Apple is making the Watch better by making it even more realtime

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited June 2015
Apple is set to introduce two new features in the second generation of watchOS --?internet connectivity independent of the iPhone and push-capable complications --?that promise to make the company's first wearable an even better companion.

The Apple Watch is a study in contrasts. On one hand, Watch wearers can almost forget that they own an iPhone, especially when roaming around their house and taking calls or sending messages from their wrist.

On the other hand, you can't do that without an iPhone.

Apple is beginning to cut the umbilical with watchOS 2. This fall, the Watch will gain an expanded ability to connect to known Wi-Fi networks independently; that means you'll be able to go for a run without your phone, but still check the weather when you're near a hotspot.

That's not just a boon for Apple's apps, either. Third-party developers -- who will finally be able to write apps to run natively on the watch -- can also take advantage of that connectivity to refresh their own app data, uploading running stats in real time or alerting you to a fast-approaching storm.

Third-party complications represent another opportunity for the Watch to ingrain itself even further into wearers' lives. Complications are designed to provide the fastest possible interaction with the Watch; in some cases, this means sub-one-second glances.

In most cases, developers will pull data for their complications, refreshing an API endpoint every 5 or 15 minutes to get the latest updates. Apple wants this data in the form of a timeline, so the Watch can do the work of making sure that the data in each complication is up-to-date even before the display turns on.

There's another option, however: realtime push notifications. While this does require a connected iPhone --?at least for now?-- the ability to receive push notifications in a complication opens up an array of new possibilities.

Apple's canonical example for push complications is sports scores, but we can imagine a variety of situations where this could be valuable. A complication that displays realtime environmental data, like air quality, for those who live in large cities; one that makes clever use of geofences to let you ensure your child is at school; even a mundane intra-office complication that lets you know whether the conference room is free has the potential to save time and energy.

Together, these updates have the potential to transform the Watch from a convenience to a lifeline. What started life as a fun gadget is quickly becoming an indispensable tool.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    The watch can connect to known wifi networks on its own NOW. When near one you can send iMessages and receive mail.... all without an iPhone.

What you can't do is launch third party apps (of course) or make a phone call. Both of those will change with watchOS2...
  • Reply 2 of 63
    bobjohnsonbobjohnson Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by friedmud View Post

The watch can connect to known wifi networks on its own NOW. When near one you can send iMessages and receive mail.... all without an iPhone.

What you can't do is launch third party apps (of course) or make a phone call. Both of those will change with watchOS2...

You also can't use any Apple app that's an extension, like weather or stocks. 

• Reply 3 of 63
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    But didn't you know the NY Slimes Fashion Critic broke up with her Apple Watch so clearly that means it's a failure. /s
  • Reply 4 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    rogifan wrote: »
    But didn't you know the NY Slimes Fashion Critic broke up with her Apple Watch so clearly that means it's a failure. /s
    Yeah, a mixed reaction from fashionistas but that shouldn't be a surprise. Fashion is fickle.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    ronstarkronstark Posts: 81member
    True to form: the first release of ANY new Apple product is in beta test....that is, it's being field tested by first adopters at their expense. In just a few " tech minutes" we all will learn the watch needs a larger battery in order to get more power to the transceiver, or more memory in order to store the larger apps or information to be exchanged in the communications chain...as now most is stored in the iPhone and not the watch itself. So, I predict the watch band itself will become important for either issue as the watch size will be kept the same...for a while.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yeah, a mixed reaction from fashionistas but that shouldn't be a surprise. Fashion is fickle.

Hmmm.... have you come across lots of examples of 'mixed reactions from fashionistas'? I thought -- anecdotally, of course, and from reading Apple fan sites -- that a vast majority of the reactions were actually positive? Before you post some random links (per usual), did someone do a survey of fashionistas?

• Reply 7 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ronstark View Post

True to form: the first release of ANY new Apple product is in beta test....that is, it's being field tested by first adopters at their expense. 

I've owned one for nearly two months now, and I can tell you from personal experience that your post is plain bullshit.

• Reply 8 of 63
    This Apple Watch is the best rev. 1 product I've ever seen.
    Not really a beta test at all.

It's functionality and attention to detail leaves all of the other smart watches in the dust!

I know because I have one, and it far exceeds any expectations I had.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

Face it, the Watch OS 1 third-party app extension model just plain sucks. I just tried to start TripAdvisor... gave up after 20 seconds spinning. United... 5 seconds, Starbucks... 6 seconds. The painfully long third-party launch times defeats the whole purpose of the Watch.

That being said, the first-party apps operate exactly like you want them to with launch times less than a second.

They should never have launched third-party apps in the state it's in. Now, after what 4 months on the market, developers will have to rewrite their apps to run directly on the watch. Guess how many people will do that?

• Reply 10 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Hmmm.... have you come across lots of examples of 'mixed reactions from fashionistas'? I thought -- anecdotally, of course, and from reading Apple fan sites -- that a vast majority of the reactions were actually positive? Before you post some random links (per usual), did someone do a survey of fashionistas?
    Oh geez....
    If you were really that curious you'd type "Fashion world reaction to Apple Watch" in your favorite search engine.Like I said disagreement is not unexpected considering fashion changes with the wind direction.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    konqerror wrote: »
    Face it, the Watch OS 1 third-party app extension model just plain sucks. I just tried to start TripAdvisor... gave up after 20 seconds spinning. United... 5 seconds, Starbucks... 6 seconds. The painfully long third-party launch times defeats the whole purpose of the Watch.

That being said, the first-party apps operate exactly like you want them to with launch times less than a second.

They should never have launched third-party apps in the state it's in. Now, after what 4 months on the market, developers will have to rewrite their apps to run directly on the watch. Guess how many people will do that?

They all will because they want consumers to have the best experience with their apps. Can't imagine it's going to be bad difficult to rewrite their apps to go native, plus no developer was forced to have an app available on day one and they all knew that I made of SDK was coming at some point.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member

All of them.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    I've owned one for nearly two months now, and I can tell you from personal experience that your post is plain bullshit.
    Would you say that it has become really important to you?

Say, if you were to lose your Apple Watch, would you immediately go and get a new one (like you would an iPhone), get one in a few days, when you get around to it, or never? If you answer that you'd get a new one right away, may I ask what functionality you make the most use of?
  • Reply 14 of 63
    ronstark wrote: »
    True to form: the first release of ANY new Apple product is in beta test....that is, it's being field tested by first adopters at their expense. In just a few " tech minutes" we all will learn the watch needs a larger battery in order to get more power to the transceiver, or more memory in order to store the larger apps or information to be exchanged in the communications chain...as now most is stored in the iPhone and not the watch itself. So, I predict the watch band itself will become important for either issue as the watch size will be kept the same...for a while.

I disagree. But unlike you, I have the Apple Watch.
    My Watch battery goes all day, easily, including workouts with Bluetooth audio and the pulse sensor going. After 18 hours, it still never got below 24%. I don't feel like a beta tester, but an early adopter. The Watch will evolve, but as a 1.0 product, it delivers on what it promises, and that includes power management.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    They are taking steps to realize a broader vision that only becomes possible with more power management and better batteries. There are already technologies on the horizon emerging on both these fronts.

1. Chips are getting smaller and more energy efficient still
    2. Battery tech in the labs by MIT and other using nanoscale methods has not reached market yet
    3. Screens are also likely to become more efficient

I am going to guess 5 years or less for a watch that can stay on...
  • Reply 16 of 63
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spheric View Post

All of them.

How many apps bothered to update to iPhone 6 resolution? Let's name a few who haven't: Paypal, eBay (until last week), Fidelity, AMEX, Woot, Google Voice, Hilton, SPG, UPS, FedEx, Walgreens, Starbucks, Home Depot, MyChart... and I got bored looking. How many of these have gotten special Apple keynote promotions? At least 6 of the 14.

You have to understand that a lot of these companies outsource their apps to a third party developer. The developer says it will take $5,000 to the  app. The CTO at the hotel chain denies it because it works fine and they can't tell the difference on their kid's iPod touch.

• Reply 17 of 63
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member

What did you do? Try a friends watch for a few minutes or do you actually own one? I think it's unlikely that you own one.

I too have seen the watch animation spin for 5, 10, 20 seconds trying to start a third party app. But far more often, I see the app start up in around 2 seconds. I finally realized that it's when I'm in an area with iffy coverage (1 bar) that it takes so long - but when I'm at home on wi-fi or in an area with good LTE coverage, the watch works like a champ!

Also - please define "the whole purpose of the watch!" and point me to the Apple documentation that contains the definition... I say this because you claim that a 5 or 6 second launch time for 3rd party apps "defeats the whole purpose of the watch". It seems like a trollish comment if I've ever heard one! I for one would still be happy to own/wear the Apple Watch even if 3rd party apps took 10 seconds to start-up! There is more than enough functionality in the form of 1st party apps, complications and glances to give the watch "a purpose" even without 3rd party apps at all!
    Like I said, most of my apps, most of the time, start up in about 2 seconds. The odd time that it takes 5 or 10 seconds is certainly not a huge issue for me. I find it hard to believe that the Apple Watch is a version 1.0 product! It has exceeded my expectations in every way possible! I'm super-excited that they are already adding more features and capabilities to it and I can't wait to see how it evolves over the next several years!

Finally - as others have said - ALL of them is the correct answer. Any company or developer that thought it was important that their app runs on the watch at launch time will most certainly be willing to make some tweaks to it so that it can run natively and deliver even more value to its users!

Troll somewhere else! You've got it all wrong about the watch! Those of us that actually own one seem to be extremely happy with it. Have you stopped to ask yourself why? Are we all brainwashed? Or is it possible that maybe some of your impressions are misguided and others are just plain wrong?
  • Reply 18 of 63
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree original poster is spouting complete and utter B.S. Mr Stark-raving-mad is  obviously working for Google and is  guilty of projecting because almost everything that Google produces  is  beta, they even fracking admit it. so he should go away and go play with his  google beta products! like a good little google boy!

• Reply 19 of 63
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I disagree. But unlike you, I have the Apple Watch.

My Watch battery goes all day, easily, including workouts with Bluetooth audio and the pulse sensor going. After 18 hours, it still never got below 24%. I don't feel like a beta tester, but an early adopter. The Watch will evolve, but as a 1.0 product, it delivers on what it promises, and that includes power management.

As an Apple watch owner I total agree with you and Mr Stark-raving-mad can go visit a taxidermist.

• Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Oh geez....

If you were really that curious you'd type "Fashion world reaction to Apple Watch" in your favorite search engine.Like I said disagreement is not unexpected considering fashion changes with the wind direction.

I did as you asked.

I found no survey evidence. I must have missed it.