There are no NEW ideas...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's all been done before... or at least THOUGHT of before. Nothing new can be or will be invented; just new versions of the same things.

Maybe, just maybe, Apple will surprise us. But I doubt it. So don't get your hopes up.

Happy Monday!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Thanks for the insight - :confused:

What does this at all pertain to?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Maybe God (err... Apple) is dead? (wait, that rumor's been kicked aroundtoo)

Perhaps Apple will announce a sell out to Intel/Microsoft (err... That's just sick)

Perhaps Apple will astound us with a G6 1 terra-hertz (or not)

Maybe Apple will get up on stage and say, welcome to the expo, I hope you enjoy the show, then hand around a single polaroid photo of a new iDevice.

Maybe having the entire wireless network around campus go down this weekend had thus overdoseing on coffee has caused my brain to fuse...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to General Discussion...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    Thanks Jamie. Lost my head.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by clonenode:

<strong>It's all been done before... or at least THOUGHT of before. Nothing new can be or will be invented; just new versions of the same things.</strong><hr></blockquote>

In 1844, the US Patent Office petitioned Congress to abolish the US Patent Office. EXACTLY as you have, they argued that it had all officially "been done": every useful and/or worthwhile thing had already been imagined, designed, & put into production. To keep a substantial government bureau in operation to manage non-existent future growth would, under the circumstances, be foolish & inappropriate, as well as wasteful.

I'm sure you're enraged that Congress did NOT close the pat.off. 166 years ago.

Wait - 166 years ago??? 166!! the new bus is coming!

I've gotta grab my books & get up to the corner! See ya!!!

[quote]<strong>Maybe, just maybe, Apple will surprise us. But I doubt it. So don't get your hopes up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So, you're on the low end of a sugar jag, so WE ought to get negative too?

I'm sure this is a personal question, but: what could you POSSIBLY be getting out of this foolish petulance?

[quote]<strong>Happy Monday! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Off to a great start, thank you.

[ 07-15-2002: Message edited by: Capt. Obvious ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I'm not, generally, this pessimistic. I just felt like stirring things up a bit this morning. Got so gung-ho, I originally posted this in the "Future Hardware" forum. I guess if I had postulated on an actual, specific, future hardware device, it would have been appropriate. But it got bumped over here to "General Discussion", which is a fine place, just fine. There's a lot of action here.

[ 07-15-2002: Message edited by: clonenode ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Well, I can certainly see why you'd toss this particular gem in FH; usually, it's the Dawg flinging this sort of thing about - and it usually works pretty well for him (dammit!).
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    ...so is there a specific need that you need Apple to address that you could share? Saying "no new ideas" isn't constructive, and doesn't address anything. (Resisting urge for smarta$$ reply here... )

Besides, Apple is a business not a techinal research think-tank, and they can't afford to just release a bunch of "new" and "cool" things that don't have markets for them. There are a lot of examples of products that were too far "ahead of their time" and failed miserably because no one new what to make of them. Being a couple of years ahead of the market is great; being a decade ahead isn't.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I am just commenting (in a tangental way) on the rumor mongering that goes on for the next best nifty spiffy whatsit gadget. My thoughts run closer to yours than you realize.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by clonenode:

<strong>It's all been done before... or at least THOUGHT of before. Nothing new can be or will be invented; just new versions of the same things.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Blatant South Park quote: "The Simpsons did it!!! The Simpsons did it!!!"
  • Reply 11 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    or for the more pretentious, Plato:

"And there is nothing new under the sun."
  • Reply 12 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    [quote]I'm sure you're enraged that Congress did NOT close the pat.off. 166 years ago.

Wait - 166 years ago??? 166!! the new bus is coming!<hr></blockquote>

Umm, do the math. 2002 - 1844 = 158. So now we'll have a 158 MHz bus?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>or for the more pretentious, Plato:

"And there is nothing new under the sun."</strong><hr></blockquote>

"Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose"

(me, trembling as the grade-school French lurches from its coffin & staggers to its feet....)
  • Reply 14 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>Umm, do the math. 2002 - 1844 = 158. So now we'll have a 158 MHz bus?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ummm, yeah, ummm, it'll be a 158mHz bus - 'cuz, uh, cuz it'll work better that way. In fact, this'll be so cool that it's all Stevie will talk about the whole time he's on the stage, y'think?

Definately, at least a 158mHz bus, yeah.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by Capt. Obvious:

<strong>

"Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose"</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was hoping someone could give it to us in the original Greek.