Inside iOS 9: Siri Suggestions, news, apps & more on Apple's revamped search screen

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Apple has introduced an entirely new home screen in iOS 9 that presents users with intelligent, contextually aware information, including frequently opened apps based on time of day and location, or potential destinations in Maps that a user might seek out.

Search in iOS 9 is no longer branded as "Spotlight," with the company's Siri artificial intelligence taking over in the branding department. That includes the new Siri Suggestions feature on the search screen, which presents users with apps, contacts and other frequently accessed data.

Users who have upgraded to iOS 9 can find the new search menu by swiping to the left of the first Home screen. iOS search can also be accessed by dragging down on the home screen, as it operates in iOS 8, but this does not present the full intelligent, personalized screen, instead limiting it to a few recommended apps.

As iOS learns a user's habits, it will evolve and present information that it thinks the person might want quick access to. This is akin to the Google Now service, but Apple has placed an emphasis on protecting personal data, and anonymizing any information that might be sent through the Internet, to differentiate its service from its rival.

With iOS 9, Maps data will intelligently evolved throughout the day: While it may offer quick access to nearby coffee and bakeries in the morning, by the afternoon they could change to parking and gas stations.

Below Maps data, users can scroll to see some of the top headlines of the day in a News list.

Users can make slight customizations to the new search page, allowing the system to show more or less Siri Suggestions, Maps points of interest, or news items.

When choosing content from the new search page, respective apps are opened, locations are accessed from Apple Maps, and News is displayed in Safari. But all of these are accompanied by a new "Back to Search" button in the upper left, which temporarily replaces the carrier name and reception information.

Atop all of this information is the standard search bar, which no longer reads "Spotlight Search," and has been changed to just "Search." There's also a new microphone button to the right of the search bar, which allows users to speak their query rather than type it.

Search itself operates largely the same as in iOS 8. Submitting a query returns data from a number of sources, including the Web, the App Store, the iTunes Store, and more. Once again, Web searches are powered by Microsoft Bing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    It's also a ridiculous battery hog. Went to bed with 97%, woke up 7 hours later with 13%. Nothing was running in the background either. After install it went from 89% to 56% in an hour, but I attributed that to Siri searching my phone and learning. After that first hour things settled down, but a 90% drain with nothing running in 7 hours? Yeah they need to get s handle on that. I've been on the support forums all morning and it's not just me. So much for improved efficiency.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

It's also a ridiculous battery hog. Went to bed with 97%, woke up 7 hours later with 13%. Nothing was running in the background either. After install it went from 89% to 56% in an hour, but I attributed that to Siri searching my phone and learning. After that first hour things settled down, but a 90% drain with nothing running in 7 hours? Yeah they need to get s handle on that. I've been on the support forums all morning and it's not just me. So much for improved efficiency.

derp i don't understand beta software derp

Is that what you meant to say? Please don't tell me you put this on mission-critical hardware.

• Reply 3 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cash907 wrote: »

Are you familiar with the term "in Beta"?
  • Reply 4 of 52
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Actual LOL here.  thank you :-D

• Reply 5 of 52
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will introduce an entirely new home screen in iOS 9

You guys had me for a minute there.

• Reply 6 of 52
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

So, if they're changing Newsstand to News and it contains all this aggregated content BS, where do my actual magazine and newspaper subscriptions go? Do they get their own app on the home page now? That's fine, I was just wondering.

• Reply 7 of 52
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I'm excited about the improvements to Siri. These are exactly what I have been hoping for. Siri is about to get a lot smarter and far more useful. 

• Reply 8 of 52
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Is that what you meant to say? Please don't tell me you put this on mission-critical hardware.

No, it's running on my test iPhone 5S that I use for my apps. And yes, I understand alpha and beta software. This mess runs more like alpha. Every new OS has battery issues, but when you can watch the battery life tick down every 30 seconds with nothing running is pretty bad. Beta 1 of 6 and 7 were nowhere near this bad.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    I waiting for the beta 1 of iOS 10 I heard that is not as bad a beta 1 of iOS 9. I mean, man why do they even ship these, there so many bugs, don't they already know all the bugs? why don't they fix the bugs before they release beta 1 of an OS, don't they know betas are supposed to run superbly. There's no excuse or need to have it run crappy on software/ preference/networks/setting that are unique on the user's device. THEY SHOULD KNOW ALL THIS BEFORE THE BETA! APPLE!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 52
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

good thing its a beta, dude, designed for developers to test their apps on.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Apple apologist says what?

ah, so youre just a troll. got it.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Restore your device to iOS 8. You're obviously not a suitable beta tester. Betas often have all kinds of debug and monitoring software running in the background and its normal for battery life to suck during the beta. This will all be disabled in the final release and Apples claims about improved battery life and efficiency will prove to be true.

I'm not participating in this beta so far - but I've participated in the last 5 and there is usually an agreement you "accept" which prohibits you from speaking publicly (good or bad) about any of your experiences with the beta. They usually have a dedicated website or forum set up where you can discuss things with other beta testers and of course a bug reporting site you can use to report any bugs you encounter.

I'm not sure if the agreement is different because they've opened up this beta to the public - but I suspect your post breaches the agreement you made with Apple. Hopefully they will find your post and revoke your permission to participate in the remainder of the beta.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    I just hope they open search to more then native iOS apps. Proactivity will only work well if I can tell Siri what mail app to look in and which calendar app to use.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/62897/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Ad blockers don't seem to be enabled. At least the option doesn't show up for me on safari settings.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

Ad blockers don't seem to be enabled. At least the option doesn't show up for me on safari settings.

It shows up in my settings iPhone 5, it looks like you are missing the part that says General that is where Block pop-ups is.

• Reply 16 of 52
    If using the phone more the battery will decrease more. Check your usage stat. I have noticed no battery problems with same usage. Even on the last Beta I didn't.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Fairly underwhelmed so far. But it's not worse
  • Reply 18 of 52
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

I'm assuming that option only appears when you download a blocker from the App Store.

As of 3:30 EST, Apple has not released any to the App Store yet. :-/

• Reply 19 of 52
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    I'm assuming that option only appears when you download a blocker from the App Store.

As of 3:30 EST, Apple has not released any to the App Store yet. :-/

I don't think that's the case. At least on the pictures shown in the other article there's a content blocker menu even though there were no content blockers at the time.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Also, I can't find the News app.