Tweets coming to Apple's Spotlight search, Twitter CEO says

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2015
The already-cosy relationship between Apple and Twitter appears to be growing tighter, as the companies are now engaged in an effort to bring Twitter content to Apple's Spotlight search engine.

Twitter CEO Dick Costolo revealed the expanded tie-up during the social network's quarterly earnings call on Tuesday, though he declined to provide additional details. Costolo's comments were first noted by Macworld.

Both OS X and iOS currently provide system-level Twitter account management, which --?among other things --?lets users grant and revoke account access for apps via System Preferences. Users can also tweet directly from OS X's Notification Center or via the iOS and OS X share sheets.

Twitter has long been the apparent clubhouse favorite at Apple, and was the first social network to be integrated into Apple's mobile and desktop operating systems. Numerous rumors over the years have pegged Twitter as a likely acquisition target for the iPhone maker.

While that acquisition hasn't yet occurred, Apple did pick up Twitter analytics firm Topsy in 2013. That acquisition was notable in that Topsy was one of only a handful of companies with access to Twitter's "firehose" --?a realtime stream of each and every tweet --?which may form the basis of the new Spotlight functionality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    My life is now complete. /s
  • Reply 2 of 17
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

So now if you type something in to Spotlight search it will be sent to Microsoft (currently) and Twitter (rumored). And if you type something in to Maps search it will be send to Yelp, TripAdvisor and Booking.com. "Your privacy is important to us," says Tim Cook, "you are not the product."

• Reply 3 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Twitter needs this more than Apple needs Twitter. Twitter stock took a major hit when they prematurely released their earnings online and it was immediately exploited by traders.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

This news just made my day. 

No way this will become a hackhole of any kind. /s

• Reply 5 of 17
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It's already there for me.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Assuming this is a Yosemite-only feature?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    ascii wrote: »
    So now if you type something in to Spotlight search it will be sent to Microsoft (currently) and Twitter (rumored). And if you type something in to Maps search it will be send to Yelp, TripAdvisor and Booking.com. "Your privacy is important to us," says Tim Cook, "you are not the product."

If I type @reneritchie in spotlight it opens the Twitter app and takes me to his Twitter profile. What is the privacy issue?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Assuming this is a Yosemite-only feature?

Nope. iOS too.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I already disable everything from Spotlight except what's on Mac. But a nice feature for those that need it. I wish the Spotlight window floated free and was resizable.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    I already disable everything from Spotlight except what's on Mac. But a nice feature for those that need it. I wish the Spotlight window floated free and was resizable.

I used little snitch to block everything from spotlight except searching my Mac.

If I want to search the web I use a browser. If I want to search my computer I don't need to have results cluttered up with all the other crud Spotlight belches up at me.

And, no settings to turn all that off, so I have to hack the UI to get what I want.

????
  • Reply 11 of 17
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I also disable everything from Spotlight except what's on the Mac (and I disable some of what's on the Mac as well).   If I want to search the web, I'll use the browser.   I really don't want these things tied together; it's two completely different objectives as far as I'm concerned.   And I'm not so happy with Spotlight as is.   It really should prioritize hits on filenames and bring those files to the top before it displays hits on content within files.      

• Reply 12 of 17
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If I type @reneritchie in spotlight it opens the Twitter app and takes me to his Twitter profile. What is the privacy issue?

Privacy potentially comes in when you're searching for a keyword in your own private local files, and Apple submits those searches to Twitter to see if your tweets or anyone you're following contains that keyword.

• Reply 13 of 17
    Twitter needs this more than Apple needs Twitter. Twitter stock took a major hit when they prematurely released their earnings online and it was immediately exploited by traders.

I saw that story too. Even if Apple didn't want to buy Twitter, Tim could buy Twitter with his pocket changes and a courtesy reach-around.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    xixo wrote: »
    I used little snitch to block everything from spotlight except searching my Mac.

If I want to search the web I use a browser. If I want to search my computer I don't need to have results cluttered up with all the other crud Spotlight belches up at me.

And, no settings to turn all that off, so I have to hack the UI to get what I want.

????

You have the ability to toggle everything off from within Spotlight itself.

• Reply 15 of 17
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    Sounds good. Glad to be able to search tweets from Spotlight.
  • Reply 16 of 17

Nice! :)