveils iOS 9 with smarter Siri, public transit in Maps, iPad split-screen multitasking

Comments

• Reply 81 of 128
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

except it doesn't suck.

and to original poster I'll add does any one use Windows except for work at the office which is behind really good firewall and intrusions detection systems? Because it really needs other wise you are only asking for a butt fracking

• Reply 82 of 128

Apple must be doing something right the Trolls are out in force today!

• Reply 83 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

There's no problem with that at all.  My initial post was meant to draw attention to the comical situation into which DED has once again placed himself after his article about Google bringing nothing new to Android.  M is mostly focused on stability and polish rather than new features just like iOS 9, but Google still managed to make major changes to the platform, some of which are just bringing feature parity (granular permissions) and some of which are genuine advancements in mobile computing (Now on Tap).  DED bet on Apple outdoing Google at WWDC and lost spectacularly.

No he didn't. everything DED said about Android is still true - its an over - hyped fundamentally flawed OS that is going down spectacularly and will be replaced by Google's next fiasco called Chrome and once Samsung drops it the game will be up.

• Reply 84 of 128
    deegee48deegee48 Posts: 66member
    I didn't notice, but will copy and paste work between apps in the split screen mode?
  • Reply 85 of 128
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pistis View Post

No he didn't. everything DED said about Android is still true - its an over - hyped fundamentally flawed OS that is going down spectacularly and will be replaced by Google's next fiasco called Chrome and once Samsung drops it the game will be up.

What does that have to do with I/O compared to WWDC?

• Reply 86 of 128
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeGee48 View Post

I didn't notice, but will copy and paste work between apps in the split screen mode?

I can't see any reason it wouldn't. It works now after switching between apps. 

• Reply 87 of 128
    deegee48deegee48 Posts: 66member
    Yes. Just confirmed it on the special page Apple put up about split-screen. Now my home button won't break (not to mention I'll get things done much faster) Yay!
  • Reply 88 of 128
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    That's BS. Technology always advances and devices get left behind. Nothing new here.

Air 1 buyers can get the Air 3 if the truly need split screen.

No it's not BS. Air 1 should have had 2GB RAM. There's no good explanation for it not having 2GB ram other than greed.
  • Reply 89 of 128
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And most of that from iOS users.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken but I don't believe Google is actually handing over data to advertisers what they do is use your surfing, email, forum messages, pictures etc to place targeted ads on your devices, once you click on them the advertiser pays Google per click?
  • Reply 90 of 128
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So when Apple was planning the Air 1 they weren't working on multitasking? What's wrong with some future proofing in the hardware. If they knew multitasking was in the pipeline and knew it would require more RAM to work properly why didn't the iPad Air 1 get 2GB RAM? And if RAM isn't the issue, then why is the Air 2 the only device to get it? You can't tell me the A8 chip isn't powerful enough to support it.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-will-consume-25-of-all-dram-in-the-world-next-year-3573930/

"Since Apple is already a major player in the mobile DRAM market, PC DRAM manufacturers will switch to mobile DRAM to meet the company's demands," Avril Wu, assistant vice president of DRAMeXchange, said in a statement. "This has indirectly caused supply shortages in the PC DRAM and server DRAM sectors."

Sept of last year.

Maybe the simple answer is that there wasn't enough RAM available, or available at a cost effective price.

• Reply 91 of 128
    What does that have to do with I/O compared to WWDC?

Well DED was talking about the Google equivalent of wwdc in his article so I guess so my comment was just reiterating that
  • Reply 92 of 128
    tmay wrote: »
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-will-consume-25-of-all-dram-in-the-world-next-year-3573930/

"Since Apple is already a major player in the mobile DRAM market, PC DRAM manufacturers will switch to mobile DRAM to meet the company's demands," Avril Wu, assistant vice president of DRAMeXchange, said in a statement. "This has indirectly caused supply shortages in the PC DRAM and server DRAM sectors."

Sept of last year.

Maybe the simple answer is that there wasn't enough RAM available, or available at a cost effective price.

The iPad doesn't need as much ram simply because the OS is smaller, better designed than android has ever been . The reason android fans deride these small ram specs is because they don't understand that and assume bigger is better , a common misconception. Also having less ram lessens battery power consumption another big factor. Apple simply has a overall better integration of hardware and software a point most android fans conveniently forget or don't have awareness of.
  • Reply 93 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    No it's not BS. Air 1 should have had 2GB RAM. There's no good explanation for it not having 2GB ram other than greed.

The Air 1 works with whatever it has. Air 1 buyers weren't told or had any inkling about split screen so buyers could wait until that existed or buy the Air 1.
  • Reply 94 of 128
    rogifan wrote: »

It has nothing to do with greed. Apple designs it's devices with the integration of hardware and software in mind and optimizes memory, battery, and so on to create a optimal experiences , your simplistic statement that it should have 2gb of ram is a total misunderstanding and based on the usual ignorance that android fan boys are famous for. Basically you have no idea what you are talking about and just make opinions with no reasons and thus have no credibility at all.
  • Reply 95 of 128
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pistis wrote: »
    tmay wrote: »

Sept of last year.

The iPad doesn't need as much ram simply because the OS is smaller, better designed than android has ever been . The reason android fans deride these small ram specs is because they don't understand that and assume bigger is better , a common misconception. Also having less ram lessens battery power consumption another big factor. Apple simply has a overall better integration of hardware and software a point most android fans conveniently forget or don't have awareness of.

Seeing how iPads last so long bigger isn't better but more of a necessity in the future. I may not need 2 GB of RAM now but I will a year or 2 from now.
  • Reply 96 of 128
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pistis View Post

I agree with you fully.

This year though, there should be enough RAM for 2 GB in the iPhone 6S, should Apple choose to spec it.

We will know in late September.

• Reply 97 of 128
    I like all these new features, though I must admit its a tad frustrating I have to wait until September to get em. I wish they could release them earlier. Oh well!
  • Reply 98 of 128
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member

Those RAM starved chickens are coming home to roost. 

• Reply 99 of 128
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I hate that graphic for Siri. It looks like what I see before getting a migraine.
  • Reply 100 of 128
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

hahahaha, The ipad discovered Windows 8 and the iphone discovered flip to sleep, Stamina mode and Event manager from Android - Oh and Maps discovered Google Maps from 2013... this is getting embarrassing.

I'll keep saying it, the only OS apple makes is OSX - iOS is just the dumbing down of Apple.