Rumor: Apple's iPhones could adopt flexible OLED displays in 2018

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Last I checked my body has more curved areas than flat ones. I had a curved phone and it fit just fine in my pocket.

inconsequential. the front pants pocket occupies a portion of space on the leg that is basically flat in shape. the butt under the rear pocket is round, but only a fool would keep his phone in his back pocket due to sitting and...bending.

i can't think of any value-add id get out of having a curved display screen.

i did prefer the curved back case of the 3G tho, which was easier to grip in the palm.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Maybe we should talk about why you're look at so many teenager butts. image

LOL, very funny!! And, I must say, GUILTY AS CHARGED, at least I am!! :-)

• Reply 43 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Maybe we should talk about why you're look at so many teenager butts. :D

My daughter, who is now 23, has a LOT of friends. Often a troop of a dozen would come for dinner Friday nites. We still get bunches staying over. Also, I did a lot of work for the NYC school system, and her HS, in particular. Even though, in theory, for most of that time, phones weren't allowed, they would allow them as long as they weren't out, and used.

Go into a middle school or a HS with a few thousand teens, and you'll see a lot of phones in back pockets.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    melgross wrote: »
    Most people who keep their phone in their back pocket do sit on it. I see it all the time, particularly with teenagers, and most particularly with teenage girls.

Maybe we should talk about why you're look at so many teenager butts. :D

Let's forget the 'why' and just discuss the butts. :lol:
  • Reply 45 of 63
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    melgross wrote: »
    Go into a middle school or a HS with a few thousand teens, and you'll see a lot of phones in back pockets.

"Excuse me sir, what business do you have in this high school?"
    "Oh, nothing really. Someone I met online suggested I come here to check out teenage keisters."

:D
  • Reply 46 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Last I checked my body has more curved areas than flat ones. I had a curved phone and it fit just fine in my pocket.

inconsequential. the front pants pocket occupies a portion of space on the leg that is basically flat in shape. the butt under the rear pocket is round, but only a fool would keep his phone in his back pocket due to sitting and...bending.

i can't think of any value-add id get out of having a curved display screen.

i did prefer the curved back case of the 3G tho, which was easier to grip in the palm.

What are you, the Tin Man? The phones are curved that much that you can tell the difference in your pocket, and that's in the slim jeans I wear.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    inkling wrote: »
    Apple has done a marvelous job innovating their iPhones. That's why their sales are soaring. In contrast, they've innovated poorly with their iPads. My iPad 3 doesn't lack anything that would make me buy a new model. Others feel the same, which is why iPad sales lag.

thats just, like, your opinion, man. iPad sales lag compared to the most successful CE product in the history of the planet, but they lead over all the other tablets out there. my personal pet hypothesis (which is what an unproven theory is) is that they have a much longer usable lifespan, more akin to my Macs. i rarely replace them.

But I fear that Apple will run out of genuinely new and good ideas for iPhones and turn to gimmicks

yes, because apple has made it this far and is known for their "gimmicks" :roll eyes: please try to remember -- they've been doing hit products since 1977. they didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

much like they've made a big  deal about thin for the last few years. Thin I can tolerate in a smart phone. Thin in a laptop is another story. It comes with stripped-down features. It's devoid of adequate ports and unable to upgrade the RAM.

thin isn't a gimmick -- its an evolution of product. the thinner it is, the less it weights, the easier it is to bring it with me. i bemoan the loss of ports no more than i do the loss of the floppy (which I'm sure made you blow a gasket, amirite?) and upgrading RAM? oh please. the vast majority of apple's customers have absolutely no interest in upgrading RAM. if you're a pro, as i am, buy what you need and then use it.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    What are you, the Tin Man? The phones are curved that much that you can tell the difference in your pocket, and that's in the slim jeans I wear.

no idea what you're trying to say. as i said -- in front pockets flat phones like the iPhone 6 lie against the thigh, in a parallel fashion. there is absolutely no value-add in having one with a curve in it.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

flex screens by 2018

no home button by 2017

stop.

What next?

4" iPhone 6/7 by 2016...lol

• Reply 50 of 63
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

When Apple released curved iPhone as in the picture, I'll stop buying it.

• Reply 51 of 63
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I see absolutely no point in doing it like shown in the image.
    Samsung had the opportunity to create a new bold design with the S6 and instead they partially copied the iPhone border and used the curved screen like they would use a flat screen : they didn't even try to blend it with the bezel like Apple did with the ? Watch. If Apple uses it for mere aesthetic reasons (and what other reasons could there be), I hope they do something better and curved the screen completely on the sides and also the top and bottom, thus giving the illusion that it's all just a screen. But frankly it would still be useless.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    ...and in other rumors, iPhones may be made entirely of bacon by 2020. Savory and utilitarian - unbeatable combo.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Of course not. The main reason is likely to satisfy Jony Ive's demanding design aesthetic, for seamless bezel to screen transitions. He was quite clear in a New Yorker interview that the current technology employed in the iPhone looks old.

". . . demanding design aesthetic." Yeah sure, what a prima donna, right?

Did you miss the references to the "inevitability" of good design? Or, if that's too subtle for you, there's also the minor advantages of increased battery life when displaying black with OLED, and the saving of space where there's no room for an LCD backlight in the Watch.

These inevitabilities don't have to stop Ive from expanding on the collateral advantage of losing the image frame in blackness. The writer shouldn't have to point out that he isn't being demanding here.

The fact that the LCD, like the CRT, is unable to do blackest black is what makes it seem "old." You don't want that in your new platform, the wrist computer. You may still not mind it in your old platforms, including the iPhone. That remains to be seen.

But you have no call to label Ive "demanding." Everything in the New Yorker piece points to a characterization of him as putting the demands of the product first, and bending over backwards to be humane in the way he does his job, except maybe for overworking himself.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm...sounds good to me. And if that allows for a dark theme in iOS all the better.

Interesting ... I would love a dark theme on my iPhone, as many here have suggested, but do you seriously believe that that's why we haven't seen it yet, because the LCD is incapable of displaying deep blacks? If so that's truly demanding on Ives' part, since battery life is at such a premium. I use the dark theme all the time when I'm reading books on my iPad in low light, and I love it, despite the fact it clearly stands out from the black bezel. Not such an issue if you have the white bezel, which from my anecdotal observations is the majority of iPads and iPhones sold.

• Reply 55 of 63
    inkling wrote: »
    Why on earth would I%u2014or anyone with sense%u2014want a "flexible iPhone"? Like a couple of flip phones I had, that flexibility hurts reliability. I hope this isn't more of Ive's artistic silliness like thinness.

Obviously you don't know what you'll want by the time Apple gives it to you. Shut up and finish your soylent.... ;)
  • Reply 56 of 63
    rogifan wrote: »
    Hmm...sounds good to me. And if that allows for a dark theme in iOS all the better.

Interesting ... I would love a dark theme on my iPhone, as many here have suggested, but do you seriously believe that that's why we haven't seen it yet, because the LCD is incapable of displaying deep blacks?

Actually, Apple is promoting the light theme because it negatively impacts the competition the most and Apple the least.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, I believe that Pentile is a Samsung trademark, and the do use a while sub pixel. Perhaps I've got some of it wrong. Show me. Whatever it is, it still uses four sub pixels resulting in course display quality.

No white subpixels here.

• Reply 58 of 63
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Interesting ... I would love a dark theme on my iPhone, as many here have suggested, but do you seriously believe that that's why we haven't seen it yet, because the LCD is incapable of displaying deep blacks? If so that's truly demanding on Ives' part, since battery life is at such a premium. I use the dark theme all the time when I'm reading books on my iPad in low light, and I love it, despite the fact it clearly stands out from the black bezel. Not such an issue if you have the white bezel, which from my anecdotal observations is the majority of iPads and iPhones sold.

With LCD, battery life is the same whether it displays white, black, or something in between. Even Jony Ive can't demand that it be otherwise. How 'bout you just leave him out of your trolling "narrative"?
  • Reply 59 of 63
    "Excuse me sir, what business do you have in this high school?"
    "Oh, nothing really. Someone I met online suggested I come here to check out teenage keisters."

:D

I'm not sure I would allow you in public.
  • Reply 60 of 63

As you can see though, that is a Pentile, with the Samsung name used there, as I did say. You seem to be right about the colors though. It still loses about 30% resolution as compared to LCD displays.