Apple wins patent for unreleased Beats gaming headset

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2015
Apple on Tuesday won a U.S. design patent, discovered by AppleInsider, that could hint at the possibility of a Beats-branded gaming headset, potentially revealing a new microphone-equipped Beats product targeted at gamers.

The patent consists solely of images, and credits Robert Brunner and Christopher Kuh as inventors. The two are designers with Ammunition, a studio that has created a wide range of Beats audio products, such as its Solo line of headphones.

"Ammunition works in close partnership with Beats across product design, identity, and packaging to create an incredible experience for fans wherever they meet the product," one marketing blurb explains.

The concept resembles other Beats headphones, but with the addition of a microphone jutting out from the left earpiece. Although phone-oriented headsets can typically get away with streamlined microphones, for instance hidden in a remote, an external microphone can be essential for gaming, especially when issuing voice commands.

The patent was originally submitted to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on May 14, 2014 -- just two weeks before Apple would announce its acquisition of Beats for $3 billion.

It's not clear if Apple might actually be interested in manufacturing the headset. The company generally steers clear of gaming products, especially in the desktop and console worlds, where dedicated headsets are normally found. The Beats brand continues to exist as a separate entity however, and might afford Apple some flexibility.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Console gaming, or PC gaming? Very different set of plugs
  • Reply 2 of 13
    So Apple invented gaming headsets now? /s
  • Reply 3 of 13
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

FFS, you can't "win" a patent unless it's a prize. You are awarded a patent, there is no winning involved.

• Reply 4 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    evilution wrote: »
    FFS, you can't "win" a patent unless it's a prize. You are awarded a patent, there is no winning involved.

"Issued", "granted" and "assigned" are also acceptable variations.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not really, there's this magic thing called a 3.5mm jack. Also weird things called USB ports.

• Reply 6 of 13
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

It's a design patent. Not related to utility or function.
  • Reply 7 of 13

Not really, there's this magic thing called a 3.5mm jack. Also weird things called USB ports.

I found a 3.5mm jack on my PS4 controller. I heard Mac and PCs have them too, and some smartphones are rumored to have 3.5mm jacks, but not sure. Can anyone confirm?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dasanman69 wrote: »

The high end console gaming headsets have RCA plugs which allow the player to plug directly into the audio out of the console. The cheaper console ones have a single 3.5 mm plug while the PC ones have 2 3.5mm plugs the can be wired up in 2 different standards. So yes really.
  • Reply 9 of 13

I found a 3.5mm jack on my PS4 controller. I heard Mac and PCs have them too, and some smartphones are rumored to have 3.5mm jacks, but not sure. Can anyone confirm?

PC gaming headsets have dual 3.5mm plugs. One for the audio, and the second for the mic, not so for the console headsets. See my post above.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think they do, it's weird.

The Xbox One now has one on the revised controller as well. And the new Elite controller.

• Reply 11 of 13

I think they do, it's weird.

The Xbox One now has one on the revised controller as well. And the new Elite controller.

The Xbox 360 controller also had the headset port on the controller and the PS3 used a USB on the console port for a headset. There isn't a singular standard when it comes to gaming headsets.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That so funny!/s

The patent application is said to consist solely of images--it's a design patent intended to thwart copying and fraud.

• Reply 13 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    cpsro wrote: »

That so funny!/s
    The patent application is said to consist solely of images--it's a design patent intended to thwart copying and fraud.
    Note that anything drawn with dotted or dashed lines is not included in the design claims. That leaves very little as protected design elements, only the exterior trim on the earcups as far as I can see along with oddly the flat rectangular headband. which I've seen on other headsets. :???: Apple is not claiming any of the port designs, ear cups or other ornamentals nor claiming those elements tthat are protected are pertinent only to a gaming headset.