iOS 8.4, iTunes for Mac updates coming by June 30 to prep for Apple Music

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
As a part of its its WWDC 2015 keynote, Apple announced that iOS 8.4 and a new version of iTunes will be available by June 30, in time for the launch of the on-demand Apple Music streaming service.

Apple did not elaborate on the features of either update beyond Apple Music support. iOS 8.4 has been in beta for months however, and is known to include a radically redesigned Music app built not just for Apple Music but for better local file playback.

Some planned improvements to Music include global search tools, new gesture controls, and above all a MiniPlayer that will let people control music playback from anywhere in the interface.

Apple notably announced that Apple Music will be coming to Android and the Apple TV this fall. The former will be Apple's first-ever original app for Android, a platform the company has normally avoided in order to push iPhone and iPad sales.

Currently the company has just one Android app, Beats Music, a holdover from its takeover of Beats last year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    I just hope iTunes 13 (or whatever they call it) still comes to Lion.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I think it's great for Apple to put Apple Music on Android. Turn about is fair play right!!! Google is all over iOS. Even better, most Android phones made have slim to none in profits. Any of those people signing up to Apple Music means Apple will make far, far, far more money from them then anything the company that built the phone made.

That's one of many big problems with Android. You make slim to none in profits selling your Android phones, and you can't make anything from them in after sale profits with your own Services. Samscum has tried their own services and they've for the most part have failed. If they can't pull it off, who can? Everyone want's to use Google's Services. One one exception being China where Google is pretty much dead.

If Apple can take some of that pie, great. It would really have to be a ton better then Google's Music service. But hey, now fandroids can't say Apple never creates a App or offer their services on Android.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    I think it's great for Apple to put Apple Music on Android. Turn about is fair play right!!! Google is all over iOS. Even better, most Android phones made have slim to none in profits. Any of those people signing up to Apple Music means Apple will make far, far, far more money from them then anything the company that built the phone made.

That's one of many big problems with Android. You make slim to none in profits selling your Android phones, and you can't make anything from them in after sale profits with your own Services. Samscum has tried their own services and they've for the most part have failed. If they can't pull it off, who can? Everyone want's to use Google's Services. One one exception being China where Google is pretty much dead.

If Apple can take some of that pie, great. It would really have to be a ton better then Google's Music service. But hey, now fandroids can't say Apple never creates a App or offer their services on Android.

"We've got customers who say that AppleMusic is their favorite app on Android. It's like giving a glass of ice water to someone in hell!"

Tim Cook, 2016 ReCoded conference.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    "We've got customers who say that AppleMusic is their favorite app on Android. It's like giving a glass of ice water to someone in hell!"

Tim Cook, 2016 ReCoded conference.

:D :D :D :lol:

Plus Apple can cut into Google's data collection on what music their users like..
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jbdragon wrote: »

Let's not forget the new Apple app for Android called "Move." The app that lures even more than music sales, it takes the Android users too.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Too bad it's not available now. I hardly can wait!

• Reply 7 of 9
    If anyone can't wait, just install the spotify app and signup to a free month. Your phone will be quite similar to 8.4 i'm sure.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member

I heard this week that some developers have noticed back door root certificates for government agencies in iOS 8.4 beta, which allows governments to break into your phone starting with 8.4. 

Any news on this? Since Apple has touted encryption and security.. have they caved in and is there a scandal? 

• Reply 9 of 9
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

I heard this week that some developers have noticed back door root certificates for government agencies in iOS 8.4 beta, which allows governments to break into your phone starting with 8.4. 

Any news on this? Since Apple has touted encryption and security.. have they caved in and is there a scandal? 

In some other thread, you stated this as fact. Where did you hear this. Have a link?