Bug in iOS Unicode handling crashes iPhones with a simple text

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

So what genius decided to print the actual text in an article? Seems pretty irresponsible.

At least they didn't post a text string that can be copied :P

• Reply 22 of 36
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    At least they didn't post a text string that can be copied :P

Didn’t work on my girlfriends iPhone. Boo
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Didn’t work on my girlfriends iPhone. Boo

Bummer. We'll have to give this a try when I get home. Sounds like it crashes Apple Watch too.

• Reply 24 of 36
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    tried it on 3 iPhones and it did sod all
  • Reply 25 of 36
    stu279stu279 Posts: 9member
    If its not working for you try this one:

?? ? ? ?
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Lol, someone once told me iOS has no viruses, bugs, or security issues, funny
  • Reply 27 of 36
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Fonts have long been the culprits in system and app crashes in all computer systems. I've seen bad fonts crash a Mac or Final Cut or Avid or Photoshop. Can't even remember how many times I went looking for and found bad fonts. I used to have an app for that, but don't remember it's name. A font is a messy thing with all sorts little details about each character. If one tiny detail is off, or wrong - poof! Yer down.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    LOL. My 16 year old just called. The Teenagers in school are busy blowing each other iPhones up today!

Apparently...this is super popular and fun pastime.

I must admit... if I was 16... I would be thanking Apple for such a cool feature. LOL

- RC
  • Reply 29 of 36
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Why exactly is this even possible?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    What one of my friends thinks the problem is, is that each character in the English alphabet takes one byte to save. Where as some Arabic characters take two bytes. When the message is too large in the notification, apple sends the text down a line and adds an ellipse. But Your iPhone, when set to English, thinks that each character is only a byte long, so it doesn't realize that the Arabic character is more than one byte and tries to add the ellipse between the two bytes needed to display the single Arabic character, thus causing your phone to try to display a byte that doesn't represent any character and leading to a crash.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Why exactly is this even possible?

There are a number of ways for a software bug to crash the operating system. Most of them have to do with the app overwriting memory that doesn't belong to the app, either overwriting system code or data needed for system code. A long time ago, it was very easy to crash Windows just with a simple stack overflow (a function creates a big array on the stack, then calls itself recursively). Operating systems protect their memory much more effectively these days, but there are still holes...

• Reply 32 of 36
    casnovacasnova Posts: 3member

Thanks a lot for share. :) :)

??????????????? ??????????????? ?????????????????????? 10% ????????? 5% ????? royal1688

• Reply 33 of 36
    m33haxm33hax Posts: 1member
    if you just send

Power
    %u0644%u064F%u0644%u064F%u0635%u0651%u0628%u064F%u0644%u064F%u0644%u0635%u0651%u0628%u064F%u0631%u0631%u064B
    %u0963 %u0963h %u0963 %u0963
    %u5197

it will cause messages to crash and no longer open much much worse imo - MEe Hack
  • Reply 34 of 36
    rogifan wrote: »
    And just to show how dumb today's society is, there are people intentionally trying to crash their phone with this. WTF? Unless you work at Apple and are responsible for fixing software bugs why on earth would you try to replicate this?
    What's the harm? It doesn't hurt anything as long as they've read the article. It's nothing like a layman deliberately installing malware where long-lasting harm may be done to the system; where the harm may require a more experienced hand to be resolved.
    Marvin wrote: »
    They wouldn't have to test every character that's supported, just every character that is in active use and they can flag characters outside their tested set for added checking. The combinations would still reach trillions of trillions but supercomputers can crunch through quadrillions of computations per second now so they could test a significant range. The easiest way would probably be to have a buffered rendering step so they'd take the string, run a new process and render it there first. If that process renders ok, either use the result or run it again in the main app. If that separate process crashes or fails in some way, just put up a message saying that the string failed to render.
    Testing every character that's supported wouldn't be hard. It's in the combinations of characters that the circumstance becomes effectively impossible to test. Rather, the approach would be to write code which should be able to handle a bizarre range of combinations by looking at what is required to handle and render them together generally (an approach based on general understanding of what is involved rather than an exhaustive test of character combinations), and efforts to limit consequences should something go wrong. Similarly, this is likely one of many possible character combinations which could trigger the same bug.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    decoder22 wrote: »
    What one of my friends thinks the problem is, is that each character in the English alphabet takes one byte to save. Where as some Arabic characters take two bytes. When the message is too large in the notification, apple sends the text down a line and adds an ellipse. But Your iPhone, when set to English, thinks that each character is only a byte long, so it doesn't realize that the Arabic character is more than one byte and tries to add the ellipse between the two bytes needed to display the single Arabic character, thus causing your phone to try to display a byte that doesn't represent any character and leading to a crash.
    It should be much more complicated than this. Apple devices have been rendering all manner of special glyphs (whether foreign or otherwise) for quite some time now—and messages which contain a combination of basic Latin characters and multi-byte Unicode characters. It is also not very difficult to recognize the boundaries between these characters and break (e.g. add an ellipsis) at those points. Now, if they're trying to do something fancy which scans for appropriate points in the area or around 'words' we might run into something more probable.
  • Reply 36 of 36

many developpers made that IOS and a bit of Arabic characters can crash it, wow