iOS 9 can automatically delete, reinstall apps to make room for OS updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    rogifan wrote: »
    Sure seems like they're doing this to justify selling 8GB and 16GB devices. In the keynote Federighi admitted iOS 8 adoption rate wasn't higher because some people didn't have enough free space to download the OTA update.

I hope that's not the case, but either way it's good for people on all 16gb and 8gb devices sold for the last while.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    ralphmouthralphmouth Posts: 192member

Having a bigger entry level iPhone doesn't solve the problem. People will still fill up memory with their stupid drunk selfies and Kim Kardashian apps.

• Reply 23 of 44

Does anyone know how this works if you plug the Phone/Pod/Pad into your computer before updating? Will it still download everything over the air, or is it smart enough to just restore the apps from the computer's iTunes apps?

• Reply 24 of 44
    Quit the griping. This is brilliant.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

They do keep older versions around so that older versions of iOS can download compatible versions, though I don't know how that works. 

I have auto app update off and often am conservative about upgrading my apps.

Me too, except after upgrading an iOS: then I want to get those improved compatibility upgrades as soon as possible.

• Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Does anyone know how this works if you plug the Phone/Pod/Pad into your computer before updating? Will it still download everything over the air, or is it smart enough to just restore the apps from the computer's iTunes apps?

If you're using iTunes to do the upgrade nothing comes in over the air (unless the computer is connected wirelessly and the phone setup wouldn't know (or care) about that).

• Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

Please educate yourselves. Apps compiled with Xcode 7 will be much smaller, iOS 8.4 and up will have a streaming music option, and this feature will makes updates easy. Come October, a 16GB device will be just as useful as a 32GB device is now, and you have no problem with the latter. This basically comes down to you not understanding that there could be more than one solution to the storage issue.

Really, you mean each one of the the increasing number of apps written with Swift won't come bloated with the Swift runtime library? Good to see Phil Schiller writing on AI ;)

• Reply 28 of 44
    vuduvudu Posts: 28member
    [B]Delete Apps to make room:[/B]
    [I]Is this an option - or does it do it automatically?[/I]

[COLOR=blue]If it relies on the Appstore - what happens to apps you have declined to update to the latest version?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]You had better have a valid, unlocked Apple ID -
    or it could wipe your apps & leave you unable to reload them!!![/COLOR]
  • Reply 29 of 44
    vuduvudu Posts: 28member
    Quote:

They do keep older versions around so that older versions of iOS can download compatible versions, though I don't know how that works. 

I have auto app update off and often am conservative about upgrading my apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by netrox View Post

I am guessing they will choose the app that has the same storage size as the update then ask for that app to be deleted (I don't think it really deletes it, it merely makes a copy back online) and then deletes it and install the update then back up the deleted app back into the phone.

Perhaps you are correct in your guess. Does that seem likely?

This is going to prove interesting to see how it all works.

If the apps exist in the Appstore, reloading from there ought to be straightforward & no cache of deleted files to replace.

However, if there is user action necessary - how would you know which it deleted?

Yes, maybe you’re right. I just have trouble imagining that they would store them on their server for you until the update is complete.

The alternative of requiring the user to reload them makes no sense, either.

Assuming that one has bought (updated) the latest version of all apps they own...

• Reply 30 of 44

Craigy, is that you?

• Reply 31 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't think this means the new phones this fall will still be 16GB. Apple said every device that got iOS 8 will get iOS 9. That includes lots of 16GB and 8GB devices. This most likely is so all those people upgrade and aren't stuck on iOS 8 because they don't have enough free storage.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

That had better be the way that works! Losing your app data just to facilitate an OTA update? Bad move.

gee, i wonder if Apple thought about that? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 33 of 44
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    It's about time, I've had the out of memory problem even on a families 32GB iphone 5. I would let Apple select the Apps to delete as long as they retain its data. I would be furious if game progress, gas usage, or vehicle mileage were deleted along with the app requiring a full restore (many hours) to get it back.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    So does this mean stupid 8GB devices are here to stay?

Only if you're dumb enough to buy one!.

If Apple is dumb enough to make it there will be people dumb enough to buy it.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Sounds good in theory but who covers the data download cost when the apps need to be reinstalled?
  • Reply 36 of 44
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

I hope there will be some Intelligent Detection before doing so. What if,

Deleting All Apps on iPhone still does not provide sufficient space? ( That will just be stupid )

It should ensure that your Apps are still available on the App Store. ( Otherwise I cant get back the Apps I deleted )

It should ensure that it only delete the Apps that is the most recent version ( There may be reason why a user dont want to update their App )

• Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

If you're using iTunes to do the upgrade nothing comes in over the air (unless the computer is connected wirelessly and the phone setup wouldn't know (or care) about that).

I know it doesn't normally, but has anyone verified if this new feature has been tweaked to work that way?

• Reply 38 of 44
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by proline View Post

This is NOT speculation. This is how it works. Same way app store upgrades work. Apple isn't going to risk the loss of user data even if said data is backed up to iCloud as it might not be the absolute latest.

100% my thinking.  I said it was speculation on my part (and it was) as I had no confirmation of it.  But I assumed they would do it the same way app store upgrade works etc.

My question is if I have an older version of the app do I get that version back?

It's still speculation.

• Reply 39 of 44
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I once wrote an app that was closed to the 2GB limit. The number of complaints that it wouldn't install were surprising. This plus app thinning are welcome changes. 

Well done Apple for listening. :)

• Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't think this means the new phones this fall will still be 16GB. Apple said every device that got iOS 8 will get iOS 9. That includes lots of 16GB and 8GB devices. This most likely is so all those people upgrade and aren't stuck on iOS 8 because they don't have enough free storage.

Yes I came around to the realization they were giving an acknowledgement to the legacy phone stock as well.