Inside iOS 9: Apple's iPad-only 'Picture in Picture' mode lets you keep watching video with any task

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78

Not that I should be surprised, but all the little details seem quite well thought out (placement, automatic adjustment for home row, etc). As others have mentioned, this feels a lot like QuickTime Player on OS X. I tend to watch a fair amount of video this way on my Mac now while I'm working on other tasks. Glad to see them finally expanding the capabilities of the iPad (I just wish more of it was coming to the iPad Mini Retina I currently own, but I understand the RAM limitations).

• Reply 22 of 78
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I'm disappointed that the original iPad Air didn't make the cut for multitasking support, only PIP. It's a pretty beefy unit but I guess the scrimping on RAM may have been its downfall. Still, I'd expect a highly motivated embedded software developer worth his salt would have found a way to not only make it work on the Air but work very well. I wonder if Apple has any Woz-like geniuses in their iOS ranks who can handle problems like this? It's not like competing platforms haven't been able to pull off similar capability on lesser hardware than the original iPad Air. Maybe I'm overly optimistic or biased by wishful thinking but seeing what I consider to be an extremely capable platform not make the cut is very disappointing.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

This looks like a really cool and useful feature (I know I'll use it), but somehow also distinctly un-Apple-like. I'm not saying it's bad or anything – I just feel that this doesn't fall along most of their design thinking. I'm so used to them going with a "purity of design", focused windows, nothing "messily placed just anywhere" sort of thinking (especially on the iPad) that this feels very out of character for Apple. I'm interested in seeing if we see more of these type of design decisions over the next couple years and if it's a trend rather than a one-off.

I wouldn't say it's un-Apple-like at all. (Waiting to do it right, both in UI and behind-the-scenes dev tools, WOULD be Apple-like. I hope they did it as well as it seems!)

I'd say it's making the iPad more Mac-like.

And iOS and the Mac have both been giving each other features for several years now. iOS has gained some Mac-like things, and OS X has gained some iOS-like things. This continues that evolution that started years ago.

• Reply 24 of 78
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

I'm disappointed that the original iPad Air didn't make the cut for multitasking support, only PIP. It's a pretty beefy unit but I guess the scrimping on RAM may have been its downfall. Still, I'd expect a highly motivated embedded software developer worth his salt would have found a way to not only make it work on the Air but work very well. I wonder if Apple has any Woz-like geniuses in their iOS ranks who can handle problems like this? It's not like competing platforms haven't been able to pull off similar capability on lesser hardware than the original iPad Air. Maybe I'm overly optimistic or biased by wishful thinking but seeing what I consider to be an extremely capable platform not make the cut is very disappointing.

I'm disappointed too, as an Air 1 owner! I hope they can change that limitation before release (I can dream).

But "working" isn't a yes/no question, it's a spectrum. How well does it work? How often does it work? Does it work with ALL apps, most apps, a few apps? Some of the time? Most of the time? When it fails to work well, what happens? Slowdowns, frustrations, unresponsive UI? Crashes? Loss of data you were working on?

One thing is for certain: the Air 2's CPU and GPU (and yes, RAM too) are WAY beyond the Air's. So however "well" split view could work on the Air, it will never work AS well as on the Air 2. So, how good is good enough? I often see that question being answered three ways:

• Apple: if it's not consistently good, disable that feature on older devices. We test to see what can be achieved.

• Apple power-users/tech hobbyists/forum goers: if it's not consistently good, let me have it on my older device anyway. I'll decide for myself when and if it's acceptable.

• The other 99% of users: if it's not consistently good, I will HATE it--this thing is broken!--FAR more than I will hate not having the new feature added.

• Reply 25 of 78
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    uniOS? If it's intuitive, and works flawlessly then it's fine with me. I welcome all of these enhancements.

Looking forward to playing with this on my iPad Air 2, but I hope iOS 9 makes my iPad 2 usable again.

Question: Can you flick the video from corner to corner a la FaceTime?
  • Reply 26 of 78
    rykeryke Posts: 3member
    What the PIP really needs to support is facetime.

Countless times I have been wanting to continue to browse the web and speak to my friends and loved-ones without pausing them.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

All of this multitasking stuff is a load of crap. Multitouch text selection? Custom keyboards? Now they need to add themes and MS-style illogical gestures. Bloated mess in 3 years.

No doubt you were complaining that iOS didn't have enough capabilities in the past.  Now it has too many?

• Reply 28 of 78

Everyone needs ignore what they're doing by ignoring something else at the same time.

• Reply 29 of 78
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 31 of 78

Dear Apple Fans!

How is it when your beloved brand is just playing catch up?

How many of people in this forum were laughing at Samsung for introducing allegedly useless features, too many CPU cores, too much RAM and more?

All of sudden a stylus seems to be useful? All of sudden PIP and multi-window are relevant features? Not to mention countless other features borrowed from Samsung and sometimes from Stock Android? Oh I forgot: Galaxy Note-sized phones for which Apple had to introduce one-hand-mode, unfortunately not that good as Samsung provided in its devices.

Many of you have been proud to have a 64 bit CPU in the iPads. What was it good for if not enough memory was put into that device. So many were talking about having bought a future-proof device, but now no multi -window in iPad air because Apple did not put enough RAM into it?

Guys, you could go to the next shop and buy a very cheap and outdated Galaxy S4. But do you know what? It is capable of multi-window function and PIP!

You should start reflecting a bit on your attitude towards other brands, but more importantly towards your own brand. Start asking yourself whether or not you have been fooled by Apple in the past few years!

And you should start asking yourself whether or not Samsung has been innovative, too. Come on guys, you could at least admit that Samsung is a bit innovative and Apple is copying from Samsung. What? Not even a bit? Shame on you!

• Reply 32 of 78

Hope you're wearing your flame proof underpants peschiera, lol

• Reply 33 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    peschiera wrote: »
    <p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;">Dear Apple Fans!</p>

<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;">How is it when your beloved brand is just playing catch up?</p>

<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;">How many of people in this forum were laughing at Samsung for introducing allegedly useless features, too many CPU cores, too much RAM and more?</p>

<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;">All of sudden a stylus seems to be useful? All of sudden PIP and multi-window are relevant features? Not to mention countless other features borrowed from Samsung and sometimes from Stock Android? Oh I forgot: Galaxy Note-sized phones for which Apple had to introduce one-hand-mode, unfortunately not that good as Samsung provided in its devices.</p>

<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;">Many of you have been proud to have a 64 bit CPU in the iPads. What was it good for if not enough memory was put into that device. So many were talking about having bought a future-proof device, but now no multi -window in iPad air because Apple did not put enough RAM into it?</p>

<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;">Guys, you could go to the next shop and buy a very cheap and outdated Galaxy S4. But do you know what? It is capable of multi-window function and PIP!</p>

<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;">You should start reflecting a bit on your attitude towards other brands, but more importantly towards your own brand. Start asking yourself whether or not you have been fooled by Apple in the past few years!</p>

<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;">And you should start asking yourself whether or not Samsung has been innovative, too. Come on guys, you could at least admit that Samsung is a bit innovative and Apple is copying from Samsung. What? Not even a bit? Shame on you!</p>

Who let the janitor use their computer to post this flamebait?
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is not a flamebait at all! It was neither personal nor an offence at you. It is just a wake-up call! You can stay with Apple and you can love itj. It is ok. But imagine the reaction if Samsung was adapting so many features from Apple!

• Reply 35 of 78
    imac.usrimac.usr Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peschiera View Post

Oh I forgot: Galaxy Note-sized phones for which Apple had to introduce one-hand-mode, unfortunately not that good as Samsung provided in its devices.

I haven't used a Note, can you elaborate on how its one-hand mode works differently? I have a 6 Plus and find it to be fairly uncomplicated.

• Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ryke View Post

What the PIP really needs to support is facetime.

Countless times I have been wanting to continue to browse the web and speak to my friends and loved-ones without pausing them.

FaceTime is supported.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Who knows, he earned a quick trip to the Block List (TM)

• Reply 37 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imac.usr View Post

I haven't used a Note, can you elaborate on how its one-hand mode works differently? I have a 6 Plus and find it to be fairly uncomplicated.

First of all, it is available also for normal S series, not only for the Note series.

It can be easily activated as demonstrated here:

http://phandroid.com/galaxy-s5-one-handed-operation/

It can be activated from both sides, depending on which hand you prefer.

Once activated, the screen size changes to that of a smaller phone. The size is configurable, so you could adapt it to whatever size you like, for instance to the pre-iPhone-6- size if you like,

The hardware buttons become available on the buttom of the screen.

Of course as typical for Samsung this mode has a few functions more, but they might not be relevant to all users.

In addition you can enjoy andoird-one-finger-zoom as well.

• Reply 38 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    smiles77 wrote: »

This looks like a really cool and useful feature (I know I'll use it), but somehow also distinctly un-Apple-like. I'm not saying it's bad or anything – I just feel that this doesn't fall along most of their design thinking. I'm so used to them going with a "purity of design", focused windows, nothing "messily placed just anywhere" sort of thinking (especially on the iPad) that this feels very out of character for Apple. I'm interested in seeing if we see more of these type of design decisions over the next couple years and if it's a trend rather than a one-off.

Scott Forstall would probably never have allowed it but thankfully he no longer works at Apple and iOS is finally catching up and/or surpassing the competition.
  • Reply 39 of 78

PIP is handy but I would very much prefer to have video Snap-In at the TOP of a portrait rotation so that I can use Safari or a game in the bottom part of the screen.

I've tried video as Snap-In on my iPad Mini but of course that is on the side of the screen which is not a good ratio for video.  And on every iPad that is Not the iPad Air 2, you can't operate the app that is below the Snap-In anyway.

So I'll take what I'm given and use PIP but because Safari won't resize around the video or game, I'll find I have to keep moving the video.

• Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:

It can be activated from both sides, depending on which hand you prefer.

Once activated, the screen size changes to that of a smaller phone. The size is configurable, so you could adapt it to whatever size you like, for instance to the pre-iPhone-6- size if you like,

The hardware buttons become available on the buttom of the screen.

The one thing I would have liked on the iPhone 6+ is that the top icons coming halfway down on the 2-tap should remain like that till another 2-tap is done. As of now, the screen goes back to the original after a single click, which makes it slightly cumbersome. Of course, it may be a technical limitation, given that we open different apps.

Quote:

In addition you can enjoy andoird-one-finger-zoom as well.

Well no. Enjoy and Android don't go too well together!!