TechTV: Mad at .mac, not planning to buy Jaguar

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    imac davidimac david Posts: 286member
    Green?!?!?!?!?!?

All I know is I'm a recent convert from the dark side. In my line of work, PCs have ruled for the last 10 years, so I've used Win 31., 95, 98 NT. At home I also had a PC, to make life easier when home working.

A few months ago I get the new iMac, running OSX.

Friggin' bliss!!!!! Never crashes, runs as you expect, does what I want - that's what a computer should do for me. No longer do I get TWAIN drivers locking up my PC that somehow survice re-boots, no longer do I get IRQ conflicts that take years off my life in trying to figure out what needs changing.

What on earth is "Green" about OSX?!?!?

David

PS of course, now I wish I'd held off and bought the 17 inch iMac.......
  • Reply 62 of 74
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    Add inflation, development cost, bug decoding and fixes, you will be hard pressed to justify 129 for the Jaguar release. I think you would charge a lot more for it if you made it. I think Apple is releasing some cutting edge technologies in a wonderfully stable and complete OS in 10.2. Why would you expect to not pay for it?

Also, I agree that the labeling scheme has changed at Apple. They should annouce this new policy to limit the confusion in users. Confusion leads to upset (anger), and people will rationalize it in many ways. If you read these threads you can see the many ways for yourself.

You did not have to buy the PB or 10.0 release. Many people said to wait. People bought it. The did so to play with such great new technology. It was their choice to do it. You could have waited for the OS to reach this level of poilish. Compared to 7-9 OS years, I think the polish and features have come amazingly quick. We are on to something great, and we need to realize it.

Now, I will bitch about the iTools/.Mac thing as much as anyone else. I have not had confirmation that my Mac e-mail address will be perserved yet. If I find this "fact" is true, then I will stop my complaining. I feel the other basic level of services available in iTools should be perserved in .Mac, at least for current users, but it is Apple's righ to do with it as they please. They gave me these features for free for years, and I have a hard time not being grateful for it. Taking away my homepages, which I spent hours and days on over the past couple years, is troublesome to me, but I'll get over it. However, I still feel a basic free option should be available to users. We do give them free ads when people view our pages. People with a full.mac subscription could do more with it and have many more services. Yet I think people would be more willing to pay for it if they used it at a basic level first. Also, I agree that Apple indicated the services were an extention of the computer and/or OS purchase. It seems hypocritical for them to remove these options totally. I can see why many users are upset over the annoucement, and I am among them. I hope Apple thinks twice about this new policy. People will pay more for the services, at least over time. People do not like to feel forced to pay for anything, especially if they feel like they are paying for something they had already. It will make things more difficult in starting this new service (.Mac) at Apple.

We should be delighted we have new options, and now we feel cheated, cut off, and mislead by Apple. It is poor business. Steve Jobs used to have flare and smooth business transitions. What happened?
  • Reply 63 of 74
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

It's great isn't it? I placed my $69 order for Jaguar earlier tonight. My dad's a teacher/college professor.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My mom is a teacher, but OSX will cost me $115

But look on the bright side, it would have cost $150 if she wasn't.

Amorya - a pissed off Brit.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    [quote]Originally posted by Ti Fighter:

... but if i was on tv and was the "mac guy" i would never say something like that, id want to try to get people to buy apple stuff cuz i think its good for them , not tell people to pirate. Bret larson is their bitch, "yes leo and patrick what ever you say, jaguar bad"<hr></blockquote>

So being a whore for Apple is okay, but being a "TechTV bitch" is not? That's the same thing, just different sides.

This is simple, folks.

You like, you buy. You no like, you no buy.

At the end of the day, we'll count the ballots, and see how 10.2 fares.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    find someone with some affiliation with an educational instution. 10.2 is then $75 shipped.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    brianmacosbrianmacos Posts: 548member
    Ok I just thought I would point some thing out, this just shows how retarted Leo Laporte can be when it comes to stuff he says, who knows I bet he has an fake id on here to bitch with every one else but any way... Leo said he isn't going to upgrade or at least he isn't going to pay to upgrade!!! Not long before when XP was released he also said he will not upgrade to XP because Windows 2000 just came out blah blah blah, not soon after he was talking up XP and would recommend it to the world. He will buy OSX 10.2 but he feels he needs to be a complete idiot. I am paying 69$ for OS 10.2 because I can get the education discount, and I orginally placed my order for the full 129$ price but changed it after I realized I was able to get the education discount. In a way it should be a cheaper price but overall we are going to get a lot of great features.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    [quote]Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights:

<strong>

So being a whore for Apple is okay, but being a "TechTV bitch" is not? That's the same thing, just different sides.

This is simple, folks.

You like, you buy. You no like, you no buy.

At the end of the day, we'll count the ballots, and see how 10.2 fares.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And there you have it.

(Author's Note: Search these forums and you'll see my 'nobody is gonna pay $399 for an MP3 player' rant).
  • Reply 68 of 74
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    [quote]Originally posted by yadda yadda yadda:

<strong>

Leo Laporte: "My prediction, this is gonna be the most pirated OS in the world, I mean, hey guys, you don't charge full price for a point-release! I'm certainly not gonna buy it."

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm... and then there's this thing called Windows... Seriously, people, do you expect Apple to give away the OS updates for free for all eternity? I don't see how the .X update over a full release could have such a psychological effect to warrant people not buying it. I was planning to get the full version anyway, (so I wouldn't have to do the update path and could do a clean install.) If you want a free OS, run linux.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    I don't think the price is that bad. But I understand why people are surprised. Traditionally apple has had big markups on the hardware and just sold cheap software to sweeten the deal. Maybe this pricing is sign of things to come.

[quote]Looks like we are getting a good deal at $100 a year for .mac: <a href="http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134494912_msn17.html"; target="_blank">http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134494912_msn17.html</a>;

As usual, Microsoft is copying Apple, but charging more for much less!!

<hr></blockquote>I don't see who is gonna pay for an MSN account (or AOL) on top of their ISP, but then again, the last ISP I used like those was Prodigy. At least MSN still offers free email/image host/storage. I suspect apple will have an abundance of bandwidth after the free trial runs out. Then small time pr0n sites will take advantage of it. Soon afterward, apple will either shrink the cap dramatically, or more probably lower the .mac price to avoid over-capacity.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I keep forgetting that most of you are 14 year olds who are on limited allowances. Stop spending all your money on the acne medicine and you'll have enough to pay for this upgrade.

Oh yeah, chicks don't care what kind of computer you're using.

Crybabies.
  • Reply 71 of 74

<strong>Well, another point that Leo brought up was that Mac OS X should've supposedly "had the features and speed of Jaguar to begin with," and he "doesn't want to pay twice for the same OS."

Jaguar is definitely a significant upgrade, but I think I agree with Leo on this one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a big problem hearing this all the time. Why couldn't my Performa 6115 have the speed and power that my G3 Powerbook has now... cut Apple SOME slack. Development of 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2 was done over years worth of time, not at the SAME TIME.
  • Reply 72 of 74

<strong>So, main point, yay, we are not alone. The TV guys share our point of view.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Noooooooo....they share YOUR point of view. I personally WILL be buying Jaguar and will definately NOT pirate it for a bunch of moochers. As for .mac, well, I don't currently use my account there either so I will let that slide into 'non-membership' but not because its not worth it, instead, just because I don't need it.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    altivecaltivec Posts: 11member
    You know what guys, consider your self lucky... MacOS 130$... windows is at 250$.....
  • Reply 74 of 74
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    <a href="http://dealmac.com/forums/read.html?f=1&i=818121&t=818121&sess=4e18e85a65b1e 80e975d2a8fac4026d8" target="_blank">More new Mac hardware to be announced</a>