How to backup your iPhone to Apple's iCloud

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member

"How to backup your iPhone..."

I love that verb "backup". I love backupping my stuff. I love that feeling when I've backupped it.

I needed to share this feeling with AppleInsider's editors so badly that I looked for the ever-present "Login to Comment" link and loginned right away.

• Reply 22 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mac'em x wrote: »
    "How to backup your iPhone..."

I love that verb "backup". I love backupping my stuff. I love that feeling when I've backupped it.

I needed to share this feeling with AppleInsider's editors so badly that I looked for the ever-present "Login to Comment" link and loginned right away.

Even though it's written as one word one has to split them up when using as a verb, as in backed up, or backing up.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Even though it's written as one word one has to split them up when using as a verb, as in backed up, or backing up.

"It" is two separate things: the noun "backup" and the verb "back up". This confuses AppleInsider.

Though not without hope: Under the strange instruction to account holders to "login", there's a more sensible invitation to newcomers to "sign up". (We'll kindly ignore the weird capitalization in "Have an opinion? Sign Up to share it." Good enough for AI.)

• Reply 24 of 38
    it did by default backup your photos though
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    No, the iCloud backup does not back up your media.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

it did by default backup your photos though

I should have been more clear. It does not back up media you sync to your phone (since it is assumed that the master copies exist elsewhere) but it does back up your camera roll.

• Reply 26 of 38
    rivertriprivertrip Posts: 143member

Enable iCloud backups in the Settings. Great "How To..." article.

• Reply 27 of 38
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member

"How to backup your iPhone to Apple's iCloud:" - don't

sow the cloud, reap the whirlwind

• Reply 28 of 38
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So when you have to back up before you take your phone in for service, this is not a back up you can use to restore your phone with if they end up giving you a new phone with Apple Care, like what happen to me when my iPhone had hardware failure. I backed up to my Mac and when I got home I restored it with all my data intact. 

It has nothing to do with the amount of data backing up. You can call it smart back up or anything you want because when I restored my iPhone or iPad I always get everything back to where they belong. Apps, Settings, data. Everything down to the size and zoom of wallpaper.

You need to try it to understand.

• Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Hmmm incomplete answer. If you have your own music or video files(copied from CD's etc) it will be backed up and take the limit quickly over 5Gb(your mileage may vary based on what you have).

That's true but it will not if you use iTunes Match.

• Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

As much as I love the cloud backup, this is the most infuriating thing to me. Why? Why the hell does it have to be connected to a power source and on WiFi and screen off. Let me choose how I want to backup. If I want to use my unlimited data while reading something on the Web outside I should still be able to backup. Sometimes the hand holding that Apple does for the lowest common denominator idiot is cumbersome. At least give my the option to do it deep within the settings.

I don't know why it's infuriating to you. It's the kind of thing that you never thinking about again after you set it up which is the whole purpose. 

• Reply 31 of 38
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mstone wrote: »
    I have a 128 GB phone and 5 GB of iCloud space.

good thing it doesn't back up apps or iTunes media. if you have most of your space in pictures or videos then you'll rightly need to offload them onto a desktop.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    petberpetber Posts: 3member
    mstone wrote: »

So it is just backing up the OS? What about your data?

Exactly the opposite. It backs up your data, not the OS.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Sure. I get that. Only if you're on WiFi. You must of missed the part where I said I didn't want to be like the time.

As I was connected to a WiFi when I looked at the settings to confirm my memory on that, that notation wasn't there, I had to disable WiFi for it to be noted: Yes, given my LTE is often faster than WiFi (my work WiFi excepted as it's 80  plus versus my home sub 20, though that's slower than my work net which is GB) and I've unlimited data I'd prefer to at least have the choice, it's like with larger podcasts where Apple similarly has decided to save me from myself and block larger downloads: don't need too be saved.

OTOH: "where I said I didn't want to be like the time.", ???

• Reply 34 of 38
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

As I was connected to a WiFi when I looked at the settings to confirm my memory on that, that notation wasn't there, I had to disable WiFi for it to be noted: Yes, given my LTE is often faster than WiFi (my work WiFi excepted as it's 80  plus versus my home sub 20, though that's slower than my work net which is GB) and I've unlimited data I'd prefer to at least have the choice, it's like with larger podcasts where Apple similarly has decided to save me from myself and block larger downloads: don't need too be saved.

OTOH: "where I said I didn't want to be like the time.", ???

Agreed 100%. Let me choose.

Darn auto correct on the iPhone and this website forum reply system doesn’t work very well most of the time. "be on WiFi all the time"
  • Reply 35 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Agreed 100%. Let me choose.

Darn auto correct on the iPhone and this website forum reply system doesn’t work very well most of the time. "be on WiFi all the time"

I'd think concern for people with limited data plans (which has to be the source for the restriction) would be addressed if that choice were opt in for allowing updates or big downloads of whatever material, such as big podcasts (the Whitehouse Press briefing comes in at about 135 MB and is restricted to WiFi)  over other modes than Wi-Fi- with a suitable written warning about potential data overages if opted for. Then let people choose within the context of their own plans. With my unlimited I'd opt in, were I to switch to something like a 3GB, where a multi-GB upgrade download  would blow the quota, then I'd choose differently...

• Reply 36 of 38
    robbiunorobbiuno Posts: 26member
    I have yet to get an iCloud backup to restore.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    petriwpetriw Posts: 2member
    I used to backup iphone thru icloud too but the free storage is limited and so I no longer do that. I switched to cloudbacko coz it's free and it allows me to backup to a combination of different free cloud storage such as dropbox, google drive....