Corvette Z06 becomes first Chevrolet vehicle with Apple's CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
GM's Chevrolet division is now manufacturing its first vehicles compatible with Apple CarPlay, beginning with the Corvette Z06, the company said on Monday.

via TechCrunch
via TechCrunch

Official photos show a silver Z06 model rolling off a production line, reports to TechCrunch. The carmaker did not offer any more details, although in a May announcement it said that another product, the Cruze, would get CarPlay support as soon as June 24.

In all 14 Chevy vehicles are due to get the technology during the 2016 model year. Other models include the Tahoe, Suburban, Volt, Spark, Malibu, Camaro, Silverado, and Impala.

In general, only vehicle trims with a 7- or 8-inch MyLink display will have CarPlay support. Many cars will also get Android Auto compatibility, though initially limited to models with 7-inch displays. Support for 8-inch head unites is coming later in 2015.

CarPlay support has so far been extremely limited in the auto industry as whole, even though Apple first launched the platform in March of last year. The only car on the road with the technology built-in is the Ferrari FF -- something priced well beyond the means of most buyers. In the interim support has been largely limited to aftermarket receivers from Alpine and Pioneer.

In March 2015 Apple said that CarPlay would come to 40 new car models by the end of the year. Several of those will belong to Cadillac, which earlier in June said that CarPlay would come to the "majority" of its 2016 model lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Cool - another reason to buy a Corvette :)
  • Reply 2 of 19

Based on my experience with Siri as navigation system, I would certainly consider buying a car based on it's implementation of CarePlay, and it's integration into Apple Radio and the iPhone.  Setting navigation using voice commands is ridiculously cool, and easy compared to punch, punch, punch into a small keyboard or turning a dial.

• Reply 3 of 19
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

Is there any reasoning for the 2 year gap post announcement?

My guess would be the hardware was upgraded.  I'd bet the 2014 & 2015 models shipped with slower, last generation resistive based touch based screens.. where as the 2016 models have current generation capacitive touch based screens along with a faster processor & more RAM.

https://techexplainer.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/resistive-vs-capacitive-touchscreen/

This would also explain why CarPlay cannot be retrofitted to 2014 & 2015 models.  

• Reply 5 of 19

I want this car so badly.

• Reply 6 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    I wonder what the Z06/iOS ownership overlap is.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    There isn't a single reason for me to buy Ford, GM, Chrysler, Chevy, etc. Cannot stand the business decisions that knee cap style and interior quality for cheap.
  • Reply 8 of 19

It's time for Chevy to resurrect the Chevette and add CarPlay. 

• Reply 9 of 19
    djkfisherdjkfisher Posts: 131member

You have no idea what you are talking about.

• Reply 10 of 19
    djkfisherdjkfisher Posts: 131member

Why the Chevette was a really poorly executed GM vehicle.  Even GM admits it.  So why would they bring it back :(

• Reply 11 of 19
    djkfisher wrote: »
    Why the Chevette was a really poorly executed GM vehicle.  Even GM admits it.  So why would they bring it back :(

Right you are! The Chevette was GM's answer to the VW Rabbit, and a poor answer at that.

So, they should resurrect the Vega, another example of GM's exquisite designs.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The only car on the road with the technology built-in is the Ferrari FF -- something priced well beyond the means of most buyers.

Now you can add the $79,000 Corvette Z06 to that list...another car priced well beyond the means of most buyers.  In fact, most people don't buy a Corvette.  Apple used 2014 Civic photos for promotional photos, but 2015 is half gone and none of the Hondas have CarPlay.  Siri can already do most functions now without CarPlay.  No need for eye-candy on the screen.  People wanting to buy a car solely based on CarPlay are fools.  Apple is great at updating software and wiping out prior versions...so you know there is a chance new features won't work with outdated CarPlay 1.0 in the OEM head units, if it ever goes mainstream in vehicles.  Crickets have been chirping waiting for the auto manufacturers to catch up.

• Reply 13 of 19
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I think I'll wait for one of the German manufacturers to integrate CarPlay thanks.

• Reply 14 of 19
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    What I would like to see is a review each year of how CarPlay stacks up: a feature about how to use it & the ins/outs before you buy a system & a comparison to prior versions of CarPlay and other in-vehicle control systems: What is better, what is worse, etc.

Saying "We have CarPlay" is a novelty soon to wear off. What%u2019s that actually mean to end users? Does it work well to do X or Y, etc. I recall a comparison of in dash systems last year that were early versions incorporating some parts of CarPlay but were hampered by car maker's amateur conflicting UI.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dklebedev View Post

Is there any reasoning for the 2 year gap post announcement?

I think more to do with engineering and design.  Cars are not designed one month and start rolling off the line the next.  2 years may be the design lead time for new things making it into cars.

• Reply 16 of 19
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djkfisher View Post

Well, Chrysler/Dodge doesn't seem to have a problem bring back names of crappy cars.   Dart, anyone?

Can't wait for the new generation Neon.

• Reply 17 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    I think more to do with engineering and design.  Cars are not designed one month and start rolling off the line the next.  2 years may be the design lead time for new things making it into cars.

From what I know it's more like three to five for the typical sedan. That's probably why we're seeing car play in more expensive models first; their budgets can justify the added D&E time I takes to cram the new features in.
    conrail wrote: »

Well, Chrysler/Dodge doesn't seem to have a problem bring back names of crappy cars.   Dart, anyone?

Can't wait for the new generation Neon.

Dart replaced Neon, so maybe not… Rambler maybe? :)
  • Reply 18 of 19
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Dart replaced Neon, so maybe not… Rambler maybe? image

Since Chrysler bought AMC way back when, I've been hoping for the return of the Pacer...