Source: First iPhone without home button on Apple's roadmap, but not before 2017

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Can't force touch completely replace all home button functions? That would be pretty awesome I think. Just force touch anywhere to go home, hold a bit longer to activate Siri, etc.

not so great for the double-press functionality tho. there is just something simple and useful about the home button and its usability options.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

HOW WILL I TAKE SCREENSHOTS!?

You serious?

• Reply 43 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Hilarious.

• Reply 44 of 77
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    They will have to make the back one big touch panel and the sides one big round touch panel.

Also, if they put the fingerprint sensor on the screen, that will be in addition to possible 3D display technology and embedded solar technology. That's a lot of technology with a lot of layers to embed into the screen!
  • Reply 45 of 77

how do you know it's more complex/obscure? howz about we stop putting the cart before the horse.

• Reply 46 of 77
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Its funny, I wrote a post on how Apple Watch will get Facetime, without the crap DED has to put on the article, and how the tech will get TouchID integrated. This is an old rumors, then all of a sudden the next morning Digitimes repost something similar as rumors.

The current Touch ID solution scans your Fingerprint at 500DPI. Even with the latest rumors bringing iPhone 6s to 1080P and 6s Plus to 2.2K, their respective PPI will only be ~470. Unless Apple think this is enough for TouchID, otherwise we will likely be 2020 timeframe before we see this.    

• Reply 47 of 77
    mykemmykem Posts: 33member
    I love the idea of combining the on-screen TouchID and Force Touch. "Press to Unlock" where you have to place enough pressure on the screen (to eliminate unintended unlocking) using the registered thumb or finger would be a brilliant replacement for “Slide to Unlock”.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Wow that render is EXACTLY like I've been talking about. Make the entire bottom bezel TouchID sensitive with force touch.

You basically push the bottom of the phone to unlock. It feels natural try it.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Now, it looks almost like Samsung Galaxy with that rendering.

Except that's an iPhoney.

You guys give Sammy way too much credit. As if they invented any of their designs.

No that's just an iKnockoff.

mykem wrote: »
    I love the idea of combining the on-screen TouchID and Force Touch. "Press to Unlock" where you have to place enough pressure on the screen (to eliminate unintended unlocking) using the registered thumb or finger would be a brilliant replacement for “Slide to Unlock”.

That feels very natural too. I just tried it. Lock your phone and push the screen. Your brain almost expects something to happen.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

No that's just an iKnockoff.

You're a clever one.

• Reply 51 of 77
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    nizzard wrote: »
    God, I HOPE they make the entire touch screen an actual button, like the BlackBerry.

The Storm was the major reason RIM began its slide to irrelevancy.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    thompr wrote: »
    Hmmm, seems to me that:

2015 -> S model
    2016 -> New case, etc
    2017 -> S model
    2018 -> New case, etc

Yeah, but I keep thinking that as most of the life of the phones is in the year after the introduction, this would really be a 2017 phone. But technically, you're correct.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    ksec wrote: »
    Its funny, I wrote a post on how Apple Watch will get Facetime, without the crap DED has to put on the article, and how the tech will get TouchID integrated. This is an old rumors, then all of a sudden the next morning Digitimes repost something similar as rumors.

The current Touch ID solution scans your Fingerprint at 500DPI. Even with the latest rumors bringing iPhone 6s to 1080P and 6s Plus to 2.2K, their respective PPI will only be ~470. Unless Apple think this is enough for TouchID, otherwise we will likely be 2020 timeframe before we see this.    

There CPU,d be a limited area behind the screen for the sensor. Despite what we see of the patent, it doesn't mean that it's what Apple would do, if they do it at all. After all a fingerprint sensor has nothing to do with the LCD elements the screen uses to produce an image.

And don't forget the patents Apple secured several years ago for a camera that used the entire screen for a sensor. Where did that go?
  • Reply 54 of 77
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mykem wrote: »

I still think you need slide to unlock. There's enough pressure to accidentally unlock via force touch when you put the phone in your front pocket and sit down.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

my guess on one possible advantage to removing the home button is in reducing the number of moving parts.  In most of my experiences with iOS devices, the home button seems to fail a lot.  If you read iMore at all, they have tons of DIY articles about fixing buttons, switches, etc. on the phone.  So my guess would be that the buttons seem to be in the majority of things that fail on the devices.  If you can reduce things that fail on the devices, then you can reduce the amount of warranty claims and reduce the amount of overhead in manufacturing and support.  The real question would be here, by removing the home button, how does it affect Apple's profit margins?

That's interesting. I had assumed that electrical parts were more finicky and prone to needing repair than physical parts.

• Reply 56 of 77
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Apple's haptic feedback is at the point where a person could use a virtual button and think it's real (and thus get the psychological satisfaction). The first time I used the new taptic trackpad I thought it was the old one until I realized the click on the top was way better than any mechanical trackpad could ever hope to be.

I haven't tried the new taptic trackpad, but it's great to hear that it performs well.

My comments were in the context of an iPhone without a home button at all, as the mock-up photos show. But if Apple's haptic feedback tech is as good as you say, maybe I could see them replacing the physical home button with a virtual one. But what would happen with the rest of the "chin" surrounding the button? Isn't one rationale for removing the home button to gain more screen real estate?

• Reply 57 of 77
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    I am optimistic that Apple will remove all the Mechanical switches & Buttons on the iPhone. It would simplify manufacturing & increase reliability of the iPhone. I would love a phone that did not have mechanical switches and depended on software to detect that I wanted it to turn on / off, etc.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

I am optimistic that Apple will remove all the Mechanical switches & Buttons on the iPhone. It would simplify manufacturing & increase reliability of the iPhone. I would love a phone that did not have mechanical switches and depended on software to detect that I wanted it to turn on / off, etc.

I doubt it. If that's the case, they wouldn't make Digital Crown where the crown actually rotates. Instead, they would just make the edges of the watch touch sensitive for scrolling, zooming or anything the D Crown does. Apple just keep the home button for a really long time and I don't see it going away even after 2017.

• Reply 59 of 77
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

Given that sometimes the only way I can un-jam my phone is to turn it off, using the physical button, I'm not optimistic about a 100% software-driven interface. 

• Reply 60 of 77
    It's no secret that battles with Samsung are winding down now. Obviously they'll need Samsung's latest transparent screen technology to get to fingerprints using basically a camera sensor underneath the screen. I've read elsewhere possibly even the Note 5 will have no home button and instead the FP and front facing camera sensor (doubling as Iris on Move (IoM Stanford SRI Sensor) will be underneath the the new AMOLED transparent screen. If they can do it, what's keeping Apple from doing these things and eliminating the Home button too? I hate it on my iPhone 6 taking up so much of the space on front of the phone!

Apple has some great patents..... why not put them to work and instead fighting Samsung.... use their stuff to compete against them. Apple should have been using AMOLED screens years ago. I'm hoping that iPhone 6s will bring the move to AMOLED screens and possibly NO HOME BUTTON!!! ....maybe get it out the door before Samsung instead of afterwards!