Apple unveils iOS 9 with smarter Siri, public transit in Maps, iPad split-screen multitasking

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Multitasking equals fragmentation. No other iOS devices get it but Air 2. Apple always does this. Sure, you have the latest software but not all the features.
  • Reply 102 of 128
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    pistis wrote: »
    The iPad doesn't need as much ram simply because the OS is smaller, better designed than android has ever been . The reason android fans deride these small ram specs is because they don't understand that and assume bigger is better , a common misconception. Also having less ram lessens battery power consumption another big factor. Apple simply has a overall better integration of hardware and software a point most android fans conveniently forget or don't have awareness of.

No. I want more RAM in my iOS devices. It freaking sucks have every single app completely refreshing when I go in and out of apps. I hate it. Most infuriating thing about iOS.
  • Reply 103 of 128
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    No. I want more RAM in my iOS devices. It freaking sucks have every single app completely refreshing when I go in and out of apps. I hate it. Most infuriating thing about iOS.

Whatever
  • Reply 104 of 128
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Edit: The split-screen multitasking is a big change for iOS, and a much-needed feature. Unfortunately it's not big news in the mobile world since Samsung has done this since 2012.

True, but they did it on a tablet no one uses.  There are more in landfills than in peoples hands.  Apple has done it with a great deal of sophistication on a tablet many tens of millions of people are using.  That actually matters.

• Reply 105 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Seeing how iPads last so long bigger isn't better but more of a necessity in the future. I may not need 2 GB of RAM now but I will a year or 2 from now.

Well if that's your goal, then wait for the next one.
  • Reply 106 of 128
    welshdog wrote: »
    True, but they did it on a tablet no one uses.  There are more in landfills than in peoples hands.  Apple has done it with a great deal of sophistication on a tablet many tens of millions of people are using.  That actually matters.

They have put split-screen multitasking on all of their flagship products since 2012, so there are hundreds of millions of Samsungs already on the market with this feature. That actually matters.
  • Reply 107 of 128
    stu279stu279 Posts: 9member
    Please correct me if I'm mistaken but I don't believe Google is actually handing over data to advertisers what they do is use your surfing, email, forum messages, pictures etc to place targeted ads on your devices, once you click on them the advertiser pays Google per click?

This is absolutely correct. But apple and some sites/fan boys keep pushing this misinformation for marketing or through ignorance.

Google do not sell nor hand over any personal data to anyone.

Apple are a multi million dollar buyer of Google ad space as well.... but no one wants to mention that.
  • Reply 108 of 128
    I can't wait for the next iPhone w/DSLR camera and sapphire front glass. The watch is rad, never scratches.
  • Reply 109 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Multitasking equals fragmentation. No other iOS devices get it but Air 2. Apple always does this. Sure, you have the latest software but not all the features.

...yet, you keep buying and complaining they do this and make it public when everyone already knows this just as much as you do. Sounds like a self sustaining business model and Steve Jobs was the original gangster you can thank for this.--but everyone already knows this too. Cheers.

• Reply 110 of 128

The informations you post is good.....Thanks dear...

• Reply 111 of 128
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    my Safari does not crash all the time.
    It depends on the websites. The ones that do a lot of scaling are the ones that are always crashing for me.
  • Reply 112 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    They have put split-screen multitasking on all of their flagship products since 2012, so there are hundreds of millions of Samsungs already on the market with this feature. That actually matters.

But was it for specific apps or all apps?
  • Reply 113 of 128
    jungmark wrote: »
    But was it for specific apps or all apps?

It only works with major apps. I think that Samsung has to build compatibility for each app because Android multi window support is in development still.
  • Reply 114 of 128
    robertcrobertc Posts: 118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

But it's only on some of their apps, and it's NOT ANDROID it's self!!!   

Actually, the Android M developer preview has multi window with up to 4 windows on the display at one time. Of course this will only come to consumers later this year.

• Reply 115 of 128
    pascalfpascalf Posts: 1member
    It seems that in split-view a swipe from the top in the left app opens the notification-center (as we know it) while a swipe from the top in the right app opens the app-switcher. That is very inconsistent and should be done better. E.g. when you have two apps on the screen a second swipe from the right side changes between the app and the app-switcher. While a swipe from the top opens the notification-center, no matter where you swipe from the top.
  • Reply 116 of 128
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

I thought that this refreshing was because of memory compression.   I remember Apple introduced it a couple years back but don't remember if its for OSX or iOS.   Either way it seems that there is just too much refreshing since upgrading.

• Reply 117 of 128
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It's BS. And if I was an Air 1 user I would be rightly pissed off. It's not like the Air 2 was some big upgrade so I'm sure a lot of people didn't do it.

I'm expecting that when the Family (12 inch) iPad is finally released in Sept. there will be an option for Multi-user support, but you'll need either the Family iPad or iPad Air3 with A9 cpu.-   You'll need the new CPU since the finger prints are stored in a special memory location on the chip.    We will see if the Family iPad comes with 2GB or 4GB.

With the addition of the just announced multitasking/window support, IOS will have added back in much of what they threw out when they created iOS out of OSX 10 years ago.   Don't be surprised that Microsoft will be pushing Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 4 for their enterprise customers as both a tablet and laptop.    For the first time in 5 years I'm curious to see a Microsoft product and ail be debating between a new surface and a new iPad.

p.s. yes I know everyone calls the rumored 12 incher the iPad Pro.

• Reply 118 of 128
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    Of course RAM matters.  It all depends for what.  If you need 2-3 Gig's of RAM on Android to do what 1 Gig on iOS does, iOS is a much better effecent OS.  There's no Slip Screen on Android.  There is on some Samscum Devices, but that's not Stock Android.  With the Majority of Android phones sold have weak CPU's, very little RAM, and if Google added the feature to Android most Android phones/tablets wouldn't be able to use it.  It's like Encrypting the Data on Android phones.  Google wanted to turn it on by Default but it was killing the performance of most Android phones in the 50% range so default had to continue to be off.  

Even my iPad 3 could do spit screen, I'd check it out once, see it and then never use it again.   It's pointless on a small screen.  iOS already Multi-tasks.  It always has, which is why you can do things like Play Music in the background while WAZE is running in the foreground.   Split screens is just one feature of what a Multi-Tasking computer or Smartphone can do, but it's still Multi-Tasking.

App switching is a lot different than being able to run apps in the background and in iOS you can only do that with a few apps, which you listed iTunes and GPS. I want to be able to run any app that could benefit. Example: being able to run a terminal in the background without it terminating it's connection because of some silly allowed time is something I've wanted for a very long time. What I want the most though is able to run at least 2 music creation apps at once, a beatmaker and synth app. Actually this is still an opened question, is this multitasking feature only limited to the two side by side apps mode or can I actually run apps in the background.

Also there are third party apps that give the same functionality as Samsungs multi-window to any Android device, 2 to 3GB of RAM is definitely needed. You can also run any app in the background and isnt just limited to music players and GPS apps. One of the biggest reasons why I use a Nexus 9 (which doesn't lag with running apps in background) as my main tablet and not an iPad, well that and not being able to select my own default apps.
  • Reply 119 of 128
    k2kw wrote: »

I'm expecting that when the Family (12 inch) iPad is finally released in Sept. there will be an option for Multi-user support, but you'll need either the Family iPad or iPad Air3 with A9 cpu.-   You'll need the new CPU since the finger prints are stored in a special memory location on the chip.    We will see if the Family iPad comes with 2GB or 4GB.

With the addition of the just announced multitasking/window support, IOS will have added back in much of what they threw out when they created iOS out of OSX 10 years ago.   Don't be surprised that Microsoft will be pushing Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 4 for their enterprise customers as both a tablet and laptop.    For the first time in 5 years I'm curious to see a Microsoft product and ail be debating between a new surface and a new iPad.

p.s. yes I know everyone calls the rumored 12 incher the iPad Pro.

How are they going to implement multi-user when files are stored under the apps that created them. Will you have to re-install each app again per user or will iOS finially get a better way of handling files, perhaps using metadata where we will be able to see all documents under a single view, all music in another, video, etc. One thing for sure it's going to be one heck of an undertaking to deliver this feature, I would hate to be on that programming team. Personally I think Apple should have just left well enough alone and used the traditional BSD file system, it would have definitely made file management a whole lot better than what it currently is and multiuser would have definitely been implemented by now.
  • Reply 120 of 128

No he didn't. everything DED said about Android is still true - its an over - hyped fundamentally flawed OS that is going down spectacularly and will be replaced by Google's next fiasco called Chrome and once Samsung drops it the game will be up.

Wishful thinking but Android isn't going anywhere, it's far from over, Chrome OS isn't a phone OS nor will it ever be. Google also doesn't share your personal data with advertiser's, that is a huge misconception. What other mobile OS is out there that could replace Android, Tizen, SailFish, FireFox OS, yeah I don't think so. It's fun to talk about the demise of Android but the truth is it's here to stay.