First look: iOS 9's new cursor-controlling gesture keyboard on iPad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    sleakajsleakaj Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

You don't seem to remember that iOS 7 look was quite largely hated. And to think multitouch text selection and PIP are features for the 'majority' is like asking for a replaceable battery.

Largely hated? Hardly. Maybe the vocal minority gave you that impression, but the majority agreed that iOS needed a facelift given how often the word "stale" was used when describing iOS 6.

But I would expect a garbage statement like that considering the way you revere Forstall.

• Reply 42 of 51
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

And to think multitouch text selection and PIP are features for the 'majority' is like asking for a replaceable battery.

A replaceable battery to satisfy the few would negatively impact the structural integrity and design of everyone's iPhone.  A few software features that you don't have to use do not negatively impact your experience.  Don't like PIP?  Watch the video full screen.  Don't like multitouch text selection?  Don't use it.

• Reply 43 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I will reserve judgment until I'm able to try out. But from the demo Craig did it looked really cool and the audience was excited.

Re-review Craig's demo. The second time I watched him use this feature he accidentally inserted or moved a word in the sentence. It was a goof that he did a good job of covering up with showmanship, but it happened.

Regardless, I'm interested in using this keyboard feature.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    What would be most helpful is if it works like the arrow keys on a keyboard. You know, up, down, left, right one letter or row at a time...
  • Reply 45 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What would be most helpful is if it works like the arrow keys on a keyboard. You know, up, down, left, right one letter or row at a time...

Maybe simulate the arrow keys with brief two-finger directional swipes?
  • Reply 46 of 51
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 47 of 51
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Quote:

It doesn't work like this in software or product management. You always have resources and upkeep to manage.

Plus it's just ugly. I laughed when Craig said you can move it around and put it off screen. Can't you spot the problem right there?

No, what's the problem?

There's a few video channels I regularly watch on YouTube where I don't much care about the video, just the audio, so putting it in the corner while I do other things, or even entirely off screen would be useful.

• Reply 49 of 51
  • Reply 50 of 51

Why does every activity have to be deeply engaged with?

• Reply 51 of 51
    This is really a pointless feature. The whole point to having a physical mouse is accuracy. The mouse has been around for 30 some years and was more or less invented by apple. I have the new Samsung tablet (traded in the Ipad) and it has mouse support. My tablet can now literally be a laptop in a lot of ways. I much prefer a physical mouse over this hokey new feature on the Ipad.