Apple opens Upper East Side NYC store with unique design elements, including VIP bank vault

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    danielsw wrote: »
    Looks like there was a decent turnout.

I think the neighborhood will soon appreciate having its own Apple Store.

Yea because the Fifth Avenue store is really far away.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Speaking of bank vaults, I dated a girl in university who lived in an old bank and put her bedroom in the vault.

Did you "teller" that you always wanted to do it in a bank vault? ;)
  • Reply 23 of 32
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
  • Reply 24 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    dimmok wrote: »

That's actually quite commonplace in NYC. There are all types of stores in buildings that were once banks. By me there's a Rite-Aid in an old bank.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

I don't think either of you can really know if it's included or not for sure, or what valuation it holds. But I should think woodycurmudgen is closer to the truth than steffen jobbs on the basis that if it exists the market has priced it in.

The market's problem is over-reaction to good or bad news. Sadly this includes analyst statements... and we all know how ridiculous these can be.

Although many brokerage analysts don't understand Apple's products, particularly the Mac line; lets face it their main objective is to get the market prices bouncing up and down.   Then there will be more trading and commissions in their pockets.

My solution for years, which has made me a good income, is to either ignore the analysts or be a contrarian investor.

• Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

This last part is what really gets to them. There are a LOT of $2 million plus houses along this rail corridor. And these people are actually expecting the City of Vancouver to purchase the land from CP Rail and turn it into a bike corridor/park for them to use. If you suggest that they all get together and make an offer to buy the land (and possibly add it to their own backyards) they get all up in arms.

/rant

You've got to be kidding !

No lot  (alone)  along there is worth less than $4+ million. 

IMO opinion CP Rail should give that property back to the Gov, who gave it to them for a rail line they now no longer use.

• Reply 27 of 32

I hope the lock on that bank vault is disabled !!!   ;)

• Reply 28 of 32
    syrransyrran Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

This last part is what really gets to them. There are a LOT of $2 million plus houses along this rail corridor. And these people are actually expecting the City of Vancouver to purchase the land from CP Rail and turn it into a bike corridor/park for them to use. If you suggest that they all get together and make an offer to buy the land (and possibly add it to their own backyards) they get all up in arms.

/rant

JoshA raises a good question. Did the government give CP the land for free in the first place for the rail line?  

• Reply 29 of 32
    josha wrote: »
    You've got to be kidding !
    No lot  (alone)  along there is worth less than $4+ million. 

IMO opinion CP Rail should give that property back to the Gov, who gave it to them for a rail line they now no longer use.
    I was ball parking the land values. I looked at the corridor map, and the lots are worth much more than I said (more like your $4 million figure). All the more reason that CP Rail should refuse to sell to the City of Vancouver for the measly $20 million they offered to pay for it. I find it hilarious that the people along this very expensive corridor expect that ALL the taxpayers should foot the bill for piece of land that will benefit a small number of people.

CP Rail owns the land. They don't have to give it back to anyone. Lots of people/companies got land for free over a century ago when Canada was trying to stimulate development in the West. Some people thought it was a good idea, others were opposed. It's all irrelevant anyway - CP Rail has a legal title to the land.
    syrran wrote: »
    JoshA raises a good question. Did the government give CP the land for free in the first place for the rail line?

See above.
  • Reply 30 of 32

There was one outspoken resident opposed to the new store, who even filed a failed lawsuit. But otherwise the store, which simply fills the space once occupied by a bank, is a welcome addition to the neighborhood.

• Reply 31 of 32
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

I can at least see the reasoning for people opposing having controversial things in their neighborhood (homeless shelters, halfway houses, drug rehab facilities), but an Apple Store?

Damn yuppies ruining the nabe.... ...walking around messaging, leaning against buildings and surfing, standing in line once a year.....

• Reply 32 of 32
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    One thing that's always puzzled me is as far as Wall Street is concerned, Apple's retail stores count for zero in value.  I would think that's a pretty unique value that Apple has in terms of property value and customer loyalty.  Oh, well.  I suppose only certain things matter to investors and Apple's hundreds of global retail stores aren't one of them.  Originally it was thought Apple's retail venture would be a huge failure and yet it has come quite far to be considered an anchor for Apple.  It would be almost impossible for any other tech company to duplicate in scale but is seemingly overlooked as being of any value.  I think they're a lot of fun to visit and play around with the devices that always work.  Apple has done such a fine job with its retail stores but they're hardly ever mentioned as being a key to Apple's success.

Apple stores are extremely profitable and provide a very polished face to the customer. The Genius Bar provides a unique troubleshooting area for customers to get answers to their issues and set up repair or exchanges.

Apple doesn't break out the revenue generated from their stores so they aren't a topic for analysts. It may look like a bunch of people going in to have fun with the latest and greatest Apple products and accessories but there are significant sales being made continuously. There's no cash registers just employees in blue shirts with iPad minis completing sales all around the store. I am on my 4th model of the iPhone and most were bought through the carriers stores. I just got an iPhone 6 plus at my local Apple Store. I will never buy from the carrier again.

If the stores didn't have value Apple would have stopped expanding a long time ago.