Apple Watch models now available for in-store pickup at Australian Apple Stores, UK to follow

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited June 2015
As of Wednesday local time, Apple Stores in Australia are stocking Apple Watch models for in-store sales, portending a start to brick-and-mortar retail sales at outlets around the world.

The Australian Online Apple Store is showing an "Interested in buying in-store?" link that routes to a "Reserve and Pick Up" page for Apple Watch orders. Selecting the option allows potential buyers to schedule a purchase appointment at a brick-and-mortar store, the first instance of official Apple Store availability since Watch debuted in April.

The process requires buyers enter an Australia-based phone number to which a unique registration is sent. Upon receiving Apple's text, customers have 30 minutes to reserve a pickup time before the code expires.

Only select models are available at this time, with more common Sport and stainless steel models turning up as in stock at many locations. Hard to get versions like the Space Black stainless steel Apple Watch and all Apple Watch Edition iterations are still limited to online purchases.

The UK Online Apple Store is showing an identical reserve and pick up webpage, but the buying option is set to go live at 6 a.m. local time.

Earlier this month, Apple released a statement regarding Apple Watch availability, saying retail store sales would begin on June 26, though it seems that timeline has been accelerated in certain regions. That same day marks an expansion of sales to Italy, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland and Taiwan.

Apple is expected to expand in-store Apple Watch order fulfillment at more locations as stock levels rise, meaning a U.S. launch could come as soon as tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19

at 579 dollars for the basic sport watch... forget it... I will wait for gen 2 and a price drop thanks !

• Reply 2 of 19
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    I really REALLY don't like Apples sales model and tactics with the watch.

Just seems overcomplicated and un-Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I have to agree! Not cool of Apple.

I'm passing on the watch cause my kids need computers.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not one for charity but for my kids I will swallow my pride. Apple Community is great!

http://www.gofundme.com/edutoolsforkids
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Waiting for US stores to open up... I don't want to wait 1-2wk for shipping....
  • Reply 5 of 19
    baz1536baz1536 Posts: 29member
    I just placed mine on the UK site. I have one coming from China but severe weather issues have delayed the export
  • Reply 6 of 19
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

I really REALLY don't like Apples sales model and tactics with the watch.

Just seems overcomplicated and un-Apple.

I totally agree. As I mentioned on another thread I am super pissed off with Apple for the first time in 25 years. Twice in the last two months they have severely irritated me with customer service that I would expect from PC World or Walmart, but not Apple. 

It's the kind of service I would expect to see if John Browett was still at Apple! I hope this in not the fruits of Angela Ahrendts presence, if so, she can jog on back to Burberry and continue making clothes for chav's (english term: "

1. a young lower-class person typified by brash and loutish behaviour and the wearing of (real or imitation) designer clothes."

).

The previous incident was a faulty cracked iPhone6+ screen replacement. I lived with a ghostly iPhone that would randomly type letters or not be responsive to touch at all. The day I went to take it back a small scratch appeared from my keys in my pocket, and because of that I was unable to get them to fix the phone. It's not about the money it's about principles, they knew they had made a mistake, but they refused to fix my phone on a technicality.

Way to piss off one of your most loyal customers Apple! Good work.

• Reply 7 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    So now that Apple is gaining a bit on their supply vs. demand problem, you guys think it's time to complain some more.

I like this term "chavs."
  • Reply 8 of 19
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

So now that Apple is gaining a bit on their supply vs. demand problem, you guys think it's time to complain some more.

I like this term "chavs."

I'm not complaining about Apple improving their supply. I'm complaining about the general standard of customer service which I have received over the last couple of months. It's not the Apple that I once knew. I have a retail presence myself, and I base my companies customer service policy on Apple's model, whereby we have rules, but if we are clearly in the wrong, we will bend those rules and offer replacements if circumstances show that our company is at fault . We are particularly lenient to loyal customers who spend a lot in our shops, that have a genuine problem, and this is how I expect Apple to be.

• Reply 9 of 19
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I'm not complaining about Apple improving their supply. I'm complaining about the general standard of customer service which I have received over the last couple of months. 

I've received nothing but amazing customer service from Apple, even recently. As long as you go in there with a smile, they'll bend over backwards to help in my experience.

• Reply 10 of 19
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I'm not complaining about Apple improving their supply. I'm complaining about the general standard of customer service which I have received over the last couple of months. It's not the Apple that I once knew. I have a retail presence myself, and I base my companies customer service policy on Apple's model, whereby we have rules, but if we are clearly in the wrong, we will bend those rules and offer replacements if circumstances show that our company is at fault . We are particularly lenient to loyal customers who spend a lot in our shops, that have a genuine problem, and this is how I expect Apple to be.

Reviewing your past posts, I would contend that hate is a commonly featured in your vocabulary. Next to complaining.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I've received nothing but amazing customer service from Apple, even recently. As long as you go in there with a smile, they'll bend over backwards to help in my experience.

Likewise. 

• Reply 11 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I've never had a bad experience at an Apple Store either. Nothing but good experiences for me.

With the Watch in store you get a really nice high quality bag.

[img]https://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/nicksmits_2015-jun-16.jpg?w=704&h=937[/img]

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/10p96vc.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Just reserved mine in CT for insider pickup at 10am
  • Reply 13 of 19
    holtonholton Posts: 6member
    Looks like the US is coming online today. Several states show inventory in store this morning.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Available in US as well, I just reserved mine for pickup at 10am in New Haven CT
  • Reply 15 of 19
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane Sheppard View Post

at 579 dollars for the basic sport watch... forget it... I will wait for gen 2 and a price drop thanks !

I can understand those that want to wait for gen 2, as in the past there has been a significant improvement over gen 1 (iPhone and iPad) examples.  However, I would not expect a price drop (at least in US$) - only hope is if your Australian dollar improves.  Apple has kept the same price for iPhone and iPad new models, in US$, since the beginning (note: first gen iPhone with AT&T initially had a different pricing model).

My guess as well is that when Apple introduce the second generation Apple Watch, they will no longer offer the original gen 1 for sale at a lower price (other than clearing out inventory).  I think they will want to keep the lines clean for awhile (this is not to say they will not offer different material options, along with different band options, in such a gen 2).

• Reply 16 of 19
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

From the day that Jobs introduced the Mac in 1984, I have purchased virtually every model since. (And that goes for virtually every other  Apple product, particularly after Jobs'/Apple's keynote introductions.) 

And from that first launch day in January, 1984, it wasn't the initial hardware that cost me the most, but all the peripherals, software, and books/manuals/training materials, etc., as well as all the time involved in their purchase/learning/use since to achieve a positive return on my investments.

For most of my 'Apple' purchases, particularly at the beginning, there wasn't or hadn't been much 'options' offered. A situation that many complained about for years. 

Now, with the ?WATCH, we have multiple choices; nearly 4 dozen in fact! And as I have learned from the past, my first ?WATCH purchase will only lead to draining my wallet faster and higher than any Apple associated item that I ever bought before.

There is a saying, that the more choices you have, the longer it takes to make a decision. But like buying a pair of gloves, there isn't one that will physically fit on or aesthetically appeal to everyone.

The idea that there should have been a smaller selection to start is ludicrous. The idea that someone is smart enough to make that initial decision is equally ludicrous. And the idea that one would wager his/her career to cover the cost to manufacture and inventory enough required for every Apple store, and the time each sales person would have to spend trying to satisfy every customer that came through the door is…well, it doesn't take a genius to know where I am going with this.

As such, I applaud Apple's ?Watch launch strategy. Not just for the points I stated above, but for my own personal reason too. I.e., My cost. Since the announcement, I cut down Starbucks, and put the monies in MY ?WATCH FUND. I had the kids and and other family members to supplement the FUND on my birthday, Father's Day and Anniversary with Apple Store Gift Cards. In effect, it won't cost me a dime, especially after I caught my son using MY Apple ID online.

So, it has been said that Apple sold ~one million ?Watches in the United States alone the first day. Up to 10 million worldwide the first weekend. At any rate, it makes last weekend's box-office Jurassic Park results look like peanuts. Obviously, Apple's ?Watch launch strategy worked. Well. And beyond anything that has ever been tried before.

P.S. Just confirmed!      Picking up my ?WATCH in 3 hours.     Now to set up… 

MY ?WATCH CHRISTMAS FUND

• Reply 17 of 19
    baz1536baz1536 Posts: 29member
    Have collected mine and all setup. Have cancelled the inbound China one.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ppartekim View Post

Waiting for US stores to open up... I don't want to wait 1-2wk for shipping....

I think they ship sooner than that. I ordered a watch a few weeks ago when it said 2-3 weeks shipping. I received it in 6 days from my order date. 

• Reply 19 of 19
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    I just ordere a Sport Space grey which was quoted 1-2 weeks delivery and got shipped the next day and arrived on 2nd day after ordering! Finally supply demand balance? Did they push supply or did demand dry off?