New Alchemy-like GarageBand synths appear to be first fruits of Apple's Camel Audio acquisition

Posted:
in Mac Software edited June 2015
Apple has quietly revealed a forthcoming update to its GarageBand music production app that will add a number of new synths with shape-shifting controls, additions that seem to be influenced by Camel Audio's popular Alchemy synth software, which Apple acquired earlier this year.

GarageBand's new synths with transform pad control

The new synths -- demos of which can be seen on Apple's GarageBand page --?include sweeping arp, droplets, bright punchy synth, pumping synth waves, and epic hook synth. In all, Apple says the update will give GarageBand "100 EDM‑ and Hip Hop‑inspired synth sounds."

Notably, each synth can be controlled by a new smart control that Apple calls the transform pad. That control is nearly identical to the remix pad found in Alchemy Mobile, an app which Apple acquired with Camel Audio in February.

Alchemy Mobile with remix pad

This suggests that Apple has worked quickly to integrate Alchemy into GarageBand, an unusually fast integration for Apple. Generally, the fruits of an acquisition are not seen in the company's products for a year or more.

Apple also teased some additional updates that are slated to arrive on June 30, the same day Apple Music launches in the U.S. MacWorld contributor Kirk McElhearn believes this could bring the ability to upload content directly to Apple Music's new Connect feature, while the GarageBand website suggests that the changes will be related to the existing Piano Roll Editor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Not my cup of tea, but I can understand Apple focusing on this area due to the alleged popularity of this style of music. I'd much rather they improve the realism of their guitars (whammy bar, please) and the drum and percussion options.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Forgot they bought Camel. Weird acquisition.

Why not focus on Logic?!!!???
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

I remember when if you wanted to play music, you learned an actual instrument.

• Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

I remember when you wanted to complain, you wrote a letter.

• Reply 5 of 17
    mykemmykem Posts: 33member
    Surprisingly, Alchemy keyboard seems to be back in the App Store (right after Apple's acquisition, it was gone from the App Store). And it's now seems to be a free app. Previously it was a freemium app- you download for free and pay for the useful features but now the features are all included.

I should add that I downloaded the app a few months back (although never paid for the IAP) and re-download the app from the "Purchased" section of the App Store.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Now if Apple would just buy rights to the marvelous podcast listening tools in Overcast and license them to any and all.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,555member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Forgot they bought Camel. Weird acquisition.

Why not focus on Logic?!!!???

It will come. GarageBand has often been a testbed for new functionality, only rolled into Logic when it was tried and tested. 

FWIW, Redmatica's Auto-Sampler (awesome software) has been rolled into MainStage, but not yet into Logic.

• Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

The tool doth not make the musician. 

It used to be that in order to learn an instrument, you had to build your own.

Instruments change, as do times.

• Reply 9 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mike1 wrote: »

I've learned several instruments the traditional way and I consider virtual instruments just as valid for making music.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    spheric wrote: »

The tool doth not make the musician. 

It used to be that in order to learn an instrument, you had to build your own.

Instruments change, as do times.

Well said.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    roakeroake Posts: 811member

I remember when you wanted to complain, you wrote a letter.

I remember when... What was I saying?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

I remember when I wanted to be able to make music, and all I was offered was the rote memorization of notation that I never could find a way to learn that's compatible with my learning style. Along came computer tech and I started making music and learning on my own. I also ended up buying/acquiring "actual" instruments to add to my electronic sounds.

I'm a bit pissy about "best makin' producas" myself, though, hah hah..

Get off my lawn!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    Who is to say what is or isn't an actual instrument. Music is music no matter what it is derived from.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I look forward to seeing what the come up with. Can't have enough virtual synths.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

Quote:

Who is to say what is or isn't an actual instrument. Music is music no matter what it is derived from.

Not if it's rap.  Sorry!

• Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Not if it's rap.  Sorry!

Everybody knows real music ended in 1962. 

Yes, I met a guy who seriously claimed that.

• Reply 17 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Not if it's rap.  Sorry!

Don't think you're sorry.