Apple announces OS X 10.11 El Capitan, focusing on experience & performance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    storretti wrote: »
    About time there is a split screen mode. I've been waiting for that forever

I've used the free 'BetterTouch' for a while on a MBP with Yosemite, simple but works like a charm.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

What about making it backward compatible to more old Mac on Continuity and Handoffs?

• Reply 23 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I see it is called Yosemite 10.11 not El Capitan in the developer beta.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Maybe!

The problem is I didn't see a lot of focus on performance in the discussion. Lots of new features of course but some of the things discussed with respect to performance where no brainers. Take the 4X speed up in Preview, that isn't exactly a great achievement when you consider Open Source PDF viewers are much faster. I'm hoping glossing over performance was a result of simply not knowing how good the improvements will be at this time.
    This is Snow Leopard 2015, which is exactly what OS X needed.

I'll just call it El Cap, easier.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    magic_al wrote: »
    Hopefully the same system requirements. It would be ironic if a release intended mainly to clean things up and improve performance left out the Macs that need it the most.

You should be good. The previous split was due to hardware support or sometimes firmware support, from what I understand.

In any event they specifically mentioned that IOS 9 ( will work on all devices supported by iOS8. This isn't the Mac of course but I think it highlights that Apple isn't going out of its way to obsolete old hardware. Ultimately though it may be an issue of RAM that negatively impacts installs on old hardware. Right now I'm downloading the beta and it is a 6GB download. Obviously betas are fat but this is fatter than normal.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    OS X El Capitan (OS X 10.11) supports the following Macs:

•    iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

•    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)

•    MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

•    Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

•    MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

•    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

•    Xserve (Early 2009)

---------------

Early 2008 MBP still going strong.  :smokey:
  • Reply 27 of 55
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    OS X El Capitan (OS X 10.11) supports the following Macs:

•    iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
    •    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
    •    MacBook............

Early 2008 MBP still going strong.  :smokey:

Yes - my Oct 2007 iMac should be included!
  • Reply 28 of 55
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I know what it is. It's just *also* funny, for other reasons. 

Any word on compatibility? I assume the list is the same.

I hope so, my mid-09 17" MBP is officially obsolete in a few days :( 

Edit: just read the rest of the thread, woo-hoo! Thanks for posting that Quadra.

• Reply 29 of 55
    rs0212rs0212 Posts: 25member
    magic_al wrote: »
    Hopefully the same system requirements. It would be ironic if a release intended mainly to clean things up and improve performance left out the Macs that need it the most.

Tell that to all the PowerPCs stuck on Leopard, especially those purchased just a couple years before becoming obsolete. I actually downgraded to Tiger on my PowerMac and eMac when it was clear some of the little quirks in Leopard wouldn't be addressed. I'm not sore over it but I'd assume businesses that purchased any G5s were.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    morrolanmorrolan Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In Safari, users will be able to pin sites, reducing them to an icon. 

Bookmarking a website is now a selling point?  What am I missing?

• Reply 31 of 55
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    morrolan wrote: »

13161-7620-a4fef8fdc1a5181daa9e4f26f0db2f39a2591817_large_2x-l.jpg

In Safari, users will be able to pin sites, reducing them to an icon. 

Bookmarking a website is now a selling point?  What am I missing?

They're more convenient bookmarks. Features like these are designed around common behavior. I often find that I want to read a web page later on but wouldn't bookmark it because I consider bookmarks to be more permanent. So I'd instead leave the page open. This way it's easy to quickly slide a tab over and quickly remove it once it's read.

The audio mute feature should have been done a long time ago, that stupid smiley Flash advert that would shout out was such a nuisance hidden away in some tab. Blocking Flash is the easier route these days.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

Phew!

Though I’m now forced to stop using Notes on my iPad, since it’s too old to sync. Why not just NOT show the new features on old versions?

• Reply 33 of 55
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member

The brighter color scheme in Yosemite vs Mavericks more muted (readable, easier on the eyes) color scheme didn't give it away?

Quote:

"El Capitan"?

Really??

• Reply 34 of 55
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    What a waste. Nothing much new. OSX is just a bunch of bug fixes from 10.10.X iTunes Ping redone. Yeah that's going to work this time around. No new hardware to speak of. Nothing new to see here.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Yuck9 View Post

What a waste. Nothing much new. OSX is just a bunch of bug fixes from 10.10.X iTunes Ping redone. Yeah that's going to work this time around. No new hardware to speak of. Nothing new to see here.

Did your last eight accounts get banned? Better get ready for Yuck10.

• Reply 36 of 55
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's a Snow Leopard style release. And so much the better.

I'm all for major under the hood improvements plus a few new conveniences.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member

So when someone speaks the truth they have to fear of losing an account ? So be it. So tell us what's so new ? All I saw was Bug fixes being rebranded into what should have been fixed months and months ago. What new hardware was brought to the table ?

• Reply 38 of 55
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuck9 View Post

So when someone speaks the truth they have to fear of losing an account ? So be it. So tell us what's so new ? All I saw was Bug fixes being rebranded into what should have been fixed months and months ago. What new hardware was brought to the table ?

This 'table' you speak of seems to be a hallucination of some sort, as is your seat of entitlement.  It's a conference for software developers who want to spread their wares across an ecosystem, those pining for new toys are totally missing the point.

• Reply 39 of 55
    ratsgratsg Posts: 53member

I know that we lost a lot more, but the big thing I remember about 10.6, was that we lost PPC support, and it was the last version of Mac OS X that had Rosetta and could run PPC applications.

If El Capitan/10.11 is another Snow Leopard, then my big concern is what are we going to loose when 10.12 comes around?

• Reply 40 of 55
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    ratsg wrote: »
    I know that we lost a lot more, but the big thing I remember about 10.6, was that we lost PPC support, and it was the last version of Mac OS X that had Rosetta and could run PPC applications.

If El Capitan/10.11 is another Snow Leopard, then my big concern is what are we going to loose when 10.12 comes around?

Stagnation