Rumor: Apple's iPhones could adopt flexible OLED displays in 2018

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Well Apple is using OLED on the watch and Jony Ive did seem very enthusiastic about the Watch display over the current iPhone display in that New Yorker article. I'm sure Apple is experimenting as they do with lots of things. Of course that doesn't mean we'll see iPhone's with OLED screens anytime soon.

I'm talking about the curved screens the article is referring to. We can be sure that Apple has been spending money to investigate OLEDs for years.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Is making curved screens the only reason to move to OLED?

Not at all. Two other reasons for using OLED, which Apple now incorporates in Apple Watch, is for it's deep black pixels and zero power use for black pixels.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    I am sure Apple's response to this story would be..."No comment." So what's the point of all this pontification? Let's just wait and see what happens.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Right now, in order to get sufficient brightness, AMOLED screens need the Pentile arrangement, such as Samsung uses, which has a white sub pixel in every pixel. This results in a need for a higher Rez screen, otherwise, the screen looks course, particularly with type and fine graphics.

Samsung doesn't use white subpixels in their OLED displays, you must be confusing them with Pentile LCDs. The type of Pentile that's used in OLEDs uses RGBG - meaning full resolution for green and half resolution for red and blue.

• Reply 25 of 63
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member

You're probably right. This is probably more some company trying to influence Apple than vice-versa.

Apple has done a marvelous job innovating their iPhones. That's why their sales are soaring. In contrast, they've innovated poorly with their iPads. My iPad 3 doesn't lack anything that would make me buy a new model. Others feel the same, which is why iPad sales lag.

But I fear that Apple will run out of genuinely new and good ideas for iPhones and turn to gimmicks such as curved or flexible, much like they've made a big  deal about thin for the last few years. Thin I can tolerate in a smart phone. Thin in a laptop is another story. It comes with stripped-down features. It's devoid of adequate ports and unable to upgrade the RAM. Those aren't 'features' I want in a laptop. That's why I stick with my aging white MacBook. I don't want the iPhone to move down that same dysfunctional path.

• Reply 26 of 63
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Is making curved screens the only reason to move to OLED?
    Of course not. The main reason is likely to satisfy Jony Ive's demanding design aesthetic, for seamless bezel to screen transitions. He was quite clear in a New Yorker interview that the current technology employed in the iPhone looks old.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    larrymagoo wrote: »
    Curved screens would not be pocket friendly and serve no benefit for me IMO...Hope they flat...
    Right, because the iPhone 6 Plus is so "pocket friendly".
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

My iPad 3 doesn't lack anything that would make me buy a new model. Others feel the same, which is why iPad sales lag.

1. Your iPad 3 weighs the same as a small brick. It's also massive.

2. Your iPad uses a 32-bit SOC and is no faster than an iPad 2.

3. You have mono sound.

4. You don't get any of the multitasking features.

5. You don't have TouchID.

I mean, I could see not going from the 3 to the 4, but not going from the 3 to the Air was pushing it, and not going from the 3 to the Air 2 is just madness.

• Reply 29 of 63
    3. You have mono sound.

I mean, I could see not going from the 3 to the 4, but not going from the 3 to the Air was pushing it, and not going from the 3 to the Air 2 is just madness.

There are also impressive gains in the display quality. Sure, the iPad 3 is Retina, but that's where the comparison ends. The iPad Air 2 did a lot to make the display a nice improvement over even the original Pad Air.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Samsung doesn't use white subpixels in their OLED displays, you must be confusing them with Pentile LCDs. The type of Pentile that's used in OLEDs uses RGBG - meaning full resolution for green and half resolution for red and blue.

Well, I believe that Pentile is a Samsung trademark, and the do use a while sub pixel. Perhaps I've got some of it wrong. Show me. Whatever it is, it still uses four sub pixels resulting in course display quality.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Right, because the iPhone 6 Plus is so "pocket friendly".

No matter what, I think people are crazy to put phones in their back pockets. While some people may be lucky, doing that is one of the main causes of broken phones, right after dropped phones.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I don't know. But I don't think it meant curved. I don't see Apple doing a curved phone ever.

Yep, that is my take. Jony used flexible to mean adaptable in that instance IMHO.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    melgross wrote: »
    No matter what, I think people are crazy to put phones in their back pockets. While some people may be lucky, doing that is one of the main causes of broken phones, right after dropped phones.

Why? Are you assuming that people are also sitting on their phones? I often will carry my iPhone 6 Plus in my back pocket whilst walking around and I've never had a problem nor thought I was crazy for doing so. I don't sit down on it, but I don't sit on anything bulky that I place temporally in my back pockets. What's crazy are people that carry a big ass wallet which they carry for decades in the same back pocket which eventually causes hip and back problems.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Of course not. The main reason is likely to satisfy Jony Ive's demanding design aesthetic, for seamless bezel to screen transitions. He was quite clear in a New Yorker interview that the current technology employed in the iPhone looks old.

Hmm...sounds good to me. And if that allows for a dark theme in iOS all the better.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    3. You have mono sound.

You are right about the weight of a small brick LOL. This had never really struck me till my iPad Air's battery was flat the other night and I wanted to lie in bed and watch True Blood. So I grabbed by older iPad that was charged. OMG my arm nearly broke holding it in mid-air half the time the way I hold an Air. I had to treat it like a MBP and put it down.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Why? Are you assuming that people are also sitting on their phones? I often will carry my iPhone 6 Plus in my back pocket whilst walking around and I've never had a problem nor thought I was crazy for doing so. I don't sit down on it, but I don't sit on anything bulky that I place temporally in my back pockets. What's crazy are people that carry a big ass wallet which they carry for decades in the same back pocket which eventually causes hip and back problems.

I am not sure how you even sit down with a large wallet in a back pocket ... I fall over sideways :)
  • Reply 37 of 63

My point exactly.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    solipsismy wrote: »

Most people who keep their phone in their back pocket do sit on it. I see it all the time, particularly with teenagers, and most particularly with teenage girls.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    melgross wrote: »
    Most people who keep their phone in their back pocket do sit on it. I see it all the time, particularly with teenagers, and most particularly with teenage girls.

Maybe we should talk about why you're look at so many teenager butts. :D
  • Reply 40 of 63
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Jony Ive says the Apple Watch has a "flexible retina display". I'm assuming a number of watch technologies will make their way to iPhone and iPad. But I highly doubt flexible means curved phone. There is nothing curved about Apple Watch.
    Yes screen flexibility is good to help reduce damage in an accident and help support functions like force touch, but a curved smartphone body is not necessary.