Apple leases 26K-square-foot space in Pittsburgh for unknown project

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
Apple has leased one and a half floors, or about 26,000 square feet of floor space, of a mixed use development currently under construction in Pittsburgh, though the company's plans for the facility are unknown, a report said Thursday.

Apple will occupy half of a building at the new 3 Crossings development in Pittsburgh. | Source: Oxford Development Company

Sources informed the Pittsburgh Business Times of Apple's lease, which is good for roughly half of one building with 53,000 square feet of usable space at Oxford Development Company's 3 Crossings project. Apple already boasts a presence in Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University's Collaborative Innovation Center, but has been looking to expand into the city proper, the report said.

According to the publication, Oxford in March announced the first 3 Crossings building was fully leased with Rycon Construction as an anchor tenant. The firm declined repeated requests to divulge the name of the second lessee.

Designed as a mixed-use facility, Oxford calls Apple's property an Urban Flex design, describing a workspace with exposed ceilings, a minimal common area and copious natural daylighting. The space is suitable for general office, research and development, technology and product assembly needs, the company says.

Apple is slated to occupy the 3 Crossings location once construction is completed this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Oh, man. Alex Lindsay from PixelCorps is going to love this.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    There are three possibilities for this space:
    1. A new self-driving car
    2. A Fiat-Chysler based self-driving minivan
    3. A unicorn that predicts the future and shoots rainbows from its ass
  • Reply 3 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So when Jony said he'll get to travel more he meant Pittsburg? :D
  • Reply 4 of 19
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Pittsburgh = steel for iCar chassis. Pittsburg is in California.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member

This has nothing to do with any Apple Car.  Maybe it's as simple as another Apple Store!  

• Reply 6 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    There are three possibilities for this space:
    1. A new self-driving car
    2. A Fiat-Chysler based self-driving minivan
    3. A unicorn that predicts the future and shoots rainbows from its ass

Actually I thought PA was where Pages, Numbers and Keynote are developed. Seem to remember something about a software development team someplace in PA.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Apple is getting big on maps, including transit maps. Pittsburg might be a good location to manage the mapping data for the eastern half of the U.S. It's about equidistance from Chicago and NYC.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually I thought PA was where Pages, Numbers and Keynote are developed. Seem to remember something about a software development team someplace in PA.

I think you are partially right, I know they have had a position open in PGH for while now for programming work on iWork apps or something.  I see it listed as spreadsheets now.  I don't think the main team is in PGH, but I could be wrong.

• Reply 9 of 19
    numba1numba1 Posts: 23member
    Hot and humid in the summer; cold and snowy in the winter.

But the steel mills are gone and housing is relatively inexpensive. Great sports town and great universities. Great bagels in Squirrel Hill.

But......I think I will stay in California.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    numba1 wrote: »

But the steel mills are gone and housing is relatively inexpensive. Great sports town and great universities. Great bagels in Squirrel Hill.

Until you have no water. Then come to the Northeast where there's never a shortage of precipitation. ;)
  • Reply 11 of 19
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by numba1 View Post

I work with a co-worker and her and her ex husband traveled all over the world because of him being in the military and she has always said that PGH is a hidden gem of a city.  Out of all the places they traveled she loves PGH the best and ended up moving here after he passed away.  Personally I have been to a few places like Atlanta, Virgina, Las Vegas and I have to agree with her for the most part.  She has been to just about every city in the U.S. though so I have to take her word on it.  And I like snow too..lol.   The humidity isn't that bad until August/September, but it all depends on the weather.  Last year spring felt like summer and this year its been spring weather in the 60 and 70's for a while now.  I have always wanted to visit San Diego as I hate humidity and everyone says go there, but the cost of living is terrible.

• Reply 12 of 19
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

If we follow the autonomous car rumors, Carnegie Mellon University has one of the leading robotics research teams in the world. They had recently teamed with Uber to develop self-driving cars. But, now the rumors are flying fast that Uber backstabbed their purported partner by poaching much of Carnegie Mellon's research team, and will open their own research office in Pittsburgh.

Plus, let's not forget that CMU is where the Mach kernel that underpins OS X and iOS was developed. Would not surprise me if Apple's presence in Pittsburgh has some connection with CMU, Uber, or both.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/20/uber-poached-carnegie-mellon-robotics-lab/

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2015/06/04/Self-driving-cars-will-need-humans-as-they-get-in-gear/stories/201506040038

• Reply 13 of 19
    Maybe Apple XYZ
  • Reply 14 of 19
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    cashxx wrote: »

I work with a co-worker and her and her ex husband traveled all over the world because of him being in the military and she has always said that PGH is a hidden gem of a city.  Out of all the places they traveled she loves PGH the best and ended up moving here after he passed away.  Personally I have been to a few places like Atlanta, Virgina, Las Vegas and I have to agree with her for the most part.  She has been to just about every city in the U.S. though so I have to take her word on it.  And I like snow too..lol.   The humidity isn't that bad until August/September, but it all depends on the weather.  Last year spring felt like summer and this year its been spring weather in the 60 and 70's for a while now.  I have always wanted to visit San Diego as I hate humidity and everyone says go there, but the cost of living is terrible.
    come on, there is no city like New York. If you love him/her, send him/her to New York; if you hate him/her, send him/her to New York. Period.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Carnegie Mellon is in Pittsburgh, where there's AI work going on. Self-driving AI, anyone?
  • Reply 16 of 19

Modern day Pittsburgh has turned into a city of medical facilities. Perhaps Apple will be working on health apps here. 

• Reply 17 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    inkling wrote: »
    Apple is getting big on maps, including transit maps. Pittsburg might be a good location to manage the mapping data for the eastern half of the U.S. It's about equidistance from Chicago and NYC.

Congratulations! This appears to be your first non-negative post about Apple. Keep it up!
  • Reply 18 of 19

Can't be to develop the Apple Cheesesteak. Then they would have leased on this side of the state.

Come to Philly, Apple.

• Reply 19 of 19
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Oh, man. Alex Lindsay from PixelCorps is going to love this.

Huh. So they are still around I see. I happen to be sitting here in my old Pixel Corps t-shirt as I read this. I left after a couple years as they were dwindling to nothing. I'm wondering, when did they start the group? I think I was a member circa 2002. I learned about Twitter long before they were news from Alex L. I see they are closed to new members now.