iOS 9 Maps provides en route traffic avoidance, voice and banner warnings

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Drivers using Apple Maps in iOS 9 will have the benefit of explicit traffic and construction warnings, including voice turn-by-turn suggestions for alternate routes, according to information shared with AppleInsider.

Reader Nick noted that on a recent road trip using an iPhone with the iOS 9 beta, Siri interrupted with warning that there was "heavy traffic ahead," and suggested a specific exit to avoid it. Later, Siri again warned about "roadwork ahead, with no traffic" while driving in Cleveland.

The new construction warnings, at least, are accompanied by on-screen banners that indicate where the work is taking place and how far away it is.

The iOS 8 version of Maps does incorporate traffic data, including alternate routes and details on the causes of backups, but the information is limited to route creation and estimating arrival times.

Maps will come with a variety of improvements when it launches alongside iOS 9 this fall, the most requested being a return of public transit directions. Transit data was once a staple of the app, but support disappeared in iOS 6 when Apple moved away from Google Maps for its own in-house mapping solution. Transit guidance is one factor that has kept Google Maps popular on the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Killer feature. Apple is treating Maps like it's in Beta, so expect awesome updates later this year.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member

They are catching up. We'll have to see how it compares to Waze routing though.

• Reply 3 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Talking of Siri, I was so hoping OS X 10.11 would finally bring Siri to Macs. Not for this purpose obviously! lol
  • Reply 4 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Great. I'd love it if Apple incorporated some Waze-like features, such as accident, obstruction and speed trap reporting from users.

• Reply 5 of 36
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member
    After using Waze for so many years, I guess I will have to give Apple Maps another chance. I like Waze for its ability to find the best route around traffic, which I thought was superior to both Apple Maps and Google Maps. Waze development seems to be increasingly focused on the social aspect, which is great for notifying one about traffic conditions and hazards, but otherwise is not important to me. Just get me from Point A to B the fastest way possible.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Dear Apple,

Your POI data is a hot mess.  Please fix that first.

Sincerely,

John.B

• Reply 7 of 36
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Nice, but Apple needs to steal the Green, Orange, Red traffic colors from Google, and also the bike maps.

• Reply 8 of 36
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I don't normally use Waze because the location services settings option are either "Always" and "Never".   I don't need a traffic app draining my battery in the background unnecessarily when I'm home, at work, grocery shopping, etc.

N.B. The Waze app hangs if you happen to start it when its set to "Never".

• Reply 9 of 36
    All those bells and whistles are fine and dandy. But I want to know about lane assistance!
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I like this feature. I prefer to see Apple Maps grow and compete, rather than simply just use Google Maps. Because as the trolls say, "but but but [S]Google[/S]Apple needs competition."
  • Reply 11 of 36
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Apple Maps auto-routed me around a sudden hazard on week one, years ago. When it was a brand-new app at its very weakest. It was great! But it didn't tell me out loud specifically WHY it was doing it (I had to tap on the screen to get a text explanation).

All I knew was that Siri told me to make a turn on the way home that made no sense, and I obeyed%u2014and saved myself a huge headache. Once I got home I looked at the map and saw a little warning icon on the road I'd have normally expected to take. I tapped it, and it told me (text) that there was a tree down across the road according to local police.

The tree had to have fallen just minutes before my journey: I was driving right after the end of a short but powerful storm. I was impressed that local police info (US) was getting into the Maps app so rapidly, with Siri automatically helping me avoid it.

(I don't know whether that warning icon was treated as a "closed road," or if Siri simply responded to knowing that traffic speed had fallen to 0 on that road. All I know is that I was spared the hassle, and the icon told me the exact cause. And I saw several other warning icons across the city when I panned around%u2014all for trees down.)

[INDENT][B]Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla[/B]

[I]Nice, but Apple needs to steal the Green, Orange, Red traffic colors from Google, and also the bike maps.[/I]
    [/INDENT]

Bike maps would be a great addition—but traffic colors have been in Apple Maps for ages. Tap the (i) to turn on Traffic if it's not already on.

(PS%u2014I like how the forum turns a double dash into garbage code :p It's 1980 and ASCII is king!)
  • Reply 12 of 36
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member

So when the hundreds of millions of people with iPhones get the same "alternate routes" tips as you when you're stuck in traffic, what's the point? The traffic will just follow you.

• Reply 13 of 36
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    They are catching up. We'll have to see how it compares to Waze routing though.

why does it matter? i dont use Waze. i use Maps. thus the feature adds value, whether Waze has it or not.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Dear Apple,

Your POI data is a hot mess.  Please fix that first.

Sincerely,

John.B

Dear John:

We have over twenty thousand people working for Apple. We can work on more than one thing at the same time. Thank you. 

Love,

Apple

• Reply 15 of 36
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

why does it matter? i dont use Waze. i use Maps. thus the feature adds value, whether Waze has it or not.

Exactly. I use Maps. I could care less what Waze does. This feature will improve my experience.

• Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Probably because it's not just about you.  There are many features in Waze that has some users sticking to it until the Apple alternative catches up...such as better routing, user reportable hazards, accidents, police etc.

• Reply 17 of 36
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

I think people forget what Apple maps was like under google:

• The POI was overpopulated with closed businesses so google could claim a high number of listings.

• The mapping was "ok" outside of the USA, but certainly not what I would call great or trustworthy (it still has errors in major business areas here in Sydney.)

• There were never any bike maps, not that it matters since bike maps have never been accurate anyway.

• Most importantly however it that there was no turn-by-turn navigation, the key feature of maps was missing and Google was more than happy at keeping it off iOS to artificially favour their Android OS.

There is a reason why google lost nearly 30% of map users to apple's solution. Because despite some early teething, apple maps was good enough and gave people turn-by-turn navigation, that's all that most people wanted.

• Reply 18 of 36

I just wish that Apple Maps had higher contrast map views. I have to use Google Maps because I can at least read their maps in the car.

• Reply 19 of 36
    joncojonco Posts: 25member

Why is the distance to the next turn so big and the street name so small. A bit backwards. The name of the street and which way to turn is what's most important. The distance is not always accurate. The distance reported is still says 50 feet while in the middle of the turn.

• Reply 20 of 36
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

For you, that's fine. Many other people prefer to use the best product for a purpose, and the best product may be about to gain some competition.