Apple's Schiller talks iPhone storage, thin design tradeoffs, single-port MacBook and more

12467

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    schlack wrote: »
    I don't know why everyone is so hard on 16GB storage.

    It's brilliant market positioning.

    Plenty of people will never use/need more than 16GB. No reason for Apple to incur excess component costs for people who won't appreciate it. My parents and siblings are good examples.

    But many people will want 64GB, and feel like they're getting good value in stepping up to that model for only $100. My wife and I are in this category.

    Great segmentation/bifurcation of the market place.

    Is that you Phil? Or maybe your middle name is "upsell"? :D
  • Reply 62 of 122
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

    If that is Apple's plan going forward making the hardware a bit more future proof.

    I respect the idea behind this post, but remember that Apple is already very generous here.

     

    My iPhone 4S runs iOS8, and may run iOS9, even if not all capabilities are there.

    How many any-other-smartphones as old as the 4S run the newest O/S release from their makers?  Probably very small %age.

     

    We have an Aluminum Macbook bought in early 2009, that upgraded to Yosemete! 

    I was pleasantly surprised when it was able to run Mavericks!  It's an Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz with "maxxed" ram at 4GB.

    Running the latest O/S in 2015?  Very generous given 6+ years of development of the worlds most advanced O/S. 

    No complaints if it can't run El-Cap.

     

    Actually if it hurries up and dies we can replace it with a base full-sized iPad, or a base Macbook. 

    Its use is only light internet & an occasional short e-mail.

    Darn Apple making awesome products that last forever: 


    • Dropped a few times

    • My 2 year old stood on it (closed) several years back

    • battery life still reasonable for its age

    • great Aluminum shell that still looks brand new when cleaned up.

    • Nice screen that still looks bright and has all its pixels.

     

    We sold a 3-4 yr old White plastic iBook G4 for nearly $500 when we bought the MacBook.  Maybe we should sell...

  • Reply 63 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    No, it was boring and complety predictable. I knew every answer he was going to make before he made it. I could of been up there and answered those questions the same way. Sometimes Apple's marketing strategy and message is a little stale and boring because you know exactly what it's going to be like. Not really surprised by Apple all that much any more.

    Sure there's little Schiller said that wasn't predictable but I didn't expect anything else. Most companies rarely go off message. Apple is no different.
  • Reply 64 of 122
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member

    Apple received grief when they dumped the 5 1/4 floppy in favor of the 3.5" floppy. More grief when the iMac only came with a CD-ROM, no floppy or even a ZipDrive. Then more grief as they got rid of cd/dvd drives over the last couple of years on the iMac and MacBook Pros. Change is inevitable and Apple is just pushing the edge of the envelope whenever they can. It makes the competition (with a dose of fanboi or hater fanaticism) push themselves to equal and/or surpass Apple's own ideas.

  • Reply 65 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    aelegg wrote: »
    I respect the idea behind this post, but remember that Apple is already very generous here.

    My iPhone 4S runs iOS8, and may run iOS9, even if not all capabilities are there.
    How many any-other-smartphones as old as the 4S run the newest O/S release from their makers?  Probably very small %age.

    We have an Aluminum Macbook bought in early 2009, that upgraded to Yosemete! 
    I was pleasantly surprised when it was able to run Mavericks!  It's an Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz with "maxxed" ram at 4GB.
    Running the latest O/S in 2015?  Very generous given 6+ years of development of the worlds most advanced O/S. 
    No complaints if it can't run El-Cap.

    Actually if it hurries up and dies we can replace it with a base full-sized iPad, or a base Macbook. 
    Its use is only light internet & an occasional short e-mail.
    Darn Apple making awesome products that last forever: 
    • Dropped a few times
    • My 2 year old stood on it (closed) several years back
    • battery life still reasonable for its age
    • great Aluminum shell that still looks brand new when cleaned up.
    • Nice screen that still looks bright and has all its pixels.

    We sold a 3-4 yr old White plastic iBook G4 for nearly $500 when we bought the MacBook.  Maybe we should sell...

    But it's about the experience. Does iOS 8 run WELL on the iPhone 4S? Maybe for you it does but I know people who have not had a great experience. Ars Technica ran a story on this testing out iOS 8 on older devices and the experience was mixed. It seems with iOS 9 Apple is focusing on the experience and performance on older devices which is great.
  • Reply 66 of 122
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

    lots of nonsense. My last business trip from NY to FL we were delayed twice - It was a sea of white cords and iPhones at the power stations at the terminal. They didn't take Stamina Mode from Android and put it into iOS because they hit a "balance" they did it to try and solve a problem.

     

    Also the SD card BS... just say you want people to upgrade for the money. You never been on a plane? you never gotten the awful 40 dollars on board WiFi service?...  I bet he has the largest storage iPhone available - No it is not easier or even realistic to have your files in the cloud.

     

    All he needed to say was Beats Audio is great, and a 500 dollar watch made in Taiwan makes sense for the BS award of the day.

     

    Macs, agree - always been bold with design ideas. That is how they need to be.

  • Reply 67 of 122
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

    Does iOS 8 run WELL on the iPhone 4S?

     

    Point taken.  It's not great.  iOS6 was my last "favorite".  That O/S was like liquid.  So fluid and perfect it was like there WAS no O/S.

     

    With 7 began the occasional stuttering and "O/S-ness" that Apple usually tries to avoid.

     

    Right now some iPhone pics won't make it over to the iMac at home over Wi-Fi.  What's up with that?  Before and after yes.  And I don't know a way to "MAKE" them go over either.  If I must have them, I have to e-mail them to myself.

  • Reply 68 of 122
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

     



    What is it people have against "choice". Apple does make iPhones with more storage, and yet obviously sell enough of the 16GB models to warrant keeping them. 

     

    Equally, Apple does sell notebooks with more ports, etc. ... the new MacBook is for those customers who value different features than what those offer. I can't tell you the last time I needed more than one port (plus power) ... but I do value low weight and a great keyboard/screen experience. So for some of us, Apple nailed it. For the rest, other products exist (and will get retina soon enough, I'm sure).


     

    Come on, is storage space really that much more expensive?  Look at the iPhone 6.  Apple did 16, then 64 and then 128.  Where's the 32?  What it was all about is getting that extra $100 from most people to get the 64 gig version!!!  That's a big jump from 16.  Why didn't Apple just start at 32 gig's?  Because many people wouldn't have spent a extra $100 to go 64 gig's as 32 gig's would have been enough.  That was what my iPhone 4 had that I upgraded from.  

     

    This was 100% abut getting more money from people. Not selling a low cost iPhone.  Not that a iPhone is low cost to begin with.  For the price Apple charges, 32 gig's at this point in time should be Minimum.  you can't put everything on the cloud.  Most everyone have Data Caps, you are limited on how much you could stream from icloud or any other type of cloud service.

     

    The Macbook's 1 USB-C port would have been fine if Apple also kept the Magsafe 2 power port also!!!

  • Reply 69 of 122
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    sog35 wrote: »
    If someone can pay $650 for a phone, I'm pretty sure they can pay $750 if they really wanted to.

    If they are that desperate for $100 they would buy a $200 Android.

    Most people are not paying 650+ up front.

    I got my 6 plus thru T-Mobile. Nothing upfront fur 16 GB model but $100 up front for a 64 or $200 up front for a 128.

    That right there might be enough for a person just to get a 16 GB.

    Some People only have so much money to dish out each month.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post


    time to upgrade

     

    Yeah we've been super-foolish hanging onto 4S's this long.

     

    We almost went with 6 but delayed too long (lazy) and now it's too close to September.

  • Reply 71 of 122
    I wonder if it is possible to move those Apple apps I don't use to the cloud?
  • Reply 72 of 122
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pepe779 View Post

     



    Look at the entire MS/Nokia Lumia lineup - all you get is 4/8/16 GB phones (and one 32 GB model). Regardless of how much these phones cost, do you think MS has no vested interest in their own app market? Look at the Samsung Galaxy S series - again, 16/32/64 GB versions, only the new S6 has changed the strategy and starts at 32 GB. The same with Galaxy Note - 16/32/64 GB. Need more examples and/or do you still think Apple is doing anything wrong in this matter?

     

    Personally, I only have 16 GB devices (except for my iPad Air, which is 32 GB) and I have never felt any storage limitations. My photos and videos are all in iCloud, my music on my two iPods and I don't need 350 apps installed on my iPhones. But again, if you need more, you have the option, not sure why does anybody expect Apple (or any other company for that matter) to provide extra storage at no cost.


     

    my iPhone 4 was 32 gig's and was limiting and I had no video's on it.  Pictures, sure, but not a ton and it was almost full.  my iPad 3 is 64 gig's and I have to keep deleting Apps to make room for newer stuff.   A lot of Apps on the iPad are even larger in size, and some a extra graphics download file.   Space is eaten up even faster.  When I got my iPhone 6, I went with 128 Gig's.  I have Lots of room now.  I tend to keep my devices for a while.  I had that iPhone 4 for over 4+ years.  

     

    16 Gig's t me is a joke.  I don't know how you can do a whole lot of anything.  A few Apps, a few pictures.  Remember the higher the Mega Pixel the camera is the larger the file size.  So your pictures are now larger in size.  You're really limited on the size of a video to record.  You can't record and be dumping to the cloud at the same time!!!

     

    There's only 1 reason Apple stuck with 16 Gig's and didn't bump it up to 32 gigs, it was all about MONEY!  In fact it was all about grabbing a extra $100 from people!!!   A majority of people that spent a extra $100 just to get the 64 gig version, because it was only $100 more to go from 16 gig's to 64 gigs, you might as well.  If 32 Gig's was the low end, most of them would have just gotten the 32-gig version and saved the $100.  That's the only reason Apple kept the 16 gig version.  In the past going from 16 to 32 to 64 would have been  $100 at each step, so $200 to go from 16 to 64.   

  • Reply 73 of 122
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

     

     

    Come on, is storage space really that much more expensive?  Look at the iPhone 6.  Apple did 16, then 64 and then 128.  Where's the 32?  What it was all about is getting that extra $100 from most people to get the 64 gig version!!!  That's a big jump from 16.  Why didn't Apple just start at 32 gig's?  Because many people wouldn't have spent a extra $100 to go 64 gig's as 32 gig's would have been enough.  That was what my iPhone 4 had that I upgraded from.  

     

    This was 100% abut getting more money from people. Not selling a low cost iPhone.  Not that a iPhone is low cost to begin with.  For the price Apple charges, 32 gig's at this point in time should be Minimum.  you can't put everything on the cloud.  Most everyone have Data Caps, you are limited on how much you could stream from icloud or any other type of cloud service.

     

    The Macbook's 1 USB-C port would have been fine if Apple also kept the Magsafe 2 power port also!!!




    That's essentially what I wrote a few posts later. Albeit with a few less ??s and !!s.

  • Reply 74 of 122
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Until it doesn't. The MacBook isn't meant to be a power users machine. Millions of people get along just fine with one port on iPad. For people that need more ports there is the rMBP.
    Well I'm sure it's no surprise to you that I completely disagree with you.

    One port means you have to have a dongle in order to power your device and plug in an external drive at the same time (an option not available on the iPad, and a prime reason people buy a laptop over or in addition to an iPad). If you misplace or forget your dongle, then you have one choice -- power or storage. If you forget to get a full charge on your MacBook, before you need it, and don't have access to a dongle, then you're stuck.

    While Apple hopes you won't use external storage, despite the limited internal storage options, and stream all of your multimedia content from the cloud, there are times when that's not practical, like on an airplane. For that reason, flash drives, and portable external drives are still quite popular with the average consumer -- many have drives full of movies, music, photos, and other media that won't fit on their tiny internal drives.

    At a minimum there should have been two ports, a MagSafe power port, and the USB C port with power support for those content to use just one port, or alternately two USB-C (I'm just a fan of MagSafe). I'm not anti-USB C port, in fact I love the idea for interface with a desktop display and port replicator. But for a laptop most are buying for portable use, requiring a dongle to do more than one thing at a time is just unnecessary. And elimination of MagSafe is a shame on a device for which cords typically stretch across traffic paths in coffe houses, airports, libraries, etc.

    I will be surprised if Apple doesn't reverse this decision on the first revision, just like they did with the elimination of the FireWire port in the 2008 Aluminum MacBook.
  • Reply 75 of 122
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Yet they can dish out $150 each month on phone service?

    If someone can't find $99 down they have no business buying a $650 phone.

    If they can't find $99 in their budget are they saving for retirement?  For an emergency?  For their children's education?  Life insurance?  Seriously. If they can't find $99 they should get a $99 Android.

    Not all have the vast wealth you have.

    And is not necessarily they don't have $100.

    Sometimes it's just if they have justification to spend it.
  • Reply 76 of 122
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Why is it the most popular? Because people want it or because it's the one Apple produces most?

    The 16 GB is the most popular because it is the cheapest model and it offers the same functionality as the other models. I have that model and it's great and works for many people. The problem with the interview isn't the device itself. The problem is that Schiller made it seem as if the items that take up the most space can just be stored in iCloud. This isn't totally true because besides Photos, Apps take up most of the devices storage and they cannot be stored in iCloud.
  • Reply 77 of 122
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I think Apple should go with just 64 and 128 this next time around.

    I know it might put the company under but maybe give back to the users a bit this time.

    They been offering an entry level 16 GB model since 2010.

    It's 2015 now my man.

    I bet sales may actually increase even more too.
  • Reply 78 of 122
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Life is all about pro's and con's.  

    How much something is worth.  I would get your point if Apple only sold a 16GB model.  But they don't.  They give the customers the choice to upgrade.  IMO, $100 premium on a $650 product is not exorbatant markup.  If you truly need more than 16GB you should pay the extra $100 and be done with it.

    Think about it this way.  The price of the iPhone was $650 in 2007.  Since then Apple has added a ton of new services, features, and hardware.  The price is STILL $650 today!!!!  What a bargain!!!  I wish I could buy groceries for the same price as 2007!!!

    Use an inflation calculator and you will see that $650 in 2007 is $750 in 2015!!!!  So actually the iPhone is being sold for $100 less than in 2007!!!

    $650 in 2007 = $750 in 2015

    http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

    Tech get cheaper over the years.

    Whodathunkit?
  • Reply 79 of 122
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,924member
    portcity wrote: »
    It's one thing to stand up for your company, but it's another to do so by trying to cleverly insult the intelligence of your customers. Concerning the 16GB iPhone, everyone knows that apps take up most of a devices storage and they do not live in the cloud (once downloaded) but on your device. Also, we also know that as a result of technology advances the price of storage components decrease each year. This is why Apple dropped the 32 GB model. The 32 GB model could have easily replaced the 16 GB but that would have slightly decreased the already incredible profit margins for the company. He should have just said "the 16 GB model is our most popular model with customers" and left it at that.
    There's no insult. Hard to believe but there are many users that don't use a lot of apps.
    rogifan wrote: »
    So Apple doesn't have road maps for future products and features? Split view multitasking isn't something Apple just dreamt up in the last 6 months. I believe Schiller said they've been working on it for several years. There's no way it wasn't in the pipeline in 2013.

    Still on this? Again, you buy for current needs. If you wanted split screen, then you should've waited.
  • Reply 80 of 122
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Apple will admit how much of a mistake one port on the new Macbook was when the next version rolls out with at least two. That's about as good of an apology/admission you'll ever get from them, which most will freely accept as they ebay their old one to buy the new one.

    changing your design over time isnt "making a mistake", it's the normal evolution of a product. the software you use isnt still the original v1 versions, are they? no, they go thru constant iterations and modifications. its not a "mistake" for the v1 of a tool to not have features or changes found in v2, v3, etc...

    Ive mentioned in an interview he and Jobs agreed on this, that the beauty of design is they can change things in the next version, so why not try it? nothing is set in stone.
Sign In or Register to comment.