Apple confirms Confederate flag ban in App Store, says war games have to change art

Comments

• Reply 41 of 292
    freediverx wrote: »

Yearning for the good ol' 1840s, when whites were in charge and blacks knew their place?

Reactionary n.
    <p style="color:rgb(37,37,37);margin-bottom:.5em;margin-top:.5em;">A person who holds political views that favor a return to the status quo ante, the previous political state of society, which possessed characteristics (discipline, respect for authority, etc.) that he or she thinks are absent from the contemporary status quo of society. As an adjective, the word reactionary describes points of view and policies meant to restore the status quo ante. Political reactionaries are at the right-wing of a political spectrum; yet, reactionary ideologies can be radical, in the sense of political extremism, in service to re-establishing the status quo ante.</p>

Nope, you don't get to shove me in a box. Slavery and racism were and are wrong. But so is censorship.
  • Reply 42 of 292
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Just another example of the political-correctness dweebs getting way more influence then they should.  I get the point they are trying to make with the Confederate Flag.  I really do.  I also know the flag also represents way more and separate than what the slave-lovers wanted.  A typical example of how one nut-job ruins it for everyone else.

I think Apple is overreacting as well.  I don't like the idea of someone entrenched deep in the annals of the curated App Store deciding to remove apps that depict it in a historically accurate way.

What about video games that include the Nazi swastika?  

The swastika was around way before Hitler rotated it 45 degrees and made it Deutschland's symbol.  Should the religious folks around the world be required to remove it because one guy twisted it?

What next?  Demand it be removed from the roof of the iconic General Lee in "Dukes of Hazard"??  That would be a damn shame.

• Reply 43 of 292
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

Apple is acting like a pandering politician. Jump on the bandwagon without thinking it through. Such a shame.

• Reply 44 of 292
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    The confederate flag in a game isn't promoting slavery. It's just displaying their iconography. However, remove it and relegate it to museums. It's not necessary.
  • Reply 45 of 292
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member

If Apple can ban confederate flags in applications, then cake bakeries can refuse to print rainbow pride on cakes. 

• Reply 46 of 292
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Just another example of the political-correctness dweebs getting way more influence then they should.  I get the point they are trying to make with the Confederate Flag.  I really do.  I also know the flag also represents way more and separate than what the slave-lovers wanted.  A typical example of how one nut-job ruins it for everyone else.

I think Apple is overreacting as well.  I don't like the idea of someone entrenched deep in the annals of the curated App Store deciding to remove apps that depict it in a historically accurate way.

What about video games that include the Nazi swastika?  

The swastika was around way before Hitler rotated it 45 degrees and made it Deutschland's symbol.  Should the religious folks around the world be required to remove it because one guy twisted it?

What next?  Demand it be removed from the roof of the iconic General Lee in "Dukes of Hazard"??  That would be a damn shame.

I specifically ordered my entire collection of Dukes of Hazzard from Walmart in spite of their removing confederate merchandise. 

It won't be long before the Dukes DVD covers will be changed to remove images of General Lee. 

• Reply 47 of 292
    This is just incredible. Under Jobs Apple was apolitical. Tim Cook appears to have decided he's Apple and it now stands for whatever he wants. This is a sad day for Apple. Apple should start looking at the lyrics in the songs it is selling, the words in the books it is selling, and the imagery in the videos it is selling. Apple better reverse its stance. I don't want someone in the position to dictate what I can do. Love Apple products but there are still other solutions out there and it might be best just to wait for them to copy and catch up. At least I won't get tied up with no options.
  • Reply 48 of 292
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    sestewart wrote: »
    The LGBT Pride flag plastered all over iTunes and the App Store each month is offensive to me and other Christians, yet Tim Cook won't support our moral standards.
    But there is nothing 'immoral' about LGBT. As a christian you should know that.
  • Reply 49 of 292
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

If Apple can ban confederate flags in applications, then cake bakeries can refuse to print rainbow pride on cakes. 

While I disagree with Apple's move here (though I'm not opposed to the flag's removal at large), the two things you're trying to relate aren't the same. At all.

• Reply 50 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    this is insane.
  • Reply 51 of 292
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Welp, Reuters has picked up on this story so methinks Apple PR will be involved in a bit of damage control.
  • Reply 52 of 292
    quadra 610 wrote: »

While I disagree with Apple's move here (though I'm not opposed to the flag's removal at large), the two things you're trying to relate aren't the same. At all.

So a bakery isn't a private company that can choose to sell or not sell whatever they want? There's a difference between choosing not to bake a cake decorated with the rainbow flag and selling a cake to a gay person.
  • Reply 53 of 292
    paxman wrote: »
    But there is nothing 'immoral' about LGBT. As a christian you should know that.

Says who? That certainly isn't a universally held opinion.
  • Reply 54 of 292
    sestewart wrote: »

I specifically ordered my entire collection of Dukes of Hazzard from Walmart in spite of their removing confederate merchandise. 

It won't be long before the Dukes DVD covers will be changed to remove images of General Lee. 

I moved too slow on getting a General Lee model yesterday, prices are insane now.
  • Reply 55 of 292
    eriamjh wrote: »
    The confederate flag in a game isn't promoting slavery. It's just displaying their iconography. However, remove it and relegate it to museums. It's not necessary.

Well I guess if you say so then that makes it so, huh?
  • Reply 56 of 292
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    But is fine to do so. The confederate flag is still flown with pride and what it represents is despicable and huge blight on the US conscience and history. Under the present circumstances I agree with it being relegated to the bin. It will not disappear but every time it is used is sends a very nasty message to an awful lot of people.
  • Reply 57 of 292
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

The LGBT Pride flag plastered all over iTunes and the App Store each month is offensive to me and other Christians, yet Tim Cook won't support our moral standards.

Is this a joke or are you seriously comparing the two?

The confederate battle flag represents a part of the country that seceded from the union, based on their determination to preserve slavery. It was later the symbol embraced by those people's descendants, who then wanted to preserve institutionalized discrimination and segregation based on race. It is to this day embraced by white supremacists.

A gay pride flag represents a group of people who have themselves been oppressed for centuries and deprived of the freedom to live their own lives in peace while harming no one in the process.

Your taking offense at the display of a gay pride flag indicates either a) your hatred of people based solely on their sexual orientation, or b) your deep set insecurities about your own sexuality. Either way... keep it to yourself.
  • Reply 58 of 292
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Better change the Nazi crap too then.

Never once been affended by this stuff but many on the left get offended by the tiniest of pin pricks.
  • Reply 59 of 292
    skinzyskinzy Posts: 3member

This is the Dumbest move Apple has made since the round mouse!!  

• Reply 60 of 292
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So a bakery isn't a private company I can choose to sell or not sell whatever they want? There's a difference between choosing not to bake a cake decorated with the rainbow flag and selling a cake to a gay person.

And what if the bakery says they aren't serving to people of a certain skin colour, or religion, or sex/gender, or if they have certain disabilities? We have laws that prevent that sort of discrimination but we don't have those laws to prevent against discriminating against LGBT. Does that seem fair? Should we either help protect the wide range of classifications in a complex society or drop them all and let the free market decide?

No Spiders Or Visigoths.