Facebook Messenger apps to allow chatting without a Facebook account

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Facebook on Thursday announced that new Messenger users will soon be able to sign up without a Facebook account, potentially expanding the reach of the chat service.

The option is currently rolling out in Canada, Peru, Venezuela, and the United States. People opening up the Messenger iOS or Android apps for the first time will see an added link letting them join Messenger with just a name, phone number, and contact photo.

Most of the apps' features will still be available this way, including voice and video calls and sharing media like photos and videos.

Signing in with a Facebook account is still strongly encouraged by the company however, since this not only imports friends from the social network but triggers message alerts across multiple devices and the Web.

Facebook has been gradually working to turn Messenger into its own platform. The process began by breaking Messenger out of the main Facebook app, and has accelerated in the past year, the biggest push coming in March with the introduction of both a third-party API and Messenger Business, the latter letting businesses chat with customers, send receipts and shipping info, and even process transactions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I stopped using messenger the second they pulled it out of the Facebook app, most of my friends did the same.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Might as well read: "NSA Messenger app allows chat without signing in to FaceBook."
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Later we'll find out that Facebook's face recognition software will be scanning the photos you send, and voice recognition software will be listening into your conversations to key on certain words their advertisers need to feed you their ads...

[SIZE=4]Remember kiddies... "You are not Facebook's customer... you are their product."[/SIZE]
  • Reply 4 of 14
    djkfisherdjkfisher Posts: 131member

agree, unnecessary to have another message app

• Reply 5 of 14
    djkfisher wrote: »
    agree, unnecessary to have another message app

Oh cmon. Eventually even Evernote will have chat and social content sharing features, and require yet another sign in and remember a password. Meanwhile, you still need a phone, SMS, and the iPhone lets you sign in to all of its services with your fingerprint.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member

now if only messenger will be put back into the facebook app or at least made easier to effing log out

• Reply 7 of 14
    djkfisherdjkfisher Posts: 131member

That is so true, if you really wanted to go down that path, but I shall politely decline.

I guess it really depends on how you want to stay connected and to who and when.

Not saying it is bad, just that it was unnecessary for me to add another layer of communication with my friends.

Life is good :) I am happy without it

:)

• Reply 8 of 14
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    The Trojan Horse....to access your contacts in your address book.
  • Reply 9 of 14

I wonder when people will rediscover the best, most perfect messenger.  The one we all have, and have been ignoring.  Our voice.  Before that time, however, the telecom gods will change the paradigm, so that once again we pay by the minute to TALK on phones, but get unlimited messages.... VOICE will one day have a come-back.

• Reply 10 of 14

So basically they are about to merge WhatsApp into their Messanger app. I was wondering when they'd do that.

• Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Eventually even Evernote will have chat and social content sharing features, and require yet another sign in and remember a password. 

Come iOS 9 Notes and the elephant is on its way out of my phone!

• Reply 12 of 14
    thejdthejd Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

People opening up the Messenger iOS or Android apps for the first time will see an added link letting them join Messenger with just a name, phone number, and contact photo.

Which is 90% of what is required for a Facebook account anyway.  Cue the incredible amounts of spam, "You're almost there! Give us your birthdate and gender and you too can be a part of the Facebook family!"

• Reply 13 of 14
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    I haven't used FB messenger since they made it a separate app and force me to leave the FB app to send a private message. I find myself using FB less and less. I post some updates for the family or friends and check for updates from them. I have unsubscribed from everything else. I was using Twitter but I am trusting them less too. The big dilemma is nobody checks their email anymore or they keep changing their address.
  • Reply 14 of 14

This is good news to me. Messenger is all I ever use anymore. I don't use Facebook for anything else. Maybe I can ditch my FB account and just keep Messenger/chat with my friends there? Probably not.