Apple confirms Confederate flag ban in App Store, says war games have to change art

1235715

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 292
    roakeroake Posts: 648member
    Okay, some dumbass at Apple read Obama's Political Correctness manual.

    Don't try to change history.
  • Reply 82 of 292
    radster360radster360 Posts: 540member

    I think this whole thing is going too far. What if the young man who brutally kill those 9 people in SC was barring flag of United States and said he is doing this for US of A. Would we be banning flag of United States? And like people mentioned earlier - What about the SS Nazi flag or even KKK flags? I mean if someone wants to buy Confederate flag then can just go down to Brazil and buy one? Are we now going to put Confederate flag on contraband list like Cuban cigars were for many years?

     

    Removal of the flag is not the solution to the whole problem of racism - Let's focus on the real problem!

  • Reply 83 of 292
    kent909kent909 Posts: 710member

    We go after the flag because we cannot go after guns. It is what humans do to alleviate their guilt when stuck in fear.

  • Reply 84 of 292
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

     

    I think this whole thing is going too far. What if the young man who brutally kill those 9 people in SC was barring flag of United States and said he is doing this for US of A. Would we be banning flag of United States? 


     

    Is the US flag widely recognized as symbolizing racism and slavery?

  • Reply 85 of 292
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    kent909 wrote: »
    We go after the flag because we cannot go after guns. It is what humans do to alleviate their guilt when stuck in fear.

    A gun is in inanimate object and can't do a damn thing without a human being involved.
  • Reply 86 of 292
    roakeroake Posts: 648member
    You guys are forgetting that many areas already forbid displaying prominently the United States flag. It might make some illegal immigrants, err, I mean, undocumented Obama supporters uncomfortable.
  • Reply 87 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I thought Apple was a liberal company that supported free speech and First Amendment rights. Should Apple next remove any apps that reference the Bible since some people find the bible offensive?

    stop w/ the act, already -- you already know Apple doesnt allow porn in their store, which youre probably OK with.

    as much as i disagree with them, it's their freaking store. private property. and unlike w/ people, there are no issues of protected classes at play, here.
  • Reply 88 of 292
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,607member

    Nobody flies it. It is used symbolically and dramatically, but it is not flow. Actually, it probably is being used and even flown by some neo nazis around the globe, but it is viewed by the general public as insulting and highly distastefu.
  • Reply 89 of 292
    splifsplif Posts: 592member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    I don't see anything racist about that query. I also think it's a valid question. It's a slippery slope when you start banning items. Getting the capital to stop waving the flag I can get behind. eBay and Amazon stopping the sale of Confederate memorabilia I can get behind. Apple stopping the sale of app that show that flag starts to become a problem because apps are memorabilia. I think companies have the right to sell the products they want to sell, but where does that end. Do they also stop selling apps that are about history that in no way support the Confederacy or are nurtural, as history lessons should try to be? Amazon and eBay didn't stop the sale of books about the US Civil War, did they? Did Apple clear out all such mention in their iBookstore? It's a weird position since Tim Cook made his tweet and Amazon and eBay made their policy change because it forced Apple's hand here on the "art" of apps regardless off the context of its usage. If Apple didn't follow their lead it would look hypocritical.



    As for "the n-word" is more racist to write this string of 6 letters or utter the sequence of phonemes in a contextually neutral or passive stamtent, or to instead make an obliquely racist comment with terms like "those people"? I'd rather we get rid of the silly, cultural acceptance of certain words can be only used by certain people if they have previously been maligned by history. That isn't reverse racism but racism, because you're saying that certain people have rights that others don't have based on no other criteria than this foolish notion of "race". As long as make certain terms taboo and unbalanced we will never be able to neutralize it and therefore never be able to get past it.

    "The company denied issuing a blanket ban however, stating that the flag can be shown for "educational or historical uses."

  • Reply 90 of 292
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,709member
    This is ridiculous. Who decides what's offensive? Are they gonna ban football (NFL) apps because they mention Redskins?
  • Reply 91 of 292
    freediverx wrote: »
    Is the US flag widely recognized as symbolizing racism and slavery?

    According to Louis Farrakhan it is. And indeed, it did fly over a slave nation a lot longer than those of the Confederacy.
  • Reply 92 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    freediverx wrote: »
    Were Nazis portrayed as the good guys in Wolfenstein?

    Civil War games dont portray good guys & bad guys -- they portray a nation at war, in which there were two armies, with two different flags.
    .
  • Reply 93 of 292
    kent909kent909 Posts: 710member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    A gun is in inanimate object and can't do a damn thing without a human being involved.

    Unlike a flag.

  • Reply 94 of 292
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post





    According to Louis Farrakhan it is. And indeed, it did fly over a slave nation a lot longer than those of the Confederacy.



    I said "widely".

  • Reply 95 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    freediverx wrote: »
    It's interesting how certain news events bring out all the closet racists.

    disagree on this -- its not racist to point out that the iTunes stores for movies & music have very different rules than for software. why is this?
  • Reply 96 of 292
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post





    disagree on this -- its not racist to point out that the iTunes stores for movies & music has very different rules than for software. why is this?



    Those aren't the comments to which I was referring.

  • Reply 97 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    So much for the first amendment.

    not a 1st amend issue, since this isnt government restriction, and is rather inventory in a private marketplace.
  • Reply 98 of 292
    splifsplif Posts: 592member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post





    According to Louis Farrakhan it is. And indeed, it did fly over a slave nation a lot longer than those of the Confederacy.



    No one is stopping you from flying the Confederate flag on your own front lawn. Get a grip. I thought you believed in a free market. Let the market figure it out....right?

  • Reply 99 of 292
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post





    Civil War games dont portray good guys & bad guys -- they portal a nation at war, in which there were two armies, with two different flags.



    For games that fit that description I'd agree it would be a mistake for Apple to remove them.

  • Reply 99 of 292
    kent909kent909 Posts: 710member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



    This is ridiculous. Who decides what's offensive? Are they gonna ban football (NFL) apps because they mention Redskins?

    Not about being offensive. It is about the loss of revenue.

Sign In or Register to comment.