Rdio responds to Apple Music with statement satirizing Apple reaction to IBM PC

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    This is not about streaming. No one has to worry about data plans. Apple Music is about almost unlimited [B]downloads[/B] for a fixed monthly fee. The downloads you make from Apple Music
    will sit alongside your own music, virtually indistinguishable. At least that's what the website states.

So the transition is complete: you will never own music again, you will only rent it. But you can rent it on your own device. Streaming is just an option.
  • Reply 82 of 103
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Does anyone know how Match will sit alongside Music? Isn't there a huge overlap? Why would one have both?
  • Reply 83 of 103
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

Does anyone know how Match will sit alongside Music? Isn't there a huge overlap? Why would one have both?

Match will go when Apple's confident Apple Music is successful. Right now too many people's using Match love to listen to only their own music.

• Reply 84 of 103
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Is there a legal requirement or time-honored custom that competitors (or those who fancy themselves such) are required to respond to the initiatives of others? I must have missed the memo.

Can you imagine Ford issuing a statement satirizing General Motors' past press releases?

Decorum: a virtue lost on the generation of the Information Age. Those who emit Tweets like farts at the least impulse.
  • Reply 85 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

Match will go when Apple's confident Apple Music is successful. Right now too many people's using Match love to listen to only their own music.

Don't forget, another benefit of iTunes Match is ad-free iTunes Radio. For $25/year, that in itself is a pretty good deal.

Right now, I'm not super thrilled with the variety and selection the algorithms make based on my song selections, but they are almost as good as Pandora. It's only during extended listening sessions that it becomes real noticeable. The genre channels I occasionally listen to are decent too.

I do wonder if Match will stay for much longer.

• Reply 86 of 103
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    redefiler wrote: »
    Sounds like somebody is all jealous and butthurt. It's kinda funny you're dismissing Jim D's relevance, when you're just following and spreading his take around the internet.

don't be a silly child. as I said plainly in my post, it's nothing personal but merely an observation based on the lack of value in his product.

there's a reason his magazine product failed. he's checked out from the needed level of insight in order to deliver a valuable IP product. so citing him as an authority to back up a claim is fruitless, which was my original point.
  • Reply 87 of 103
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

don't be a silly child. as I said plainly in my post, it's nothing personal but merely an observation based on the lack of value in his product.

there's a reason his magazine product failed. he's checked out from the needed level of insight in order to deliver a valuable IP product. so citing him as an authority to back up a claim is fruitless, which was my original point.

Sorry, did Jim D kill your dog? Why do you have so much personal hate towards a pro-Apple blogger? Don't get it. 

• Reply 88 of 103
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

Your statements are beyond clueless. He left MacWorld mag a long time ago, and has been running The Loop for several years now. Did you even bother to research? Can you even operate a search engine? Do you think you can open your mouth big enough to fit both feet inside? Go try, I'll wait...

I met Jim earlier this year, had a beer with him and a wonderful chat. I was a complete stranger, and was very impressed on how approachable and engaging he was. Very cool, very knowledgable, and a very down to earth guy. I can see why many at Apple are fond of him.

From what I understand The Loop is paying the bills, he is his own boss, and gets to follow two of his passions: Macs and Guitars/Pro Audio. I hope I'm not spilling any beans for him, but he also consultants for some highly respected 3rd party hardware and software. And in his extra time, he is pretty much the only credible authority outside of Apple, when it comes to confirming or busting Apple rumors.

All considered, it seems like you've got some irrational personal beef or you're less than ignorant about the guy. Jim's been a pro at whatever he does in the Mac community, in comparison you're a skid mark in a comment section somewhere.
  • Reply 89 of 103
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Reading some of these comments, I thought I had accidentally gone over to macrumors. They love negativity and self importance.
  • Reply 90 of 103
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jmgregory1 wrote: »

I completely agree with your sentiments.  My thought when they spent so much time on Apple Music was, this is a developers meeting presentation.  How are developers going to monetize Apple Music?  I know the answer...They're not, so this was really just a product launch presentation and a poor one at that. Iovine may be a smart guy with chops in the music industry, but he didn't present himself or Apple or Apple Music well.  My opinion was that this was the worst WWDC keynote in years, mostly because they cut some things short and the "one more thing" spoiled what I used to love about one more thing, that it was something exciting and unexpected. 

Easy now.

The iPad was considered one of the worse presentations during its keynote.

Apple Music isn't here yet. Maybe "one more thing" was rightly justified.

How can this help developers?

Well hopefully devs are allowed to use the service for their apps. Like DJay.

Also it looked like Apple included artists as "developers".

I agree it wasn't the best presentation and raised plenty of questions.

But this happened before with iPad.
  • Reply 91 of 103
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Easy now.

The iPad was considered one of the worse presentations during its keynote.

Apple Music isn't here yet. Maybe "one more thing" was rightly justified.

How can this help developers?

Well hopefully devs are allowed to use the service for their apps. Like DJay.

Also it looked like Apple included artists as "developers".

I agree it wasn't the best presentation and raised plenty of questions.

But this happened before with iPad.

I was really referring to the time spent on Music.  It's the point in the presentation that I effectively stopped paying attention, because it just didn't have any value for development, in the way new hardware would have.  Say for example, an Apple TV update would give developers yet another medium to work with and make money from.  It didn't help that Iovine is not a good presenter or speaker.  Honestly, he seemed like a throwback to the old music business and I'm guessing that he is exactly that.

Sure, musicians are developers [of music], and opening a platform for musicians to get music into mainstream could be a great thing, but again, I'm just not seeing how an audience of developers is going to use this?  I certainly hope that future WWDC events don't become some music show.

• Reply 92 of 103
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Don't forget, another benefit of iTunes Match is ad-free iTunes Radio. For $25/year, that in itself is a pretty good deal.

You also get ad-free iTunes Radio when you subscribe to Apple Music.
  • Reply 93 of 103
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    I agree. The free membership with ad has a big potential to destroy music industry.

Well that's just too damn bad. The record labels need to stop being mired in the past. I think it's pretty clear that the free with ads model is the one most people prefer. I'd rather not see Apple get in bed with the record companies and their dated models.
  • Reply 94 of 103
    danny602 wrote: »
    It's so amusing watching competitors downplay and bash apple, just before apple cleans their clocks.

Pathetic...

You mean like iTunes radio cleaned Pandora's clock? What's pathetic is people just assuming that Apple Music is going to come in and wipe everybody else away.
  • Reply 95 of 103
    danny602danny602 Posts: 24member
    rogifan wrote: »
    You mean like iTunes radio cleaned Pandora's clock? What's the Fattic is people just assuming that Apple Music is going to come in and wipe everybody else away.

Fattic? Your spell check is Fattic my friend...
  • Reply 96 of 103
    danny602 wrote: »
    Fattic? Your spell check is Fattic my friend...

Don't blame me blame Apple's voice dictation. :)
  • Reply 97 of 103
    ttollerton wrote: »
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Apple could've done the exact same thing to Rdio back when Apple revolutionized the music industry with iTunes. Oh wait a minute...Rdio wasn't even a twinkle in any of those executive's eyes at the time. Rdio is here because Apple made digital music a broad reality.

Ummm, I think it was Napster that made digital music a broad reality. Somewhat in an unethical way, but I still believe they were the ones that made it a "broad reality".
  • Reply 98 of 103
    I agree. The free membership with ad has a big potential to destroy music industry.

I think you're going a little overboard here. We've had that buissnes model for music working successfully for the past 70 or so years. It actually helps to sell music. Think of it more like music advertising with other ads mixed in.
  • Reply 99 of 103

For ~$120/year, I would hope so!
  • Reply 100 of 103
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

So will they be launching iTunes Radio outside the US at the same time as Apple Music?