First-gen iPad mini vanishes from Apple's store, leaving only Retina models

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2015
Apple on Friday unceremoniously removed the first-generation iPad mini from its website, including product pages and the online store, leaving only the iPad mini 2 and 3, both of which feature high-resolution Retina displays.

While the company didn't offer an explanation, it presumably managed to deplete unsold inventory after sales of the tablet tapered off. The first-generation iPad mini is now largely outdated, sporting a 32-bit A5 processor and a non-Retina display.

The original iPad mini was released in October 2012, and has seen multiple price cuts, most recently to as little as $249 for a 16-gigabyte Wi-Fi model.

Refurbished units are still available, starting at $209, and include options with extra storage and/or cellular support.

The change still leaves the Mini 2 and 3 as options, the latter differing from the Mini 2 only in adding Touch ID and a gold color option. Both feature Retina displays and 64-bit A7 processors.

Apple's plans for the Mini come this fall are uncertain, as much of Apple's iPad focus is expected to be on a 12.9-inch "Pro" model.

Despite its removal from the Apple Store, the first-gen iPad mini still has some life left in it, as Apple's forthcoming iOS 9 update will be compatible with the device. iOS 9 will also run on the legacy iPhone 4s and fifth-generation iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Finally getting rid of non-retina and A5 devices! Finally! Now get rid of the mini 2 this fall and reduce the price of the mini 3. Paying $100 more just for Touch ID is stupid.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Is there some OCD Army out there constantly perusing Apple’s website to find and report any changes, punditize those changes, and then distribute them to various tech blogs?

• Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Is there some OCD Army out there constantly perusing Apple’s website to find and report any changes, punditize those changes, and then distribute them to various tech blogs?

Yes apparently. Look! A font changed! Apple is doomed!

• Reply 4 of 22
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

computers: taking boring repetitive stuff and doing it... for practically free. 

Tech pundits:  I'll write crap content for food.

Tech Blogs:  I link ads to crap content for food.

Blog readers:   I strive for bits of crap content to make my life meaningful.

It's like bitcoin mining, just instead of random numbers, it's mining random factoids.  Then people monetize it.

• Reply 5 of 22

Meanwhile...

• Reply 6 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Apple really needs to cut bait on the older models. Trying to make iOS9 work on an iPhone4s or iPad2 is just looking to ruin the experience. Both of those models should have stopped at iOS6.xx with only security updates.

• Reply 7 of 22
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member

As expected.  That said, even the original mini is still a great little machine.  I'd keep the 2 in the lineup - not everyone needs or wants touchID and it saves $100.  Put the 8MP camera in the mini3 if possible and you'll further drive its sales.  

• Reply 8 of 22
    jpellino wrote: »
    As expected.  That said, even the original mini is still a great little machine.  I'd keep the 2 in the lineup - not everyone needs or wants touchID and it saves $100.  Put the 8MP camera in the mini3 if possible and you'll further drive its sales.  

Apple didn't raise the price when they added touch ID to the iPhones, or the 9.7" iPad. They should kill the mini 2 this fall but they won't as Schiller needs something at the $249 price point and they'll never drop the price of the mini 3 more than $100.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple didn't raise the price when they added touch ID to the iPhones, or the 9.7" iPad. They should kill the mini 2 this fall but they won't as Schiller needs something at the $249 price point and they'll never drop the price of the mini 3 more than $100.

What about a new iPod Touch back up to 249, possibly at 5" 

• Reply 10 of 22
    joelsalt wrote: »

What about a new iPod Touch back up to 249, possibly at 5" 

Maybe. I'm curious what Apple will do with iPod touch. And the iPhone 5C.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Apple really needs to cut bait on the older models. Trying to make iOS9 work on an iPhone4s or iPad2 is just looking to ruin the experience. Both of those models should have stopped at iOS6.xx with only security updates.

My son uses our 4s with iOS 8 and it works just fine.   The 4s was sold (maybe still is) in developing countries (until recently).  Don't want to get a bad reputation of not supporting your products.

• Reply 12 of 22
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

That's great that they finally depleted the stock of these old units (if indeed that's the case).   Now they should reduce the price of the Mini 2 by $50 so that the 16GB model is $249 (as the Mini was) and the 32GB is $299 and maybe reduce the upcharge to $100 instead of $130 for the two cellular models, to get rid of those as well.  

One could argue that they shouldn't be selling the 16GB models at all - that's simply not enough memory/storage to run these devices effectively.   

• Reply 13 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    That's great that they finally depleted the stock of these old units (if indeed that's the case).   Now they should reduce the price of the Mini 2 by $50 so that the 16GB model is $249 (as the Mini was) and the 32GB is $299 and maybe reduce the upcharge to $100 instead of $130 for the two cellular models, to get rid of those as well.  

One could argue that they shouldn't be selling the 16GB models at all - that's simply not enough memory/storage to run these devices effectively.   

why? my dad's 16gb devices run effectively and perfectly.

ill never understand the idealist opinions some techies have on what apple should do or offer, especially as it relates to options those techies dont or wont even use themselves.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member

Depends on what you are doing with it.   16GB is fine for a lot of people.  For others it is limiting.  I have 2 16GB wifi iPad mini (original).  One I bought, one I got when I bought a new VW (actually bought 2 new VWs and got 4 iPad minis 2 years ago -- kept one, gave one to my dad, and sold 2 to my boss).

For what our family uses them for, they are mostly ok.  Some times I wish I had more space on them.

My dad has the one I gave him, plus a 64GB mini he got as part of a membership somewhere.  Both serve him just fine and I don't think he has lacked for space.

Email, web browsing, and games for the grand kids doesn't require a ton of space.

If 32gb min would raise the prices substantially it probably is not worth it.  If 32gb would only negligibly  change the base price then maybe it is worth it for the help in marketing/sales Apple would gain by having that as a minimum.

• Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I don't think they'll do that until after Father's Day. Kind of a bad move to discount something a few days before.

• Reply 16 of 22
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

FYI  iOS 7 works OK on my iPhone 4.  My main problem is 16GB has become a squeeze, because of my  significant data and Apps.

I feel it's an error to still sell 8GB iPhones, there's only about 1GB left for the user.

Yes it's about time the non retina small iPad was dropped.  I passed on it because images were not sharp enough.

• Reply 17 of 22
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

iOS 8 works just fine on our iPad2.

We'll see with iOS 9.

• Reply 18 of 22
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 135member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Maybe. I'm curious what Apple will do with iPod touch. And the iPhone 5C.

If they turn the 5s into the 6c and include Touch ID and NFC I'll be getting one. Maybe one for the wife too.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

But it's great to have an option for cheap app developer testing devices.

• Reply 20 of 22
    Just give me an updated 5" iPod. Cmon apple. Don't dare quietly discontinue the iPod yet. It put you back on the map.