Apple Music signups begin appearing in iOS 8.4 beta ahead of June 30 launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Users of the latest iOS 8.4 public beta are encountering a signup prompt for Apple Music a full two weeks before the service is scheduled to go live, according to tips received by AppleInsider.

In screenshots shared by Alex, a reader from the Netherlands, the signup process -- triggered automatically by opening the Music app -- appears unfinished, with boilerplate text on the initial splash screen. There users have the option of beginning a three-month free trial or skipping to the app's regular interface.

Selecting the trial option advances to a screen where users can pick an Individual or Family membership plan, but attempting to advance any further reportedly fails.

Apple Music is not scheduled to go live until June 30. By that date Apple is planning to release the final version of iOS 8.4, as well as Mac and Windows iTunes updates, all of which are specifically intended to support Apple Music. Sometime this fall, Android and Apple TV clients will also become available.

Full access to Apple Music will cost $10 per month for a single user, and $15 per month for a six-person Family plan. People who skip signing up will still be able to access Beats 1 radio, iTunes Radio, and Connect artist feeds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I can't wait.
    I'm plunking down my family plan cash on day one. ????
    I hope it gets popular enough so sharing becomes fun again. Hate sending link to YouTube. The quality is just atrocious.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Appearing in South Africa as well.
    The cost though isn't constant for each country.
    The family plan is R89.99 in RSA, which is about $7.30 today.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/60085/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 3 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I can imagine the ?Radio DJ today ... "Ok this is for you listening out there, Bill in Santa Clara, I believe?"
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Will "Beats 1" be a single station?

And it will be in addition to the multiple stations still available on iTunes Radio?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    According to images of Apple Music posted on Apple's website, slprescott, yes. "Beats 1" is a single catch-all station, playing all kinds of music that is deemed "good" by the tastemakers in charge. Said humans will, we understand, be curating the playlists in the "genre" radio stations that were previously part of iTunes Radio.

What we don't yet know -- or at least I don't -- is whether you will still be able to make custom stations as we currently do in iTunes Radio. While I prefer human-curated to algorithms, I would miss my tuned, custom iTunes Radio stations if they went away.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

What happens when you use the Fuse button (I imagine it's made for Beats accounts) ? Can't wait.

• Reply 7 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    What Apple should have mentioned:

Full 3rd party app support
    Especially at WWDC.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I've read the pricing models for individual and family plans, are there any rumors about possible student pricing? Spotify offers 50% off for students that sign up. If Apple Music did this I think it could help convince a lot of college students to switch over.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    cali wrote: »
    What Apple should have mentioned:

Full 3rd party app support
    Especially at WWDC.

But there isn't any.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    squuiidsquuiid Posts: 58member
    Did any of you who have now signed up already have an iTunes Match subscription?
    I'm curious as to what happens to it. Does it get cancelled, stay in place, or add a few extra months to your Apple Music subscription?

UPDATE: My bad, I see that it doesn't yet allow you to go through the whole signup process. This article is rather misleading.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    So what about those who already have a Beats subscription?
  • Reply 12 of 14

Saw this in Australia too - $10.90 for individual, and $16.something for family. The screen disappeared before I could screenshot or try to sign up though.

• Reply 13 of 14
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm View Post

What we don't yet know -- or at least I don't -- is whether you will still be able to make custom stations as we currently do in iTunes Radio. While I prefer human-curated to algorithms, I would miss my tuned, custom iTunes Radio stations if they went away.

iTunes Radio will be there along with Beat1

• Reply 14 of 14
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squuiid View Post

I'm curious as to what happens to it. Does it get cancelled, stay in place, or add a few extra months to your Apple Music subscription?

No it will not. iTunes Match is much cheaper than Apple Music. Many people who want to only listen to their own music will not be forced to switch. Plus it has no DRM. 

But Apple Music has one big advantage and that is the limit of songs you can download is much much more (more than 100,000 I believe).