Nest unveils security camera, second-gen Protect smoke detector and updated app

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
Google-owned home accessory maker Nest on Wednesday launched the Cam, its first self-branded security camera, along with a second-generation version of its Protect smoke detector, and an updated mobile app for iOS and Android.

The Cam is based heavily on technology gained Nest's acquisition of Dropcam. Like the Dropcam Pro, Cam shoots video -- now up to 1080p -- with a wide 130-degree field of view and includes night vision support, while a microphone and speaker allow users to both talk and listen through the device. With Nest Aware (formerly Cloud Recording) subscribers can access recorded video online up to 10 or 30 days later.

Through the Nest mobile app, Cam owners can check video feeds, send voice clips and receive notifications whenever motion is detected.

The Protect has been upgraded with a new sensor that monitors two different light wavelengths, which Nest claims is better for detecting different kinds of smoke and hence both fast- and slow-burning fires. An improved smoke chamber, meanwhile, is intended to screen out debris and reduce false alarms.

Via the Nest app, owners of the new Protect can silence an alarm or run a safety checkup. Other product changes include a 10-year expected lifespan, thanks to a better carbon monoxide sensor, and the optional Nest Safety Rewards program, which can be used to get cheaper home insurance from Liberty Mutual and American Family at the expense of sharing Protect data.

The updated Nest app has been redesigned with a simpler interface, and monitors Cam, Dropcam, Protect, and Thermostat data. Thermostat users can now see indoor humidity and outside temperature, and tap an icon to let the device know if they're home or away. The number of supported Thermostats has been raised from 10 to 40 with a limit of 20 per building.

A single Cam is $199, while a Protect is $99. A Nest Aware subscription costs $100 a year for 10 days of video history, or $300 per year for 30 days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    You know people used to joke about Google putting a camera in your house with Nest.

But here it is, it even includes such helpful features as allowing you to open your cam to public viewing, and a privacy policy that does not forbid google from data collection.

like.. are they serious.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    No thanks. Don't need the government and Google watching me or my home.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Nothing creepy about Eric Schmidt's minions having real-time security footage from your home. /s
  • Reply 4 of 36
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I can't wait to rip my two Google Nests out of my house. I do not trust Google. There is no way I'm going to give it highly personal info what is going on in my home
  • Reply 5 of 36
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    A cam is worthless without playback if you want real surveillance. $100/year per cam to play back video? I have 5 cameras and the Nest solution would me cost $500 year. That seems too steep.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    That's fu**ing scary!!
  • Reply 7 of 36
    It's interesting to note that a Google-owned company is doing ads with so many Apple devices.

Anyway, I find it weird that you've got to pay to have access to 10-day or 30-day video history. I think it would be the main purpose of one of these cameras…
  • Reply 8 of 36
    mscohenmscohen Posts: 24member
    Hacking that video stream would be a cool aid to kidnappers, stalkers, and burglars. I can't wait to put one in my home.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Any word if Google will also have access to the data feed? You and your spouse are trying to get intimate and a condom ad appears on your android.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I bet I know one guy who would totally feel secure with a Google connected web cam and microphone in his home. Because it's Google. I expect nothing less than a [I]"but but but how do we know what Apple does with your photos in iCloud?"[/I] as the standard smokescreen rebuttal.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    red oak wrote: »
    I can't wait to rip my two Google Nests out of my house. I do not trust Google. There is no way I'm going to give it highly personal info what is going on in my home

What's stopping you? Can't you replace them?
  • Reply 12 of 36
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    My Nest lost my energy provider, and I have no idea if it was due to a Nest iOS app update, Nest firmware update or because I have on occasion turned off the cooling and heating completely, or because sometimes the Nest looses its WiFi connection and never finds it again unless I manually enter it. Ugh!

Yes I signed-up this year during the enrollment period and it showed previously on my thermostat, just like it did last year, but now it is gone. Nest FAIL.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member

I agree, $100 for 10 days playback for one camera, ouch! That is hardly consumerwear. I don't necessarily have an issue with putting a Google cam in my house as I have nothing to hide but security of the device worries me and the subscription service is just too steep. I would imagine 10 days free then $100 for 30 days playback or even $49 a year for 30 days playback, but it should be a bit more flexible allow extra devices too.

I've not checked the app but it should have geo fencing, so it can automatically enable video recording when you leave the house and auto turn off when you arrive home and certainly time based monitoring. 

The dark grey colour reminds me scarily of the old microsoft web cams from several years ago. Not compelling enough yet.

• Reply 14 of 36
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by danielagos View Post

It's interesting to note that a Google-owned company is doing ads with so many Apple devices.

Anyway, I find it weird that you've got to pay to have access to 10-day or 30-day video history. I think it would be the main purpose of one of these cameras…

Yah, that was my first thought, but I believe that using Apple devices in the promo video stems from Google promising to keep their nose out of Nest (i.e. keeping it a separately-managed entity), and also to swoon Apple users.

I think the video playback strategy is flawed. The video should be stored "on-device", not stored on Nest servers in the cloud. Far too much trust is being given to these companies.

• Reply 15 of 36
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

My Nest lost my energy provider, and I have no idea if it was due to a Nest iOS app update, Nest firmware update or because I have on occasion turned off the cooling and heating completely, or because sometimes the Nest looses its WiFi connection and never finds it again unless I manually enter it. Ugh!

Yes I signed-up this year during the enrollment period and it showed previously on my thermostat, just like it did last year, but now it is gone. Nest FAIL.

"Lost my energy provider" - hmmmm? what does this mean?

Which wifi router are you using in your house? That might be the culprit, not necessarily the Nest alone.

• Reply 16 of 36
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I bet I know one guy who would totally feel secure with a Google connected web cam and microphone in his home. Because it's Google. I expect nothing less than a "but but but how do we know what Apple does with your photos in iCloud?" as the standard smokescreen rebuttal.

Josh Topolski?

• Reply 17 of 36

A camera from Google, what could go wrong?

Aside from that. $100 for 10 days... any way I look at it, I'm seeing that 1 day of video at 1080p 30fps H.264 would be about 1TB per day. So for them to store a rolling 10 days of video, they need to allow 10TB storage. 

Considering the storage required, is it still an unfair price?

• Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Josh Topolski?

I should have said Guy instead of guy.

• Reply 19 of 36
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member

I know, right? /s

https://nest.com/privacy/

• Reply 20 of 36
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    The first cam is $100/year. Add'l cams are $50.

Still seems like too much. I would need at least 8 cams at my home to cover everything. That would cost $1,600 and $450/year if I wanted 10 day playback on all of them.

I could buy a 1080P POE system with local 2TB NVR and remote playback for about the same out of pocket and no yearly, plus no paranoia enhancement (it is Google after all).

But they are probably targeting people with small homes/apartments that could get away with just one or two cams. If those people can live with the paranoia factor, it is not a bad product. It is a nice package, well put together and it just works.

I have been using Nest thermostats for a few years now and they are great. I was thinking about the smoke detectors but they were too expensive before (I need 9). Looking much better now at $30 less with longer life. My paranoia is not too great for thermostats and smoke detectors.