Kenwood ships its first aftermarket receivers enabled for Apple CarPlay, starting at $900

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    adrayven wrote: »
    It's already being sold by crutchfield.com for $750.. expect that price to drop to mid $600's fairly quickly once Amazon starts carrying it.

Also, after playing with one, Kenwood easily has the best Carplay and Android Auto head unit period.. 5 amp out, no software to play with to go from Carplay to Android Auto and back.. Can be a duel phone home w/o the pain..

Pioneer is buggy and a pain to switch between carplay and auto.

im interested in the Alpine unit. only two things stopping me: 1) no bluetooth. 2) new CarPlay wifi

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2tBOomhjwkS/p_500ILX007/Alpine-iLX-007.html
  • Reply 22 of 54
    elijahg wrote: »
    Good god, you'd do better to stick an iPad in there for half the price.

no, you wouldnt. i have an aftermarket head unit. with your iPad solution you get no radio, no external GPS antenna, no GPS, no backup camera, no steering wheel controls, no bluetooth handsfree, etc... it would suck at everything but playing music, and you'd need two devices -- the iPad, and a normal head unit for the rest. fail.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

You can't purchase a subdued car stereo anymore...

In 10 years you won't be able to purchase any car stereo. Every car sold today has a manufacturer and model specific system. Things like door chimes, climate control, dashboard info display, backup sensors, and that dumb feature that plays engine noise through your speakers are all done through the stereo.

• Reply 24 of 54
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    vmarks wrote: »

iPad doesn't route call audio through the car speakers, or handle backup cameras.

There really is a benefit to having it in a head unit in the dashboard.

It does if you use the headphone socket to connect to an amplifier. I did that with my iPhone for years.
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    no, you wouldnt. i have an aftermarket head unit. with your iPad solution you get no radio, no external GPS antenna, no GPS, no backup camera, no steering wheel controls, no bluetooth handsfree, etc... it would suck at everything but playing music, and you'd need two devices -- the iPad, and a normal head unit for the rest. fail.

Ah, it's you again.

I have an aftermarket head unit too, a Pioneer one, though it's not Carplay compatable. As others have stated, the Pioneer software is pretty bad, and the user input controls especially.

I use my iPhone in a similar vein to the Carplay stuff; I get radio via 3G, external GPS antenna isn't required, adding a backup camera accessed over the lightning connector wouldn't be difficult (oh look, someone's got a camera over Lightning already). Steering wheel controls could be a bluetooth remote paired with the iPad, and handoff already means you can make calls though the iPad with your iPhone, so yes, Bluetooth handsfree is already there. All you'd need is an amplifier, and the ones built into head units aren't usually that powerful, and aren't expensive.

Pretty sure someone could come up with a kit that included camera and remote for much less than the difference in price between the iPad and these Carplay units. So I'm not sure who the "fail" is targeted at, your lack of knowledge regarding existing iOS features/expandability? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 25 of 54
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member

Sheesh, the install space needed for this radio multimedia device is huge. I remember when nearly everything fit in a DIN chassis.

• Reply 26 of 54
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by formosa View Post

Sheesh, the install space needed for this radio multimedia device is huge. I remember when nearly everything fit in a DIN chassis.

It's just double-DIN. There's OEM stereos the same size with far less features.

• Reply 27 of 54
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

It does if you use the headphone socket to connect to an amplifier. I did that with my iPhone for years.

Ah, it's you again.

I have an aftermarket head unit too, a Pioneer one, though it's not Carplay compatable. As others have stated, the Pioneer software is pretty bad, and the user input controls especially.

I use my iPhone in a similar vein to the Carplay stuff; I get radio via 3G, external GPS antenna isn't required, adding a backup camera accessed over the lightning connector wouldn't be difficult (oh look, someone's got a camera over Lightning already). Steering wheel controls could be a bluetooth remote paired with the iPad, and handoff already means you can make calls though the iPad with your iPhone, so yes, Bluetooth handsfree is already there. All you'd need is an amplifier, and the ones built into head units aren't usually that powerful, and aren't expensive.

Pretty sure someone could come up with a kit that included camera and remote for much less than the difference in price between the iPad and these Carplay units. So I'm not sure who the "fail" is targeted at, your lack of knowledge regarding existing iOS features/expandability? image

You can patch together a solution from many manufacturers, and it may be fine for you. 

If you're looking at ways to put a solution together, I humbly submit that Adam Bell's Ignition hack for iPads is probably the best way to go. He's got a similar-to-CarPlay experience running as an app on iPads. 

It's even been possible for a while to have the iPhone display mirrored to a dashboard display, whether over coax or HDMI. But there's something very good about the CarPlay experience as a whole that isn't patched together. Is it worth the price of admission for this unit? Maybe to some, maybe not to others. CarPlay can be had more affordably, with fewer features in the radio. 

• Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

In 10 years you won't be able to purchase any car stereo. Every car sold today has a manufacturer and model specific system. Things like door chimes, climate control, dashboard info display, backup sensors, and that dumb feature that plays engine noise through your speakers are all done through the stereo.

The real problem is the climate control and dashboard info display. For some Ford and Hondas, the dashboard kit comes with replacement climate control switchgear. When I changed my radio in the Cadillac, I gave up the dashboard info display and its ability to keep track of the seat and mirror settings for two drivers. 

The door chimes are a solved problem, as a part of the wiring harness adapter from the car to aftermarket radio. It's a series of tradeoffs at some point. For me, the question was: would I rather have AM/FM/6cd and monochrome dashboard display, or AM/FM/CarPlay/Backup Camera/Handsfree/Siri-handing-imessage/Maps? The decision wasn't that difficult.

• Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

im interested in the Alpine unit. only two things stopping me: 1) no bluetooth. 2) new CarPlay wifi

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2tBOomhjwkS/p_500ILX007/Alpine-iLX-007.html

No unit sold today has the wireless connection from iPhone to CarPlay. Wait 9 months to a year is my guess.

I have bluetooth in the Pioneer, but I rarely use it. It only comes into play if I've forgotten to plug in the phone when I get in the car, something that happens pretty rarely now.

When we get the wireless connection from iPhone to CarPlay, I hope Apple adds a battery indicator to CarPlay's wireless signal and clock status sidebar. (I like knowing if my phone's charged up or not.) Currently, there's no indication of how much charge the phone has, and when streaming wirelessly, I expect that to matter even more. 

• Reply 30 of 54
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Good god, you'd do better to stick an iPad in there for half the price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Go ahead. Let us know how that works for you.

Okay.

I did it at about 2/3 of the price: 64GB Cellular iPad 2 plugged into the car's power port so that I can say "Hey Siri" and give it commands to play music through the vehicle's stock Bluetooth stereo, or to ask for directions, or to ask Siri for the AAPL stock price, etc. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

iPad doesn't route call audio through the car speakers, or handle backup cameras.

There really is a benefit to having it in a head unit in the dashboard.

Sure it does, if you have a Bluetooth stereo like I do. They are also available for purchase separately. My backup camera is displayed on my vehicle's stock stereo. 

Plus: I can and do take my iPad with me when I leave my vehicle. And I can use it in other vehicles, if I would like.

I like my setup.

• Reply 31 of 54
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

I guess for the people who also think paying 500 dollars for a watch made in Taiwan makes sense... let the good times roll.

• Reply 32 of 54
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

It's already being sold by crutchfield.com for $750.. expect that price to drop to mid $600's fairly quickly once Amazon starts carrying it.

Also, after playing with one, Kenwood easily has the best Carplay and Android Auto head unit period.. 5 amp out, no software to play with to go from Carplay to Android Auto and back.. Can be a duel phone home w/o the pain..

Pioneer is buggy and a pain to switch between carplay and auto.

Back when I got my Head unit for my 2003 Chevy Silverado, it was a few years later, I ended up going with a JVC unit.  It one one of the only ones that I could pop out the whole Display on and had a lot of great features or company's like Pioneer.  Look at a Pioneer and it looks like something from 10 years in the past.  Primitive looking Interface, the navigation looked like crap is comparison with no traffic info unlike my JVC.  At the time I paid over $800 for it.   Even now while Pioneer does support CarPlay that's pretty new, it's just not great.  I don't know know why anyone would pay a Premium for what they ask to get one of them.  The Kenwood unit looks like, but man I just can't justify replacing what I have right now.   Maybe in a couple more years.

• Reply 33 of 54
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Interesting they focused on a fast switch over between carplay and Android, how often would you need to do that. Plus I would think you're either and Android or Apple household.

Maybe the Car is shared between a Man and Wife and it's a iOS and Android family!!!  I really don't see it as a Negative.  

• Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

I guess for the people who also think paying 500 dollars for a watch made in Taiwan makes sense... let the good times roll.

Who cares where something is made? Most Apple products including the ones you own (if you own any) were made in China most likely. Most things in your home were made in Taiwan, China, Japan, India, somewhere in Latin America, etc. Would it be better if the watch and others were made in Germany or Switzerland? Stop being a euro-centric nationalistic bigot.

• Reply 35 of 54
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    agramonte wrote: »

Yes, indeed. And it certainly would not make sense for some clueless (probably broke) anti-Apple troll in a pro-Apple forum who does not have the resources to experience what $500 buys, when it comes to the Watch....

(Reworded a bit).
  • Reply 36 of 54
    konqerror wrote: »

more nonsense. most cars use standard DIN or double DIN slots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

and one of the new features of CarPlay is providing UI to operate auto maker controls such as AC.

so...what are you talking about?
  • Reply 37 of 54
    elijahg wrote: »
    Ah, it's you again.

Pretty sure someone could come up with a kit that included camera and remote for much less than the difference in price between the iPad and these Carplay units. So I'm not sure who the "fail" is targeted at, your lack of knowledge regarding existing iOS features/expandability? :rolleyes:

ah yeah -- your solution is so easy, that I'm sure you're already doing it! surely you are. right....? oh. you aren't. but, oh! surely your solution is so viable, that there is a third-party company selling all-in-one iPad head units that make it a snap! as easy as walking into a Best Buy and picking up a real head unit that does the same thing, only better. right? oh....no, there aren't. because its a total kludge that fails to do anything well, even if some of it is technically possible.

nice work, mate.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    formosa wrote: »

double-DIN. pretty common.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    What I want to know is how this unit handles the GPS that is already in my 2015 car. Love to use Apple Maps, but am told the GPS antenna that comes in cars is much more accurate than the one in the phone. I also have a premium system that came with a Harmon-Kardon amp under the seat. Hope that can be used with the Kenwood too.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    vmarks wrote: »
    I have bluetooth in the Pioneer, but I rarely use it.

i have it in my pioneer AppRadio as well (had v1 and v3). i find it pretty useful on occasion -- walking into or out of my vehicle and having the call seamlessly switch over without have to do or plug anything. thats living in the future, for me.