Inside iOS 9: Apple's Notes app is greatly enhanced with drawings, lists, pictures, links & more

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Apple's native Notes application has received a major overhaul with iOS 9, allowing users to sketch ideas, insert pictures, include links to external apps, and more, making it a fully featured note taking solution.

In iOS 9, Notes users can tap a sketch button at the bottom of the screen on their iPhone or iPad to begin drawing. This brings up a series of digital drawing tools (pen, marker, and pencil), along with a ruler for drawing straight lines.

On the iPad, or when drawing on the iPhone in landscape mode, Notes in iOS 9 also has a range of color options when drawing: black, gray, dark blue, light blue, green, yellow, orange, and red. There's also an eraser tool.

Notes also has a dedicated camera button at the bottom of the screen, where a user can insert an image from their photo library, or capture a new picture.

There's also a new option for creating lists in Notes. To save screen real estate on the iPhone, this capability is accessed by hitting a gray "plus" button that rests atop the QuickType keyboard.

The expanded menu also includes a variety of different font options: title, heading, body, checklist, bulleted list, dashed list, and numbered list. Text can also be displayed bold, italicized, and underlined.

On the iPad, the bullet and font options are located on the keyboard to the left of the QuickType suggestions.

Finally, Notes in iOS 9 also gains the ability to import links from other applications. For example, open a destination in Maps, tap the Share Sheets button, and export the location to Notes where it will show up as an address, icon and link. The same can also be done for URLs in Safari.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Much needed improvements. Really like the sketch integration.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    Much needed improvements. Really like the sketch integration.

It's about time too. Apple's had the tech since the 1990's. This is so much like Notes in NewtonOS.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Could be a replacement for onenote on my iPhone/iPad and macs.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    OK, native Notes app is enhanced in IOS-9 but what about native Calendar APP ? That app is a dog for the last many ios iterations. Apple, do SOME enhancements about Calendar App in IOS9
  • Reply 5 of 62
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Still has yellow on white background..whoever designed the Notes app skipped Color 101 class in art school.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    Still has yellow on white background..whoever designed the Notes app skipped Color 101 class in art school.

Apparently so did you. That's orange, not yellow.
  • Reply 7 of 62

Even though some Apple apps are clumsy at times, they all have that Apple integration and ease of use that Apple is so famous for.

And although there were similar, more powerful apps available, I tend to use Apple's and just wait till Apple improves them. 

The Notes update is much appreciated. I've tried Evernote and few others but they are either too "powerful" and feature rich for me to learn or they are pretty simple and don't sync to other devices.

I stayed with AppleWorks, Pages/Numbers, iLife/iWork, iWeb (now defunct), AppleMail, the Podcast app, Maps, iTools through MobileMe to iCloud,  from infancy to maturation.

All of them seemed easier to use than anything Adobe, Google or MS ever put out. 

Best.

• Reply 8 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by S'harien View Post

Funny! :)

• Reply 9 of 62
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

All of them seemed easier to use than anything Adobe, Google or MS ever put out. 

Free vs. $200 for Adobe's Ink & Slide. 

I'll take free. 

• Reply 10 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Free vs. $200 for Adobe's Ink & Slide. 

I'll take free. 

Nothing's free, Bro. :)

Edit: I missed your point. I understand now. :)

• Reply 11 of 62
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    s'harien wrote: »

Meh..Same thing..bright yellow orange color on white background is still looks terrible.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Draw what you will the ability to create lists really sets Notes apart from the past for me.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Any!ist still rocks for lists, though it's not available for Mac.
    So I'll continue to use that for grocery lists and making temporary lists of short-term options trades I want to remember to close out prior to expiration. But I'm the only person with those two use cases.

But this new Notes app might be suitable to replace EverNote, as long as it's features are also available on the Mac. EverNote is available for, and I use it on, Mac, iPad, and iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Too bad my life is on Evernote. Would have preferred native Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

This is a step in the right direction. I've dragged .jpegs and .pdfs into Notes for quite a while. Synching between iPhone and mac with no Evernote fussiness is a killer feature.

I wonder if Apple could do a full fledged sketchpad app. I use the Grab utility for screenshots along with and Preview to markup pdfs, currently. however, Grab only saves as .tiff and many third party apps do not support that format. So, I need to convert to .pdf...sigh!

I wonder how a Grab/Notes/TextEdit/Preview mashup would work. Using TextEdit, Notes, Preview, and Grab (and Pages) all seem like a little too much fragmentation. Those are several of my most-used apps and would love to not need to switch through five different apps to get all the functionality I need. 

Does anyone know if Notes supports sharesheet sending to the above apps? 

• Reply 16 of 62
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I use the native OS X and iOS notes apps daily. Not much out there that trumps either of them in ease of use and convenience.

Great to see them get some love.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    carthusia wrote: »
    This is a step in the right direction. I've dragged .jpegs and .pdfs into Notes for quite a while. Synching So, I need to convert to .pdf...sigh
    You should be able to print as a PDF file right in Grab to eliminate a second App to convert it.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    This is really sweet. I already use Notes on my iMac (along with messenger) quite a bit. These sync perfectly and in real time with my iPhone. It will be great if I can make complex notes right on my iMac and then be able to pick up my iPhone and leave with them.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Though the biggest enhancement would be the ability to alphabetize the notes or I have to stick with Evernote -- still don't understand how such a simple thing hasn't been implemented on iOS...it still only sorts by most recent...which is worthless
  • Reply 20 of 62
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Though the biggest enhancement would be the ability to alphabetize the notes or I have to stick with Evernote -- still don't understand how such a simple thing hasn't been implemented on iOS...it still only sorts by most recent...which is worthless

I wouldn't say it's worthless, there are definitely times a recent note is good to have quick access to, but I think you're right, alphabetical sorting would also be nice. Someone also mentioned folders, I haven't used Evernote, but I think categories or groups would be nice (which is somewhat like folders), as long as they could be accessed on a single page (inset type rather than having a link into the folder).

Overall, I'm really liking where they're taking this : )