Find My iPhone, Friends become built-in apps in Apple's first iOS 9 beta, cannot be uninstalled

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Both Apple's "Find My iPhone" and "Find My Friends" applications are built in to the first beta of iOS 9, hinting that they could be added to the growing list of native iPhone apps when the software update launches this fall.

Currently in iOS 8, both Find My iPhone and Find My Friends are optional installs from the App Store. But in the first beta of iOS 9 provided to developers this week, they come preinstalled and cannot be removed.

Apple made a similar move last year, baking iBooks and Podcasts into iOS 8 as native applications. It proved to be a successful move for iBooks, as Apple gained millions of new users to its e-book platform.

In addition to being built in to the first iOS 9 beta, Find My Friends is also accompanied by a new Notification Center widget. The widget shows nearby friends, and tapping to open the app will offer a more detailed view of all friends' locations shared through the application.

With iOS 9, Passbook has also been rebranded as Wallet, while Newsstand will be replaced by a new Flipbook-like application simply dubbed News. However, News is not found in the first beta release of the software, while former Newsstand publications on upgraded devices will see their individual apps placed into a folder still named Newsstand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    That's going into the same 'not used native apps' folder.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    rob bonnerrob bonner Posts: 237member
    Anyone have any reports on stability?
  • Reply 3 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    undefined
  • Reply 4 of 46
    dejavuxdejavux Posts: 1member
    Workaround:

Step 1: Create an app group called Apple.
    Step 2: Move these new apps to that group.
    Step 3: Move on with your life.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member
    urahara wrote: »
    That's going into the same 'not used native apps' folder.

True

If you have No Friends or Family, why would you ever need to find them ??

And by deductive reasoning, since you have no friends or family,
    Who would ever ask you to use your iPhone's, 'Finf My IPhone' app, to help them locate their lost phone. ...sheesh

Sometimes Apple really doesn't 'Think Differently". ...enough.

Your solution is brilliant by the way

Go Apple !!!!
  • Reply 6 of 46
    [B]BREAKING:[/B] The phone, music player, mail, and mobile Safari apps are native and cannot be uninstalled from the iPhone either. Post your cries of outrage below. Complementary google ads will be served.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Find My iPhone should be installed by default. Since FMF is built into Spotlight now, that must be why it's also default.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Since early days of IOS and native apps, Apple has hardly done any work to improve Calendat App. If Apple can enhance calendar app little more than that would be big help than making find my iphone app native. I can always download find my iphone app if I need to. How in a world find my iphone app helps when iphone itself is missing which has such app installed. We using icloud to search missing iphone and it works well so what's point of making such app native. And trust me friends or family members including highschool or college kids not like to be tracked by their parents. So, find my iphone app is not must have native app.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wish Apple would at least give us an option to not show these apps like the do with the iCloud Drive app. Quite telling that it's the only Apple app that can be hidden.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

True

If you have No Friends or Family, why would you ever need to find them ??

And by deductive reasoning, since you have no friends or family,

Who would ever ask you to use your iPhone's, 'Finf My IPhone' app, to help them locate their lost phone. ...sheesh

Sometimes Apple really doesn't 'Think Differently". ...enough.

Your solution is brilliant by the way

Go Apple !!!!

Even you have family and friends but they don't want to be tracked. My own two college kids whose uses iphones bought by me and monthly plan paid by me still refuse to be tracked by find my iphone app.. So, Apple needs to let such app not installed natively or best let it be removed if installed by default with new iphone and any ios update to not reinstalled if already removed.

• Reply 11 of 46
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dejavux wrote: »
    Workaround:

Why do I get this feeling if we were talking about Android or Samsung people would be making fun of the 'bloatware'? But with Apple it's shove them in a folder and shut up. It seems every new iOS release we get another new app or two that aren't removable. I'd call that bloatware.
  • Reply 12 of 46

Is it possible that adding more native apps and such possible increase size of ios 9 taking more default storage space, Apple will offer the starting storage of iphone 6S with 32GB ?

• Reply 13 of 46

Don't be such a drama queen.  These ain't "bloatware".  You just have no friends.

• Reply 14 of 46
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why do I get this feeling if we were talking about Android or Samsung people would be making fun of the 'bloatware'? But with Apple it's shove them in a folder and shut up. It seems every new iOS release we get another new app or two that aren't removable. I'd call that bloatware.

The apps take up a few megabytes at most. Android's apps take up much more, they're usually third party stuff that's had paid placement like Zinio, Kindle, etc.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why do I get this feeling if we were talking about Android or Samsung people would be making fun of the 'bloatware'? But with Apple it's shove them in a folder and shut up.

That's because on android and Samsung that bloatware mostly serves the purpose of carriers to try and charge you for extra "services", or it's there to benefit Google or Samsung rather than being useful for the user. My friend told me that it happened to him all the time that his 2 years old son accidentally opened those uninstallable apps by AT&T on his Samsung, for example, and he'd be charged for "features". On iOS, on the other hand, those default apps mostly are useful for the user or at least not invasive.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    smileydudesmileydude Posts: 111member
    You keep saying native apps, but I'm not sure if you know what that means... all iOS apps from the App Store and pre-installed are native apps. This is just bundling it with the OS instead of requiring a separate download.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Find my iPhone is awesome and I was glad to have the app on me wife's phone why I needed it. It makes sense to have it installed by default, since you can't really know when you need it. When you do need it, you'll probably be glad it's already there on someone else's iPhone. My only remark is that it should be called "find my devices" or something along those lines: why would you need to find your iPhone when it'd have to be already in your hand since you're using the app! Does anyone agree with this?
  • Reply 18 of 46
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    dejavux wrote: »
    Workaround:

My app group is called useless shit. Maps is in it as well.

I like this find my friends. My girlfriend and I use it all the time with each other. When she's out with friends downtown on campus it let's me have that extra safety measure.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

Even you have family and friends but they don't want to be tracked. My own two college kids whose uses iphones bought by me and monthly plan paid by me still refuse to be tracked by find my iphone app.. So, Apple needs to let such app not installed natively or best let it be removed if installed by default with new iphone and any ios update to not reinstalled if already removed.

I sure don't want to be tracked by anyone, family or friends, and I'm sure none of them do either, I mean why?  Seems over bearing to me.  That might be something a Parent would do with their 12 year old maybe, but really, who wants this? 

• Reply 20 of 46
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member
    Most of Apple's pre-loaded apps are abandon-ware. Nothing new here. Other than a splash of color, they're untouched and mediocre to what 3rd parties can provide.