Apple posts full WWDC 2015 keynote extravaganza online

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why? Because no new hardware was announced? Is that the only thing newsworthy? What news were you expecting that you didn't get?

He wanted Ming Chi on stage with a trapeze act.

Thanks for completely misunderstandind AppleMusic. It's not a Spotify clone. image

Well. thank you so much for your thorough and comprehensive retort, enumerating the countless differences between Apple Music and Spotify...oh wait.  All you actually did was demonstrate that you can't spell and use hyperbole to overstate your disagreement with my comparison.  I haven't "completely misunderstood" Apple Music at all.

• Reply 22 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple should stay away from comedy.

I agree with this.  Federighi seems like a really nice guy, and I find him a pleasant stage presence, but the jokes are at best average dad jokes, and are normally worse.  I just don't find pictures of Eddy Cue in silly poses all that funny, time to give it a rest.

I think the crowd is problematic here, they're all so high on being in the keynote (hey I probably would be too) that they cheer and laugh at near enough everything.  Not so many jokes in the press events.

• Reply 23 of 39
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    kindredmac wrote: »
    More like Snoozapalooza 2015...
    I haven't been this utterly bored by the lack of news coming out of Apple like ever... And that is going back almost 20 years.

but, but -- "Apple should just focus on fixing bugs and stability!"

...you do realize theyre damned if they do and if they dont, right?
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Multitasking, transit maps, native watch apps, developer created complications, Metal on OSX...all stuff that should have been in earlier OS releases. A three hour presentation and the only actual news was Swift is going to be open source.

ah yeah -- if they release what was demanded, the appropriate troll response is, "It should have been there to begin with." right. got it. thanks.

Outside of that it seems like Apple has spent a year doing nothing.

yeah, i bet youre right -- i bet they just played a bunch of deathmatch all year. that must be it.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    freerange wrote: »
    As to "the worst Apple presentation ever", the fact is they are putting more faces out there for the presentations who haven't done this before and it shows. This is to be expected as more key players are introduced to the public, which is their new more open strategy.

bingo, you nailed it. these are new players on the stage -- and despite what the complainers think, presenting on stage in a massive venue is not easy. it's nerve wracking and takes a lot of practice and experience to overcome the butterflies, nervousness, etc.

luckily for us, it's not a theatrical performance we're grading them on. its a dev conference!!
  • Reply 26 of 39

I think the reason why this WWDC felt off or non-cohesive is because it was.  It is my firm belief that they pulled the star of the show at the last minute and stretched every thing else out to fill the space.  The star of the show?  Look at the posters, the shape of the image at the center, the tag line even, "The epicenter of change".  What about Apple Music or Watch2.0 or iOS/OSX changes are epicenters of the Apple experience?  None of them.  They are pieces of a larger ecosystem.  The AppleTV v4 via HomeKit would usher in this era, but they whiffed.  Something happened.  This WWDC was supposed to be about AppleTV as the center, the hub of your digitally connected life.  The home kit partners even launched all their products the week leading into the show, but left with nothing to push their sales.  No, something happened that prevented the launch of the AppleTV v4, which hung everything else with homekit on the vine.  At the last minute, they had to scrap together a show and they did, but collectivity, it was an unremarkable snooze fest.  I guess, they'll spend up some more money and launch probably smaller on campus or something later in the year alongside the next iPhone/iPad.  

• Reply 27 of 39
    mstone wrote: »
    The comedic intro was horrible. There were a couple other lame joke attempts in the presentation but all fell flat in my opinion. Even last year with Steven Colbert wasn't very good. Apple should stay away from comedy.

the video was amusing. so there ya go.

also, Craig's jokes are often the most laughed at parts of these, so i dont know why theyd need to stay away from them. it makes somewhat bland material (email clients, etc, arent exactly hot topics) more tolerable. humor lightens the load and lifts the mood.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    crowley wrote: »
    I agree with this.  Federighi seems like a really nice guy, and I find him a pleasant stage presence, but the jokes are at best average dad jokes,

he knows that -- everybody knows theyre dad jokes (Gruber has even talked about his dad jokes), but he does them anyway and we look forward to it. its dry material, folks.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    asterionasterion Posts: 112member
    Well, I've not been able to even view the WWDC presentation yet, as the stupid all-singing-all-dancing page Apple has thrown up crashes the video feed after about 5 minutes. Picture stalls but sound continues.
    Why Apple can't just use the tried and tested YouTube or Vimeo, or ANYTHING except their own web-guys I don't know.
    The old Apple event vids used to just be on an simple webpage as a video. No frills, no Twitter feed, just good old-fashioned reliability.

So annoying.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asterion View Post

Well, I've not been able to even view the WWDC presentation yet, as the stupid all-singing-all-dancing page Apple has thrown up crashes the video feed after about 5 minutes. Picture stalls but sound continues.

Why Apple can't just use the tried and tested YouTube or Vimeo, or ANYTHING except their own web-guys I don't know.

The old Apple event vids used to just be on an simple webpage as a video. No frills, no Twitter feed, just good old-fashioned reliability.

So annoying.

The stream is on their youtube channel and their site and has been working flawlessly.  Your internet connection maybe?  Have you tried working with your ISP?

• Reply 31 of 39
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    I was vaguely expecting:
    - key software improvements for iOS and wOS ('woz' haha) for greater stability and integration
    - key software improvements directly related to battery life
    - improved reliability and refinement of bugs and glitches
    - of course music services

I was surprised by:
    - open sourcing of Swift
    - TimeMachine for wOS

I was emboredened by:
    - the consumer-focussed nature of the entire event. This is supposed to be the wwDc, innit? Even so, the presentation of content contained even more auto-cue reading, misreadings, and a noticable lack of enthusiasm from both presenters and audience.

I will re-watch the event and try to weed out the nuggets from the huge amount of chaff, but I'm thinking 2015 is the Year of Boredom in Keynotes.

Quite unimpressed - can I say 'dis-impressed' at this point?
  • Reply 32 of 39
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

I was surprised by:

- open sourcing of Swift

I was emboredened by:

- the consumer-focussed nature of the entire event. This is supposed to be the wwDc, innit? Even so, the presentation of content contained even more auto-cue reading, misreadings, and a noticable lack of enthusiasm from both presenters and audience.

I'm thinking 2015 is the Year of Boredom in Keynotes.

I agree with all that. I was particularly unimpressed by two presenters, the Apple Pay lady who seems to believe she works for HSBC (I mean, can you deliver a more corporate talk ever? I don't think so) and the Apple Music guy (Iovine) who, pardon my English, sounds f***g sleazy to me. "My great friend Eddy", "connect fans and artists" etc etc. Sweet Jesus. I've heard men speak that way before. It's always resulted in horrible datamining and money grabbing operations. These things are not designed for the love of innovation, well executed products, or art.

I've heard of Iovine on Ai, as that "beats guy who revolutionised the music industry". He looks like a smooth shark. He sounds like a smooth shark. He's insanely rich, powerful and well-connected. What other sign would you need that this guy is dangerous? I'm not saying he's not going to bring billions to Apple, I'm saying that his kind create the SONY Musics of the world. I have a hard time thinking that Cook and Iovine play the same game...

On the technical side though, i thought the announcements were pretty nice. I particularly like the idea of Watch having home kit integration!

• Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeebleu View Post

I think the reason why this WWDC felt off or non-cohesive is because it was.  It is my firm belief that they pulled the star of the show at the last minute and stretched every thing else out to fill the space.  The star of the show?  Look at the posters, the shape of the image at the center, the tag line even, "The epicenter of change".  What about Apple Music or Watch2.0 or iOS/OSX changes are epicenters of the Apple experience?  None of them.  They are pieces of a larger ecosystem.  The AppleTV v4 via HomeKit would usher in this era, but they whiffed.  Something happened.  This WWDC was supposed to be about AppleTV as the center, the hub of your digitally connected life.  The home kit partners even launched all their products the week leading into the show, but left with nothing to push their sales.  No, something happened that prevented the launch of the AppleTV v4, which hung everything else with homekit on the vine.  At the last minute, they had to scrap together a show and they did, but collectivity, it was an unremarkable snooze fest.  I guess, they'll spend up some more money and launch probably smaller on campus or something later in the year alongside the next iPhone/iPad.  

That's a very, very interesting view. Might be a bit "conspiracy theory", but I want to believe this. I prefer wildly an apple that whipped out a boring presentation after a product failed to deliver on time (shit_happens) to an Apple that thinks Apple Music is a game changer worthy of taking the stage at a developer event...

• Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

bingo, you nailed it. these are new players on the stage -- and despite what the complainers think, presenting on stage in a massive venue is not easy. it's nerve wracking and takes a lot of practice and experience to overcome the butterflies, nervousness, etc.

luckily for us, it's not a theatrical performance we're grading them on. its a dev conference!!

Hell yes, that's so true. Even presenting at a small venue is bloody hard. I've done that and I hope all copies are gone, because I'm feeling ill just remembering it. Only thing that soothes me is.... since I was bad, people probably forgot all about me. It seems people only remember the good presentations, since what's the point of using brain power for failures?

Fact, the "social systems" use the same nerve controls as the "pain systems" in the body, which explains while social failure (and the heightened stakes ones such as presenting in front of huge audiences...) is so hard on people.

• Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

As to Jimmy Iovine's presentation, it is quite obvious that he was not well rehearsed, if at all. I wonder why? Oh yeah, because he' s been busy trying to close the streaming deals into the 11th hour! Duh!

I hope you're right and I'm wrong. I feel such a bad vibe coming from this guy... he scares me.

• Reply 36 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    brakken wrote: »
    I was vaguely expecting:
    - key software improvements for iOS and wOS ('woz' haha) for greater stability and integration
    - key software improvements directly related to battery life
    - improved reliability and refinement of bugs and glitches
    - of course music services

I was surprised by:
    - open sourcing of Swift
    - TimeMachine for wOS

I was emboredened by:

I will re-watch the event and try to weed out the nuggets from the huge amount of chaff, but I'm thinking 2015 is the Year of Boredom in Keynotes.

Quite unimpressed - can I say 'dis-impressed' at this point?

"TimeTravel" for the watch, not "TimeMachine".
  • Reply 37 of 39
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The comedic intro was horrible. There were a couple other lame joke attempts in the presentation but all fell flat in my opinion. Even last year with Steven Colbert wasn't very good. Apple should stay away from comedy.

Agree & disagree. I sort-of took this year's intro to be a not-so-subtle jab at some of the "other guys" who do these terrible, overproduced, under-rehearsed, laughable snoozefests of productions to try to get their "audience" excited about whatever LAME products they're trying to peddle. I thought it was funny, albeit a little over the top. I think it's wise to keep it in a well orchestrated intro video rather than doing it live action. I thought this year's intro video was a better move than the "backstage hair disaster" from a year or two ago. 

All in all, I think we can count on Apple, at least more than anyone else, to have some taste. I also think Apple has enough critics out there that if it does go too far, they'll get the message loud & clear and dial it down a notch. I think Apple has a lot of fun doing what they do, and I think the post-Jobs presentations reflect that corporate culture. 

Or maybe I'm a kool-aid drinking stooge.

• Reply 38 of 39
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brakken View Post

I was vaguely expecting:

'wOS' sounds awesome! Much better than 'watch OS'

OSX

iOS

wOS

8-)