Apple Pay already works internationally, but only with US credit cards

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    quaipau wrote: »

Yes, I'm sort of skeptic about the german deploy, since the EC cards are so popular. Still: now that there are so many online banks, all offering you 50-100€ to get a free (!!) bank account, this is going to be a huge selling point.

What makes it even larger: people buying iPhone 6s have money. They are exactly the kind of costumers banks love.

Whichever bank doesn't offer ApplePay, is gonna have a bad time.

I, for myself, would switch from my bank in a second. Although I'm very satisfied with it!

In Germany not so easy to switch banks (for many reasons)... although some people do prefer to have multiple bank accounts. This could very well get people to consider opening up an account at a different bank if the fees are not too high.... an of course if they offer Apple Pay... :)
  • Reply 22 of 27
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

You missed the important part of ApplePay where the issuing bank has to authorize the card first. Which points back to my initial sceptisism: ApplePay may certainly work at many retailers... when German banks allow them to.

Yeah agree it depend on the bank who issued the card, but if you have a card issue by a banks they support it then it does not matter where you do the actual transaction like in Germany, the German banks my not have any say so.

My point was that just because EU and Gemany support chip-&-pin does not mean you could not still use it with Apple pay it is just another level of security, Noting I have read so far indicates they ApplePay and chip-&-Pin are not compatible with each other.

• Reply 23 of 27
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

You might think that because Europe has the terminals already, it might roll out faster there. But on the other hand, since the US still has magnetic stripe cards, that are more subject to fraud, the US banks might be more eager. So which is the determining factor in rollout speed, technology or banker willingness?

• Reply 24 of 27
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Yeah agree it depend on the bank who issued the card, but if you have a card issue by a banks they support it then it does not matter where you do the actual transaction like in Germany, the German banks my not have any say so.

My point was that just because EU and Gemany support chip-&-pin does not mean you could not still use it with Apple pay it is just another level of security, Noting I have read so far indicates they ApplePay and chip-&-Pin are not compatible with each other.

^^^^ IF... we have no banks that support Apple Pay YET... which is the crux of the matter. Although yesterday I did some checking on my banks website, and yes... they do have NFC terminals out there and able to use with their own NFC implementation... again.... I have yet to see any of these terminals in use or at any retailer... YET!

Of course Apple Pay will work when the banks allow it, why wouldn't it?
  • Reply 25 of 27
    I just came back from London and can confirm that [B]Apple Pay does NOT WORK ON THE UNDERGROUND![/B]

The reason? Apple Pay is [B]TOO SECURE![/B]

Anybody who has used the tube knows that they use your credit card # to track where you get on and get off the tube. This is how they know how much to bill you. Thanks to tokenization, they can't compute your fare!

An enterprising reporter should follow-up with TFL to see if these privacy protection are a deal breaker.

Everywhere else that supports contact less works fine, from vending machines to coffee shops.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    I just set up apple pay on my new iPhone 6 Plus and it is working just great in Switzerland. Merchants are looking at me very suspiciously :)
  • Reply 27 of 27
    its something natural, its on the test so they should start with US credit cards only