Trader Joe's grocery chain preparing to accept Apple Pay

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Too late. I discovered a Wegmans nearby that already does accept Apple Pay.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member

I was in a Trader Joe's yesterday here in Las Vegas and they didn't have the new POSTs. If they are supposed to be switching this on today, it looks like some stores aren't going to make it.

• Reply 43 of 55
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by theirongiant View Post

It's safe to assume that if a store has upgraded from the ingenico POS terminals with resistive touch screens, to the giant Verifone terminals with capacitive touch screens, those stores now support contactless payment. The Verifone terminals have NFC readers inside.

There was about a week gap between the upgrade to Verifone and the firmware update that enabled NFC payments in those terminals.

• Reply 44 of 55
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Tried the chip card reader slot on those terminals is not easy to locate or use. It's not easy to orient the card to quickly insert it, there's no satisfying confirmation that you've done it right. The one thing it has going for it, is that there should be no more question about which way to orient the card, once they figure out how to insert it.

I believe the chip cards are going to be magnetic stripe hybrids? In which case, given the option customers are not likely to chose the chip method. Just explaining to them where to stick it (ha) will be enough frustration for all concerned, much less explaining that you stick it in and leave it, rather than quickly pulling it out like you would with a magnetic stipe card. I also wonder how many cards will be accidentally left in the slot.

No this all bodes well for ?Pay. When a customer without ?Pay sees how simply the transaction goes for the customer in front of them, they will want the method that works faster and easier than their new chip card. And imagine if they see someone using it on the watch!
  • Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Tried the chip card reader slot on those terminals is not easy to locate or use. It's not easy to orient the card to quickly insert it, there's no satisfying confirmation that you've done it right. The one thing it has going for it, is that there should be no more question about which way to orient the card, once they figure out how to insert it.

I believe the chip cards are going to be magnetic stripe hybrids? In which case, given the option customers are not likely to chose the chip method. Just explaining to them where to stick it (ha) will be enough frustration for all concerned, much less explaining that you stick it in and leave it, rather than quickly pulling it out like you would with a magnetic stipe card. I also wonder how many cards will be accidentally left in the slot.

No this all bodes well for ?Pay. When a customer without ?Pay sees how simply the transaction goes for the customer in front of them, they will want the method that works faster and easier than their new chip card. And imagine if they see someone using it on the watch!

The other problem is, just as some consumers don't understand swipe orientation, some consumers will get card insertion into the slot in the wrong orientation.

• Reply 46 of 55
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

The other problem is, just as some consumers don't understand swipe orientation, some consumers will get card insertion into the slot in the wrong orientation.

Yup, I thought about that ... which is why the current insert, pull out quickly, credit card slots are difficult because they are seemingly inconsistent from card reader to card reader (stripe side, and top to bottom). Presumably that will be a bit easier since the chip readers are almost all insert chip end, card face up. So that to me seems the least of the problems. Regardless ?Pay is much easier solution.

• Reply 47 of 55
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member

FWIW today I tried using Apple Pay in my local Trader Joe's. I asked two employees about whether they were taking it. Neither had even heard of Apple Pay and were puzzled by my question. I might just as well have been asking them about their recent shipment of blueberries from Mars. 

• Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

FWIW today I tried using Apple Pay in my local Trader Joe's. I asked two employees about whether they were taking it. Neither had even heard of Apple Pay and were puzzled by my question. I might just as well have been asking them about their recent shipment of blueberries from Mars. 

I was able to pay with Apple Pay at my local Trader Joe's. The people running the register knew all about it and were ready for it. 

I expect national rollouts don't always go smoothly.

• Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:

I was able to pay with Apple Pay at my local Trader Joe's. The people running the register knew all about it and were ready for it. 

I expect national rollouts don't always go smoothly.

We're in Southern California, ground zero for Trader Joe's, and nobody at the store could even understand what we were asking about? That's a lot worse than not going smoothly.

This happened to be my second bad Apple Pay experience of the day. The first was in a Panera Bread, which advertises accepting Apple Pay right on the door of the restaurant. Turns out that works only if you happen to walk up the right register. I didn't. Kinda lame. 

I went out my way to get a card that can be used with Apple Pay, and to walk into stores that supposedly take it. Maybe one of these days somebody will actually take it before I lose interest in trying.

• Reply 50 of 55
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

... Imagine locating the slot, sliding in a card, entering a pin, and then having to sign. ?Pay is going to look pretty good once that starts happening.

EMV cards are either chip/pin or chip/signature. You shouldn't have to do both. The vast majority of cards in the US this year will be chip/signature.

ApplePay purchases may require a signature, if purchases exceed a certain amount.

I love apple pay, and in practice it's much more convenient that it sounds, just wanted to clear this up.

• Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

We're in Southern California, ground zero for Trader Joe's, and nobody at the store could even understand what we were asking about? That's a lot worse than not going smoothly.

This happened to be my second bad Apple Pay experience of the day. The first was in a Panera Bread, which advertises accepting Apple Pay right on the door of the restaurant. Turns out that works only if you happen to walk up the right register. I didn't. Kinda lame. 

I went out my way to get a card that can be used with Apple Pay, and to walk into stores that supposedly take it. Maybe one of these days somebody will actually take it before I lose interest in trying.

"works only if you happen to walk up the right register."

How did you expect payment to be conducted? Seems to me it IS "Near" Field Chip technology after all.....

• Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

"works only if you happen to walk up the right register."

How did you expect payment to be conducted? Seems to me it IS "Near" Field Chip technology after all.....

I think he was saying that Panera only had one register enabled for Apple Pay, and you had to use the correct one. Frustrating if you're in the wrong line, no?

• Reply 53 of 55
    Yes, that is what I meant. Pretty obviously I would have thought. I continue to have zero success using Apple Pay for any purchases.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:

I think he was saying that Panera only had one register enabled for Apple Pay, and you had to use the correct one. Frustrating if you're in the wrong line, no?

Ah, hadn't ecven considered there'd be such an inconsistency, hardware upgrades between stores I'd expect to be patchy, but within the same store? Given it's more efficient to just have the techs come in and swap out everything? though a reluctant operator might just do the minimum to satisfy the letter if not the spirit of a corporate policy I suppose.

So are Panera's franchises? Reluctant franchises could drag their feet like that.