iOS 9 code points to Apple TV apps, 'iPad Pro' keyboard, new Photos feature

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
The current iOS 9 beta contains references to a collection of unreleased products and features, including the next-generation Apple TV, the "iPad Pro," and new options in Photos, according to a noted iOS developer.

The Apple TV is mentioned in both UIKit and GameKit, interface and multiplayer gaming frameworks normally oriented towards iPhones and iPads, developer Steve Troughton-Smith observed on Monday. Although it was absent from WWDC 2015, the next Apple TV set-top is expected to have access to an App Store, possibly including games. Apple could release the updated set-top this fall, though that may depend on whether a rumored subscription TV service is in tow.

iOS 9 meanwhile appears to contain an even larger iPad keyboard, supporting not just a shortcut bar but things like Tab and Caps Lock keys, and a complete extra row devoted to characters like exclamation marks and parentheses. Troughton-Smith remarked that the keyboard is linked to "a much larger heretofore unseen iPad screen size," presumably the company's rumored 12.9-inch model, which should also ship later this year and come with things like support for an Apple-made stylus.

The iOS 9 Photos app was said to have support for ordering photobooks and calendars. Though a relatively minor feature, it should bring the iOS app closer to parity with its OS X counterpart.

iOS 9 itself is set to launch this fall, presumably in tandem with a next-generation iPhone. Apple typically announces new iPhones in September and new iPads a month later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    I wish Apple would add an annotation feature for photos. It's especially helpful when you take photos around the home or work to remember or compare locations, settings, options, conditions etc when looking back at images...same with personal photos, vacations, events, etc. To be able to add some sile background information at the photos really would be a simple but helpful feature.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Why on earth did Apple not announce AppleTV SDK at WWDC? That was the time to do it. Even if the new hardware/software wasn't launching until the fall....the summer months are the BETA months. This is when developers get active and start spending time on what's new.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I wish Apple would add an annotation feature for photos. It's especially helpful when you take photos around the home or work to remember or compare locations, settings, options, conditions etc when looking back at images...same with personal photos, vacations, events, etc. To be able to add some sile background information at the photos really would be a simple but helpful feature.

Considering Apple has allowed App Extensions since iOS 8, something like this may already exist and work directly within the Photos app.

• Reply 4 of 15
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Why on earth did Apple not announce AppleTV SDK at WWDC? That was the time to do it. Even if the new hardware/software wasn't launching until the fall....the summer months are the BETA months. This is when developers get active and start spending time on what's new.

I'm betting they will bring in "key developers" (read: big app store money makers) to make some games/apps happen on AppleTV over the summer (if they have not already) to give them a head start.  

Much like Apple gives away Products to those who can easily afford to pay for them (e.g. Watches, and "The Ransom"), they want developers that make Apple money to stay loyal to the brand.  Early/exclusive access was the theme with the Watch, maybe they want it to happen on AppleTV too.

If they really didn't release the AppleTV because of a lack streaming video subscriptions, that is lame.  WWDC is the perfect place to announce a key shift on a platform like app/games on AppleTV.

• Reply 5 of 15
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

The iOS 9 Photos app was said to have support for ordering photobooks and calendars. Though a relatively minor feature, it should bring the iOS app closer to parity with its OS X counterpart.

This is better than removing features from OS X applications to bring parity with iOS.

• Reply 6 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pmz wrote: »
    Why on earth did Apple not announce AppleTV SDK at WWDC?
    Bad voodoo, the Osborne effect and all of that! Basically it is bad business practice to announce something that can't ship relatively soon. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but it the product would impact current sales premature announcements can kill current sales.
    That was the time to do it. Even if the new hardware/software wasn't launching until the fall....the summer months are the BETA months. This is when developers get active and start spending time on what's new.

I wouldn't be surprised if some developers already are involved in a prerelease program, it would have to be kept secret though. As for beta months, all months are beta, you assume that developers can run in lock step to Apples release cycles! Some can of course but others would have great difficulty with that.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Likely Apple wants devs focused on iOS 9 on their iPhone and iPad apps prior to it shipping. And also on watch OS 2. It's critical that as much time be focused in those areas as possible. There'll be time to ramp up AppleTV apps into the fourth quarter. The prospects of new apps for that platform will sell plenty of the new AppleTV into the holiday season. All a matter of tightly adhering to priorities.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member

I'm betting App Store does NOT come to AT2 or AT3 models.. they are running very, very old APU's and wouldn't game well and have even less ram than an iPhone 4s!

I'm betting new App Store is only for Next Generation Apple TV which is why they are so focused on making sure they release it, App Store, and TV services at same time.. TV services might still come to 3rd generation so they will feel like they got something.. I just don't see the App Store and current 64bit focused apps working well, if at all, on the old Apple TV's...

• Reply 9 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just wait til Samsung brings out their iPad Pro sized phone in anticipation of the upcoming Apple product announcement.
  • Reply 10 of 15

Seems legit

• Reply 11 of 15
    Could the larger keyboard not be for the ATV? Large on-screen keyboards would make sense with the rumors of an upgraded remote with the next ATV with a touch pad.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Exciting close future at hand. Finally stuff to look forward to :)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Because that would mean announcing new hardware too an Apple wasn't ready for that.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    ireland wrote: »

Because that would mean announcing new hardware too an Apple wasn't ready for that.

They could perhaps have added an Apple TV simulator to XCode but if they're aiming for a unique control interface, it's better to have the hardware first. I don't think it will be too difficult to develop for the Apple TV. Most of the additions using an SDK will be streaming video apps like HBO Now.

The TV isn't a great place for complex software. If there will be games, they would use the same MFi controller setup as iOS devices so that's already done and compatible games would run largely without modification.

It seems to me like Apple's intention for the Apple TV is to be a content conduit and an SDK and store will allow companies to submit their own channels. They can possibly include party games like karaoke, board games, quiz games etc. If the controller was setup a certain way, it could do Pictionary:

[VIDEO]

You'd just stand in front of the TV and the accelerometer/gyro can tell the movement and you'd just press the touch pad to engage the pen and there would be an onscreen marker. This is on the Wii U:

[VIDEO]

That kind of thing would really need hardware first to check the movements were ok and knowing there would be a special controller would detract from the hardware announcement.

With new hardware, it will behave just like the current Apple TV and developers/publishers will rush to put content on the platform. I can see Apple offering aggregate subscriptions to simplify the payments for people so you won't have say $5 per month going out at different times of the month for multiple services. No matter the app or service, you'd get them all bundled together and Apple would split the amounts out on their end. This helps them avoid credit card fees too.
  • Reply 15 of 15

I've never been caught up in the Apple TV hype since it doesn't play well with my media collection. But if the rumours are true, and I can install Plex, it's an instabuy. Even better if integrated with Siri. Even better still if I can start installing smart home tools.