European Commission probes Amazon over e-book publishing contracts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    It's about time someone looked at Amazon.

Such a joke that Cote "proved" the DOJs case. Cause they sure didn't. Tons of evidence in favor of Appke but the judge ignored it. Keeps ignoring it even when Apple shows that her buddy is over stepping big time.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    *slow clap*

This will never happen in the U.S., but at least SOMEONE is willing to slap them.
    Amazon is making negative income every year so of course the US wouldn't investigate them. In order for the US to investigate Amazon, Amazon would have to actually be successful at all and turning a profit. 

They're plenty successful, they're just not showing a profit.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Bromwich should definitely be shipped overseas for this one.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I didn't know anyone had been claiming a more sophisticated method until you mentioned it. Makes sense now. Thanks.

Now, delete your silly original post. Surprise us. Thanks.

• Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

The EU forced Apple into a settlement over the same issue. Even they wouldn't fight them. They meddle much more in business competition issues than the US does and I don't think most of us here want the US taking the same positions.

IMHO Amazon will do the same as Apple did and reach an agreement with the EU to drop the contracts with the offending "anti-competitive" clauses.

Ah, what a tangled web of a post. Typical. The EU 'forced' Apple? As I recall, Apple and four publishers said that they would not do what they were accused of doing, going forward, and the EU said fine. The EU approached this like an adult. No immature, intrusive idiots there like Bromwich and Cote. 'They wouldn't fight them'? Who wouldn't fight whom? Apple wouldn't fight the EU? If so, see the point above.

The EU 'meddles' much more? See Cote and Bromwich point above. (I know they've really been whacking Google of late, so perhaps that is the source of your disdain).

'Most of us here' don't '..want the US taking the same positions?' Evidence? Speaking for myself, I wish the US could learn a thing or two from the EU on how to take on antitrust issues. (EU's approach to taxation is different, in my mind).

We'll see what Amazon does. They may or may not settle, since book-selling is much more a part of Amazon's core business than for Apple. They may decide to fight it, who knows.

• Reply 26 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Ah, what a tangled web of a post. Typical. The EU 'forced' Apple? As I recall, Apple and four publishers said that they would not do what they were accused of doing, going forward, and the EU said fine. The EU approached this like an adult. No immature, intrusive idiots there like Bromwich and Cote. 'They wouldn't fight them'? Who wouldn't fight whom? Apple wouldn't fight the EU? If so, see the point above.

The EU 'meddles' much more? See Cote and Bromwich point above. (I know they've really been whacking Google of late, so perhaps that is the source of your disdain).

'Most of us here' don't '..want the US taking the same positions?' Evidence? Speaking for myself, I wish the US could learn a thing or two from the EU on how to take on antitrust issues. (EU's approach to taxation is different, in my mind).

We'll see what Amazon does. They may or may not settle, since book-selling is much more a part of Amazon's core business than for Apple. They may decide to fight it, who knows.
    Tangled web? I assume you meant to add "deceive" in there somewhere. Filed in Dec of 2011, Apple fought ebooks in Europe for a year before agreeing to settle on terms acceptable to the EU in December of 2012 as did 4 of the 5 publishers. Penguin was the lone holdout for a few more months, finally coming to terms in mid 2013. I assumed you were aware of all that.
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-11-1509_en.htm
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-12-1367_en.htm
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-343_en.htm

Google is hardly the only one involved in EU antitrust-type investigations or accusations either. There's at least two in the works involving Apple (perhaps three), two involving Amazon and two involving Google that I can think of off the top of my head. That doesn't include lawsuits and/or investigations underway from individual EU member states targeting all three. I assume from your tone you're supporting all the investigations and would like to see the same here in the US. Perhaps with a change in the US administration you might get your wish.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:

Tangled web? I assume you meant to add "deceive" in there somewhere. 

Sure, I could have.

But many others (in this thread alone) have already implied it, so why bother...

• Reply 28 of 47
    Sure, I could have.

But many others (in this thread alone) have already implied it, so why bother...
    PM me the details of the deception so as not to derail this thread.

Notice I nearly always include source links for anything folks might not be aware of so they can decide for themselves. You should consider doing the same as evidence of the way I'm trying to mislead you. Folks here are pretty intelligent and I have faith that they can discern things for themselves when presented with the appropriate facts and background.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

PM me the details of the deception so as not to derail this thread.

Notice I nearly always include source links for anything folks might not be aware of so they can decide for themselves. You should consider doing the same as evidence of the way I'm trying to mislead you. Folks here are pretty intelligent and I have faith that they can discern things for themselves when presented with the appropriate facts and background.

Methinks you doth protest too much.  If you truly believe what you put there, you wouldn't keep hammering away, and let the "folks" as you say, make their own informed conclusion. 

• Reply 30 of 47
    Methinks you doth protest too much.  If you truly believe what you put there, you wouldn't keep hammering away, and let the "folks" as you say, make their own informed conclusion. 
    "Methinks"? Excellent. Here's another opportunity to put that to work. You have the information needed in the links I provided to come to your own conclusions on Apple's settlement over the same anti-competitive concerns and a background for forming an opinion of what Amazon is likely to do.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Now, delete your silly original post. Surprise us. Thanks.
    If I delete it your comments about it will make even less sense. The best solution is for the original off-topic comment from Eric to be deleted as well as my response, your responses and Raysz. Then there's no confusion for readers.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

If gatorguy let "folks" make there own decision it wont be a fully informed decision, some people here really do not want to read anything that dissents from the "group think".

In the EU Apple had to change it business model for e-books because the EU mandated it and the possible fine is 10% gross global revenue. Apple agreed to the terms. So far (pending any successful appeal) Apple is guilty in the US and it doesnt matter if anyone believes Apple is innocent here or not. The verdict stands until its reversed

• Reply 33 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Then there's no confusion for readers.

Wow. How considerate you are, of AI readers...

• Reply 34 of 47
    Wow. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">How considerate you are, of AI readers...</span>
    Wrong side of the bed for you this morning I presume?
  • Reply 35 of 47
    russellrussell Posts: 296member

Antitrust laws were created to promote vigorous competition and protect consumers from anticompetitive mergers and business practices.

Anybody that thinks antitrust laws were created to prevent businesses from losing money from their archaic business model or to guarantee themselves a certain profit level are more than ignorant.

Guide to Antitrust Laws

Free and open markets are the foundation of a vibrant economy. Aggressive competition among sellers in an open marketplace gives consumers — both individuals and businesses — the benefits of lower prices, higher quality products and services, more choices, and greater innovation. The FTC's competition mission is to enforce the rules of the competitive marketplace — the antitrust laws. These laws promote vigorous competition and protect consumers from anticompetitive mergers and business practices. The FTC's Bureau of Competition, working in tandem with the Bureau of Economics, enforces the antitrust laws for the benefit of consumers.

• Reply 36 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Wrong side of the bed for you this morning I presume?

Gosh. Not at all. Not only the right side of the bed, but it has been a GREAT day. Despite this interaction. Thanks for asking.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Gosh. Not at all. Not only the right side of the bed, but it has been a GREAT day. Despite this interaction. Thanks for asking.
    Great! Never a bad time for a good day! BTW I love the weather up there this time of year. Here it's getting to close to indoors time for us old guys.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ECats View Post

It's pretty amusing that Amazon can carry on with their business for the longest duration of time and eat up more than 90% of the eBook market, to the vocal condemnation of writers, publishers and reduction of physical book stores.

Amazon earned that market fair and square by creating their own e-reader with the publishers providing the content.

If the publishers didn't like the deal, they could have walked away instead of signing the agreement.

Would it change your mind if you found out Amazon had told them the same thing apple told GTAT, "Put on their big boy pants and accept the agreement"?

Yet the moment a viable competitor is announced(Apple) they are immediately swatted by the DOJ, then levied with a questionable antitrust monitor in a situation that stinks of both cronyism and double standards.

Apple knew they couldn't compete so they had to cheat.

If Apple thought they were a viable competitor, they wouldn't have colluded with the publishers. They would have sold the exact same ebook Amazon sells for 25%-30% more.

Naturally Apple's requests to have the monitor pruned were denied, of course so, as the person who decides upon that is the one who installed him. Meanwhile other justices have come out with statements of criticism because the situation looks absurd from the inside and out.

Of course it was denied, Apple was guilty.

What's absurd is, the fanbois refusal to acknowledge Antitrust laws were created to protect consumers, not businesses. Antitrust laws were created to promote vigorous competition (which apple knew they couldn't) and protect consumers from anticompetitive mergers and business practices (read: apple's collusion & publishers price fixing).

• Reply 39 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    russell wrote: »
    Amazon earned that market fair and square by creating their own e-reader with the publishers providing the content.
    If the publishers didn't like the deal, they could have walked away instead of signing the agreement.

Right. Amazon holds the publisher's physical books as hostage. Sign the ebook agreement or take your books elsewhere.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    russell wrote: »
    Antitrust laws were created to protect consumers, not businesses. Antitrust laws were created to promote vigorous competition (which apple knew they couldn't) and protect consumers from anticompetitive mergers and business practices (read: apple's collusion & publishers price fixing).

Antitrust laws also should prevent predatory pricing. Amazon selling ebooks at a loss is a barrier for entry. That's how they had 90% of the market. You want fair competition? Start with fair pricing.