British indie labels object to Apple Music's terms, may withhold artists like Adele and the Arctic M

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

A majority would be 51% or more. So yes, a majority will not stay a paying customer. If you think for one second that out of all the people that sign up for the free 3 months that the majority will stay on as a paying customer I have a bridge to sell you.

I'm not the one asserting one or the other, you are the one that needs to prove it and you have shown ABSOLUTELY nothing to back up your statement.  You must never been in debates.

• Reply 42 of 74
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

And just how many do you think will stay a paying customer? 5%, 20%, 60%? Some will stay on, the majority will not.

So? The 99% number still came out of his ass.

• Reply 43 of 74
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

I'm not the one asserting one or the other, you are the one that needs to prove it and you have shown ABSOLUTELY nothing to back up your statement.  You must never been in debates.

Well, that the majority won't pay seems obvious to me. Do we really need to argue about that?

• Reply 44 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    chadbag wrote: »
    mike1 wrote: »

Who?

The Who are kind of geriatric now, and some are dead.

/s

And some of the Dead are dead. :lol:
  • Reply 45 of 74
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And some of the Dead are dead. image

And some are un-Dead

• Reply 46 of 74
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    sflagel wrote: »
    Three month's lost revenues can be  painful, especially given the uncertainty about the conversion rate to paid subscriptions. Also, there is no cost in waiting. If the conversion rate is high, the Indies can still join Apple Music, and if it is slow, then they may get a better deal. It's a free option, the best thing life can offer.

Personally, I believe they will join because, although there is no clarity about this yet from Apple (maybe intentionally), Apple Music is not about streaming - it is a subscription service that is about downloading as many songs as you like for a fixed monthly fee. I expect (but I am really guessing here) they will be available in your music library, indistinguishable from purchased music. 

Assuming you listen to music for 70 years, at $ 10 per month you end up paying a total of $ 8,400 for music, about 500 albums. But on a subscription service, you are not restricted to 500 albums, i.e. you can listen to thousands of albums for the price of 500 albums. So many people will probably become paid subscribers.

Exactly! I won't switch to Apple Music because I already have Google Play Music which does all this already. I have no clue which music I own and which are a Part of the service. But for people who haven't bought into the streaming audio yet, Apple Music will be a great choice.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    john12345 wrote: »

Come on buddy. It's absolutely logically to know that the majority will not stay on.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    So, they stay off for the initial global 3 month trial and go live at the end of September. No biggie.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    trubadortrubador Posts: 80member

Easy fix… The 3-month trial period includes only artists/songs that agree to have their material available during the free time period. Those that don't will have their material available only on the paid-tier level. If you (a customer) looks up a song/artist, it'll tell you upfront if it's available under the free streaming trial period, or only under the paid level, or not at all. It's not that hard to adjust the system accordingly.

• Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:

Come on buddy. It's absolutely logically to know that the majority will not stay on.

Even if a minority sign up, they'll still dwarf Spotify in short order. Apple only needs 2.5% of their user base before they'll match Spotify's 20 million paid subscribers.

Then we have an Android App coming out this Fall. Contrary to the whiners online, most Android phone users don't really care for the iOS vs Android war and would consider Apple Music along with Spotify or others when making a choice to start using a streaming service.

Then we have market exposure. Have you EVER see a Spotify commercial during prime time TV? I've seen several Apple Music ads now.

Apple has everything needed up to make Apple Music a success. 100 country launch, smoking deal on family pricing, curated playlists, largest music library, radio stations, extensive marketing and a 90 day free trial. I don't get how people are yapping "why is this any better than Spotify?" Are these people that ignorant they can't see the difference?

• Reply 51 of 74
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Because they know that 99% of trials will end up with cancellations.

Indeed. It is time for Apple to prioritize important things instead of yet another failed service:

- NO to Beats;

- NO to Apple Music/Connect/Ping 2;

- YES to a solid OS;

- YES to new Macs.

And while they're at it:

FIRE Iovine;

FIRE "Dre";

FIRE Cook and hire Gil Amelio again.

• Reply 52 of 74
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

You missed the part where Apple is paying more royalties.  In the end, the musicians will end up with MORE money, not less(compared with spotify, etc).

it is not that much more - and you think they do not know the terms?, they are saying it makes no sense to them. It is Apple's service - they have billions of dollars. Apple should pay for the 3 months trial. "For the artist" only when convenient. 

• Reply 53 of 74
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Then we have an Android App coming out this Fall.

Apple has everything needed up to make Apple Music a success. 100 country launch, smoking deal on family pricing, curated playlists, largest music library, radio stations, extensive marketing and a 90 day free trial. I don't get how people are yapping "why is this any better than Spotify?" Are these people that ignorant they can't see the difference?

I think you forgot to mention a functionality or feature that makes Apple Music better than Spotify.....
  • Reply 54 of 74
    sflagel wrote: »
    I think you forgot to mention a functionality or feature that makes Apple Music better than Spotify.....

I think you forgot to read my comment.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    john12345 wrote: »

You missed the part where Apple is paying more royalties.  In the end, the musicians will end up with MORE money, not less(compared with spotify, etc).
    Nothing missed. We are talking about a three month period that in my opinion should be shouldered by Apple, a friend to the artist, the company that thinks different, the wealthiest company in the world, and not by the artist nor the indie labels who struggle to get by. The fact that Apple pays more royalties is good. Kudos where kudos is due.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Indeed. It is time for Apple to prioritize important things instead of yet another failed service:

- NO to Beats;

- NO to Apple Music/Connect/Ping 2;

- YES to a solid OS;

- YES to new Macs.

And while they're at it:

FIRE Iovine;

FIRE "Dre";

FIRE Cook and hire Gil Amelio again.

I guess the last statement indicates sarcasm, but I still want to add :)

- NO to dividends

- YES to more share buybacks

- YES to buy Wolfram Alpha 

- YES to buy Tesla and put Musk in charge

• Reply 57 of 74
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    I think you forgot to read my comment.
    You are right. Curated playlists. Missed that indeed. That is indeed genius.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

For a company that is constantly declaring its love of music, methinks they could do a better job using a trickle of their billions to support musicians.

Don't be ridiculous - Apple can't afford to pay artists.  When Apple invites artists to perform in their iTunes festival, they don't actually part with any money, they offer them strings of glass beads and increased promotional space on iTunes.  It seems fairly standard for Apple to expect music artists to work for their benefit with no financial compensation - unless you are U2 of course, then you just back up a large truck and pallet loads of cash are loaded on without blinking.

• Reply 59 of 74
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Nothing missed. We are talking about a three month period that in my opinion should be shouldered by Apple, a friend to the artist, the company that thinks different, the wealthiest company in the world, and not by the artist nor the indie labels who struggle to get by. The fact that Apple pays more royalties is good. Kudos where kudos is due.

Do the math.  Apple is actually paying more in the long run(compared to no free trial and only 70% royalty).

• Reply 60 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

You are right. Curated playlists. Missed that indeed. That is indeed genius.

Are you trying to be intentionally obtuse? Or are your reading comprehension skills that bad? From my post:

- 100 countries at launch (68 for Spotify, 58 Google and 3 Pandora).

- Family pricing much cheaper than Spotify.

- More music. Not just in songs, but for artists. Can't listen to Taylor Swift on Spotify. And who knows what artists in the future.Nobody has the pull Apple does with artists.

- 24HR live radio stations.