iOS 9 can automatically delete, reinstall apps to make room for OS updates

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
The second beta of Apple's next-generation mobile operating system revealed a new feature that went undiscovered until now -- the ability to automatically delete apps to clear space for the update, then reinstall them once the upgrade is complete.

Developers running the first beta of iOS 9 on devices with limited free space were greeted with a new dialog informing them that their device has insufficient space to download the update, while offering the option to "Allow App Deletion." The dialog says that any apps deleted will automatically be replaced once the update is complete.

Users can choose to let iOS decide which apps to delete, or cancel the download and manage the space on their device manually.

Apple has taken a number of steps to make upgrading easier for users in iOS 9. In addition to automatic app deletion, the company will allow overnight updates that will be carried out while users don't need their device.

Apple has also reduced the amount of free space required to install updates on the device, from 4.6 gigabytes for iOS 8 to 1.3 gigabytes for iOS 9.

First announced during Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, iOS 9 brings long-awaited updates for Siri, iPad multitasking, and a host of other updates and changes. It's currently available to developers in beta form, and will likely ship alongside the next-generation iPhone later this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Uh-oh... I guess 16gb iPhones will be with us for a while :(
  • Reply 2 of 44
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    As I said [URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/186884/apple-releases-second-ios-9-beta-to-developers#post_2739094]earlier[/URL], [I]this[/I] is Apple's response to customers saddled with a 16GB iPhone?
  • Reply 3 of 44
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    I wonder how they choose which apps to delete.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I am guessing they will choose the app that has the same storage size as the update then ask for that app to be deleted (I don't think it really deletes it, it merely makes a copy back online) and then deletes it and install the update then back up the deleted app back into the phone.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Fantastic idea. They already had the highest adoption rate, they didn't have to invest more into it, but I like how Apple continues to improve even when they're number 1.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    macvicta wrote: »

"If maker = "Google", Then Delete"
  • Reply 7 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So does this mean stupid 8GB devices are here to stay?
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Fantastic idea. They already had the highest adoption rate, they didn't have to invest more into it, but I like how Apple continues to improve even when they're number 1.

Sure seems like they're doing this to justify selling 8GB and 16GB devices. In the keynote Federighi admitted iOS 8 adoption rate wasn't higher because some people didn't have enough free space to download the OTA update.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So does this mean stupid 8GB devices are here to stay?

Only if you're dumb enough to buy one!.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    john.b wrote: »
    As I said earlier, this is Apple's response to customers saddled with a 16GB iPhone?

Sure seems like it. Obviously people bitching on Twitter about not being able to update their software because they don't have enough space was heard by the higher ups at Apple. It was embarrassing. Glad Apple is doing something about it but 32GB should still be the base storage for all iOS devices sold to consumers. Keep 16GB around for businesses and schools if that's all they need.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    macvicta wrote: »

Anything from Google first! :D
  • Reply 12 of 44
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member

Just for the people wondering about this, I don't think it deletes the app the same way it does when you hold it and hit the delete X.

I think it just removes the executable, and leaves the user's app data folder there, and then just reinstalls the executable.  The user's data is not touched at all.

This is speculation on my part and I don't really know what they are doing, but it seems they would play it safe.

• Reply 13 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Apple came up with a creative thinking-outside-the-box method of dealing with devices with limited storage and large OS updates. Nice work!
  • Reply 14 of 44
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Just for the people wondering about this, I don't think it deletes the app the same way it does when you hold it and hit the delete X.

I think it just removes the executable, and leaves the user's app data folder there, and then just reinstalls the executable.  The user's data is not touched at all.

This is speculation on my part and I don't really know what they are doing, but it seems they would play it safe.

This is NOT speculation. This is how it works. Same way app store upgrades work. Apple isn't going to risk the loss of user data even if said data is backed up to iCloud as it might not be the absolute latest.

• Reply 15 of 44
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gregquinn View Post

Uh-oh... I guess 16gb iPhones will be with us for a while image

Only for those that, well you know, decide to buy one?

• Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

This is NOT speculation. This is how it works. Same way app store upgrades work. Apple isn't going to risk the loss of user data even if said data is backed up to iCloud as it might not be the absolute latest.

100% my thinking.  I said it was speculation on my part (and it was) as I had no confirmation of it.  But I assumed they would do it the same way app store upgrade works etc.

My question is if I have an older version of the app do I get that version back?

• Reply 17 of 44
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gregquinn View Post

Uh-oh... I guess 16gb iPhones will be with us for a while image

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

As I said earlier, this is Apple's response to customers saddled with a 16GB iPhone?

Please educate yourselves. Apps compiled with Xcode 7 will be much smaller, iOS 8.4 and up will have a streaming music option, and this feature will makes updates easy. Come October, a 16GB device will be just as useful as a 32GB device is now, and you have no problem with the latter. This basically comes down to you not understanding that there could be more than one solution to the storage issue.

• Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

That had better be the way that works! Losing your app data just to facilitate an OTA update? Bad move.

• Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

100% my thinking.  I said it was speculation on my part (and it was) as I had no confirmation of it.  But I assumed they would do it the same way app store upgrade works etc.

My question is if I have an older version of the app do I get that version back?

Doubtful: the restored version would most conservatively come from Apple's servers. and that would mean the latest. That also would make sense since the biggest volume of griping comes from apps not quite compatible with the latest OS upgrade and that would quiet at least a bit of the whining.

• Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Doubtful: the restored version would most conservatively come from Apple's servers. and that would mean the latest. That also would make sense since the biggest volume of griping comes from apps not quite compatible with the latest OS upgrade and that would quiet at least a bit of the whining.

They do keep older versions around so that older versions of iOS can download compatible versions, though I don't know how that works. 

I have auto app update off and often am conservative about upgrading my apps.