Apple releases sixth OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite beta to developers [u]

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2015
Apple on Monday released a new beta build of its upcoming OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite operating system to developers less than one week after a fifth version was seeded at WWDC, suggesting a public launch could be in the offing.

It is unknown what modifications are included in today's release, dubbed build 14E36b, as the change log is not yet available on Apple's developer webpage. The latest beta is the sixth for OS X 10.10.4 and comes less than a week after build 14E33b was seeded during WWDC.

In previous beta builds, Apple asked developers to focus on Photos, data migration and support for various system-level tools like font packages.

Following OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite, Apple plans to launch its next-generation OS X 10.11 El Capitan operating system, which was announced last week. El Capitan promises an enhanced user interface, a revamped Spotlight search tool with natural language input and more intuitive Internet queries, as well as numerous backend additions for developers.

Developers can download the latest Yosemite build through Apple's Developer Portal or Software Update.

Update: Public beta testers are also receiving emails prompting downloads of the new OS X 10.10.4 beta.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    To me, six betas means "this sucker better not have ANY bugs."
  • Reply 2 of 33
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    QUESTION:

Will there ever be an OS XI, or are we permanently on OS X?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    I am not able to say anything about the Developer Program, but I am not seeing the latest beta listed currently. Perhaps it has to be rolled out to more people over a period of time.

On another note, I have been engaged in conversations with people here (on AppleInsider) and elsewhere about the state of networking in OS X going forward. Apple has been wise to adopt SMB as the default protocol, since this is the defacto standard in enterprise and other environments. I am hoping that soon, AFP will be deprecated, and we will see SMB improved even more. On the server side, though, to complement SMB, Apple should deprecate Open Directory, and establish Active Directory as the service that is hosted on OS X Server. This would return domain controller functionality to OS X Server (which was removed in 10.7) and allow OS X Server to host Windows clients. This would also allow OS X to be seamlessly integrated in office networks, since there would only be one directory used, rather than creating a hodgepodge "magic triangle" with third-party tools in the mix, creating needless complication and IT headaches. Apple can do what it does best, enhance Active Directory with new features, at the same time as it offers OS X services (Time Machine Backups, Caching Server, Xcode Server, etc.) over business networks. This would make it much more likely for IT administrators to choose Apple over competing products. Apple also needs to create a real enterprise-grade MDM platform, to further reduce the clutter of Microsoft, Apple, and third-party tools in use. I have been saying this for a long time, so it is nothing new on my end!

Please, readers, help me carry this message to Apple. Apple will be the new reigning monarch of enterprise and cloud networks!!
  • Reply 4 of 33
    mr squidmr squid Posts: 58member

OS X has become a brand.  I will be very surprised if Apple ever changes the name to OS XI, or OS 11 unless they introduce a radically different operating system.  Perhaps if something replaces unix as the underlying operating system...

• Reply 5 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

QUESTION:

Since OS X 10.11 has already been announced I’m seriously doubting it. And there are plenty of California landmarks to choose from for naming.

• Reply 6 of 33
    if it is watchOS, and iOS, then we are going back to macOS. That's one dog's opinion from watching the Phil Schiller interview with John Gruber. You got a better target for the lower-caseOS remark, let us all know. woofOS!
  • Reply 7 of 33
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

QUESTION:

Why would there necessarily be an OS XI ?

• Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by danielsutton View Post

I am not able to say anything about the Developer Program, but I am not seeing the latest beta listed currently. Perhaps it has to be rolled out to more people over a period of time.

On another note, I have been engaged in conversations with people here (on AppleInsider) and elsewhere about the state of networking in OS X going forward. Apple has been wise to adopt SMB as the default protocol, since this is the defacto standard in enterprise and other environments. I am hoping that soon, AFP will be deprecated, and we will see SMB improved even more. On the server side, though, to complement SMB, Apple should deprecate Open Directory, and establish Active Directory as the service that is hosted on OS X Server. This would return domain controller functionality to OS X Server (which was removed in 10.7) and allow OS X Server to host Windows clients. This would also allow OS X to be seamlessly integrated in office networks, since there would only be one directory used, rather than creating a hodgepodge "magic triangle" with third-party tools in the mix, creating needless complication and IT headaches. Apple can do what it does best, enhance Active Directory with new features, at the same time as it offers OS X services (Time Machine Backups, Caching Server, Xcode Server, etc.) over business networks. This would make it much more likely for IT administrators to choose Apple over competing products. Apple also needs to create a real enterprise-grade MDM platform, to further reduce the clutter of Microsoft, Apple, and third-party tools in use. I have been saying this for a long time, so it is nothing new on my end!

Please, readers, help me carry this message to Apple. Apple will be the new reigning monarch of enterprise and cloud networks!!

Lots of people don't want Windows in their business, and do you really think that people who rely on Microsoft style networks would replace Windows based domain controllers with Mac ones?

As long as OS X can play nicely as a client, Apple has this covered appropriately.

In a non Windows / MS environment, why should I have to deploy Microsoft style networks?

• Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

if it is watchOS, and iOS, then we are going back to macOS. That's one dog's opinion from watching the Phil Schiller interview with John Gruber. You got a better target for the lower-caseOS remark, let us all know. woofOS!

They might go back to Mac OS X.  It was Mac OS X, then OS X.  They could rename it Mac OS X.   I doubt they will, after 15 years, change the name from OS X to macOS (or macOS X or macOS 10).  Too much existing branding involved I would think.

Also iOS was originally iPhone OS.  

• Reply 10 of 33
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Since OS X 10.11 has already been announced I’m seriously doubting it. And there are plenty of California landmarks to choose from for naming.
    My guess is it will change in the future when they bring their own A series chips to desktop and ditch Intel completely. I guess it will be only a few years away.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member

I think you are aiming a little high there ... ;) And meanwhile El Capitan forges ahead ... :) My only gripe with 10.11 is I am utterly lost without Carbon Copy Cloner (I have a lot of scripted tasks) and Mike is still ironing out the kinks on the beta for supporting it.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    peteralt wrote: »
    QUESTION:

I will need to reread my history but I think X is 'Ten' as in it came after OS 9 and the X was a clever homage to Unix / NeXT. Please correct me if I am off base there. So, in theory at some point there could be an OS 11 not necessarily using Roman Numerals either. That said, Apple has diverged from many of Steve's ideas so I guess all bets are off and Tim and his team could do anything they want. It could simply remain OS X for the next thirty years and keep having names per version as now.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    zaba wrote: »
    My guess is it will change in the future when they bring their own A series chips to desktop and ditch Intel completely. I guess it will be only a few years away.

I suspect there will be a consumer and professional Mac in our futures, the former running a Apple chips as you say, and I hope the professional Mac Pros still using Xeons and AMD GPUs. I am currently (well in my 'play time' that is) booting my nMac Pro into a Thunderbolt external SSD and running Windows 8.1 without any Bootcamp drivers. This allows me to use AMD's control panel and invoke Crossfire to utilize both AMD GPUs for video (OS X only uses one, the other is for computation). The world of high end 3D graphics games like GTA V etc. is a fun one! This is the sort of thing I'd miss with a Mac that was 100% locked down, Apple only.... but I do see that makes total sense for the mass market.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Yes, OS XI will arrive shortly after OS X 10.99.9 ????
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Probably. Small chance it's the last push of Yosemite, if not maybe one more. Most of the team is probably working on El Capitan. 

• Reply 16 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    peteralt wrote: »
    QUESTION:

Why is that important to you?
  • Reply 17 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mr squid wrote: »
    OS X has become a brand.  I will be very surprised if Apple ever changes the name to OS XI, or OS 11 unless they introduce a radically different operating system.  Perhaps if something replaces unix as the underlying operating system...

OS X has become as recognizable as "Mac" or "Apple". There's a lot of brand equity in that trademark. Plus, I recall many years ago there was some other operating system out there called OS 11.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    OS X has become as recognizable as "Mac" or "Apple". There's a lot of brand equity in that trademark. Plus, I recall many years ago there was some other operating system out there called OS 11.

That's a good point, OS X is a brandname not a version. It's probably here for a long, long time to come. As someone else said up the thread, 'there are still a lot of landmarks in California for versions names.'
  • Reply 19 of 33
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Lots of people don't want Windows in their business, and do you really think that people who rely on Microsoft style networks would replace Windows based domain controllers with Mac ones?

As long as OS X can play nicely as a client, Apple has this covered appropriately.

In a non Windows / MS environment, why should I have to deploy Microsoft style networks?

I don't want Windows, however OS X Server has had some serious issues going back to 10.7.  It has gotten better but learning network administration with Server was extremely difficult.  There was always a balance of what did I screw up and what did Server screw up.  Spend some time on the Apple discussion boards to see what I mean.

If switching to MS network standards means increased network stability then sign me up!

• Reply 20 of 33
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Seems like my late 2012 27" iMac had a firmware update with 10.10.4, since I got the older "thick" progress bar for a while, then a reboot, and back to the thin one. My boot ROM version is now IM131.010A.B08, the latest listed on Apple's site (but only for the 21" version) is IM131.010A.B05.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/60090/width/350/height/700[/IMG]