Beats axed plans for Sonos-esque Wi-Fi speaker system after Apple acquisition

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    philboogie wrote: »

He Relic, have you seen this, a cool HW thingy for Midi audio:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/14/logic-pros-how-to-map-midi-controller/

Yes I have the normal one, or the none mini model. Novation makes some great products. I actually would recommend getting the Novation LaunchKey Mini first. Than add a Launchpad Mini when you've mastered the pads on the LaunchKey Mini, you will always want a keyboard first. The LaunchKey gives you this plus pads to program.

http://global.novationmusic.com/keys/launchkey-mini
  • Reply 22 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    ^ post

Good to hear that! Somehow I figured you already had something like this, but it's always nice to read your feedback.

Stay well Relic! Stay in good health!
  • Reply 23 of 29
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    relic wrote: »
    Why would you replace your perfectly working Sonos setup for something from Apple, especially when it's made from Beats, In my opinion their products are highly over rated and very pricey for what your getting. We also use Sonos, we have their theater setup in our bedroom, comes with a SoundBar, Sub and two Play:1's for the rear channels. It's sounds incredible, I couldn't imagine Beats creating a better system. Is it just because Apple's name is behind the product, if so, that's kind of silly to just buy something because it has an Apple logo on it. I would buy from a company that has been doing multi-room speaker setups for years, have you heard of the company called Pure, their also really good and worth a look see.

This is what's in our theater setup from Sonos.
    home-theater-hero-play1-blk-boost-lg.jpg

I guess my main reason for replacing sonos would be its weak iTunes integration. I suffer from the 65,000 track problem. It takes forever to update the sonos to reflect the current state of my library. Sonos doesn't handle podcasts gracefully—makes apple's Podcast app like like a piece of genius.

I won't deny that the sonos hardware is very well done and the fundamentals of the network are rock solid. But in my apple-centered world, I'd love to see how well apple might integrate iTunes into a platform like sonos.

Of course, I'd expect comparable features out of an apple solution. Perfectly synced playback. Multiple streams to multiple zones. Classy, good sounding speakers and quality interfaces for your own gear like the Connect & Amp.

It would take a hell of a system to unseat sonos for me, but I'd love to see them try.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    polymnia wrote: »
    ^ post

Would you happen to know the current track number limit on Sonos? I didn't buy it when it came out as there was a 25,000 track limit. They upped it to 50,000 later but that still wasn't enough for my ever growing collection.

PS: without following the link, that is one heck of a sig you have there.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Would you happen to know the current track number limit on Sonos? I didn't buy it when it came out as there was a 25,000 track limit. They upped it to 50,000 later but that still wasn't enough for my ever growing collection.

PS: without following the link, that is one heck of a sig you have there.

The last I heard it was 65,000. My library is hovering right around there.

I tried to do the opposite of all the gear listings and clever sayings I see in all the other sigs here. But I figured I should put a link to my portfolio site in there, I'm hopeful it helps my google-ability.

• Reply 26 of 29
    ^ post

Tnx

Clever. And a nice portfolio.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    philboogie wrote: »
    Tnx

Clever. And a nice portfolio.

Thanks for the kind words.

Now, please go tell the people piling on me in the Creative Cloud discussion that I'm not an obnoxious moron ;)
  • Reply 28 of 29
    ^ post

No idea what's up with those replies. I think it's a recurring thing unfortunately, a slight misinterpretation of what you wrote, and hiding behind a monitor calls out the bad in people. Though not all replies were like that, but for some reason I got what you were saying and I wasn't on the same level as others. It surely has happened to me as well. And sometimes I'm on a different level than the person I reply to.

There can be times when it gets to be too much, and I stop reading/posting threads.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    richl wrote: »
    The Sonos CONNECT:AMP acts as an amp (unsurprisingly). If I were to use Apple TV/Airport Express, I'd need to buy a standard stereo amp and leave it powered on permanently. It would be a two box solution, rather than a one box solution, and I'd lose synchronised playback functionality. 

It would be a worse solution for more money.
    Oh I see. I was confused as I have a Connect, and forgot there's one with a built-in Amp. I imagine there could be a synchronization issue between an existing AirPort express, but unlikely for a future Apple solution. I agree Apple probably wouldn't sell an amp, but I'd say HomeKit licensed compatible Amps would show up on the market just like AirPlay amps now, but these would be on-demand so your amp doesn't have to be on the entire time when not in use. Point being, Apple has likely already thought about this if they ever seriously considered getting into the business, so as to allow you to easily adopt an Apple system. But you're right, Apple will likely only design "the perfect" system and nothing to accommodate aberrant needs in the branded product. Speaker wires will most definitely not be a part of their solution, and thus left to licensed bird parties (so they still get a piece of the pie).