Apple confirms Confederate flag ban in App Store, says war games have to change art

Comments

• Reply 121 of 292
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    freediverx wrote: »

Ummm, no. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">In Texas v. White, the United States Supreme Court ruled unilateral secession unconstitutional.</span>

that case law came to pass after the civil war had ended, and after the states already seceded. they did so legally, which is why no one was ever tried for treason afterward. it was their right.

the law may have decided to change that afterward, but that doesnt mean much in this context.
  • Reply 122 of 292
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

This story comes from Buzzfeed so of course it is exaggerated. It does say that Apple is working with the game makers to get their apps back in store. I imagine they are simply checking that the games aren't using the flag in a way that might be offensive as opposed to simply being historically accurate. There is no blanket right to free speech in the USA despite the famous first amendment. It's obviously restricted in many circumstances including incitement.

This is not a first amendment issue. Apple is not a government entity and nobody is curtailing anyone's right to hate speech or displaying a confederate flag.

“The Confederate flag is one of those things that should only be seen on t-shirts, belt buckles and bumper stickers to help the rest of us identify the worst people in the world,” Oliver explained on “Last Week Tonight.”

• Reply 123 of 292

Yay! something we agree on! Except if you're a conservative, your side seems to be on the wrong side of that issue as well.

there arent many conservatives living in new orleans.
  • Reply 124 of 292
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    the wrong side of history, yes, but not treasonous -- they had the right to secede, and they did so. legally, this happened. they were their own nation when they as states chose to leave the union and form their own.
    I must have missed the secession clause in the Constitution. Oh, no I didn't, because it's not there. One of the Amendments? Nope. The only "right" to secede is in the eye of the beholder. There was no legal basis. The Supreme Court hasn't even ruled on it.
    The fact is that there is no legal justification for either leaving or not leaving the Union. The Constitution is silent on it. In our case we decided to fight a war to decide the issue. They say elections have consequences; so does losing wars. Time to move on.
  • Reply 125 of 292
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

You guys are forgetting that many areas already forbid displaying prominently the United States flag. It might make some illegal immigrants, err, I mean, undocumented Obama supporters uncomfortable.

Well, technically, the original American colonists were all illegal immigrants.

• Reply 126 of 292
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Good luck with that Apple. I think I'll be spending money elsewhere. Thank goodness for local bookstores and music shops. I don't see the need to cough up money for Apple Music either.

I guess we know where your username comes from now. :p

• Reply 127 of 292
    jd mbajd mba Posts: 38member

Ok.  Lets replace all those Confederate flags with the Rainbow ones, since I'm sure it will make everything good with the world.  What a silly and borderline fascist move.  

• Reply 128 of 292
    rdmed11rdmed11 Posts: 1member
    Tim Cook is a jump on the wagon type of guy. When Indiana did something he didn't like he threatened to stop selling Apple there. But he continues to sell in China and middle eastern countries that will put you to death for being just what he is.
  • Reply 129 of 292
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    People like you are what's wrong with this country. Not everyone fighting for the south during the civil war were racists. Most weren't even slave owners. To erase that big part of our history is stupid. So we should destroy all the monuments like Fort Sumpter and destroy all the Civil War statues? 

the mayor of new orleans wants to get rid of our famous Robert. E. Lee statue:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/lee_circle_statue_robert_e_lee.html#incart_most-read_

...which is insane since he was an acclaimed military tactician for 30 years before the war, and after the war a reconciliation partner of President Johnson. nope, just erase him.
  • Reply 130 of 292
    I must have missed the secession clause in the Constitution. Oh, no I didn't, because it's not there. One of the Amendments? Nope. The only "right" to secede is in the eye of the beholder. There was no legal basis. The Supreme Court hasn't even ruled on it.
    The fact is that there is no legal justification for either leaving or not leaving the Union. The Constitution is silent on it. In our case we decided to fight a war to decide the issue. They say elections have consequences; so does losing wars. Time to move on.

it already happened -- the states of the confederacy seceded, they left the union and formed a new country, that's long been history. they were free to do so at that time...just because the US C. didnt say they could didnt mean they couldnt. and just because you cant now doesnt mean they couldnt. states had more rights once upon a time.
  • Reply 131 of 292
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

So we should destroy all the monuments like Fort Sumpter and destroy all the Civil War statues? 

No one has proposed doing any of that.

• Reply 132 of 292
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    We can't have a revisionist history out of worry of offending someone. A historical app should not feel pressured to change this content.
  • Reply 133 of 292
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

that case law came to pass after the civil war had ended, and after the states already seceded. they did so legally, which is why no one was ever tried for treason afterward. it was their right.

the law may have decided to change that afterward, but that doesnt mean much in this context.

A supreme court ruling is not a law.

Never mind... you were correct.

• Reply 134 of 292
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member
    The world has gone hyper ludicrous in avoiding offense toward anyone -- well, except Christians and maybe a few other types.

If the confederate flag can be banned, then this is only the start of offenses against the 1st amendment! There are SOOOO many things more offensive than the Confederate flag! Plus, how did the confederate flag get put on trial along with Dylann Roof?? HE'S the real criminal but his offense has been hijacked into this political and constitutional nightmare.
  • Reply 135 of 292
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is Apple gong to start banning use of the n-word from iTunes? If they did a lot of rap and hip-hop would be gone.

Yes, that's really offensive!!!  I think ALL Rap songs with that word should be banned!!!!!  Come on Apple!!!!  That's far for Offensive and current then some dead flag that's a part of American history you are trying to cover up!!!

• Reply 136 of 292
    I was thinking the same thing there a lot of symbols that are used still representing historical atrocities but the mob mentality is to react. I do not think it makes sense to fly a flag out state or government building but the try and wipe out history is a ridiculous attempt at modern day book burning. Freedom of speech is also part of the arts, these games and any other artistic expression weather it be for entertainment or voicing an opinion are taboos for any one person, company, government or other entity to control and determine what is offensive to others. If a person does not like the confederate flag for what it represented in history do not support games, books or material that have it that is your choice. But to "Wipe" it from history would be similar to wiping out the acknowledgement of the mass murder of millions of Jewish people by the Nazi regime, simply Ludacris! Just because some nut bag uses a symbol to explain or use as his "Flag" to fly during his own distorted truth, does not mean all of society is stupid and someone has to protect us from it by hiding the truth. I am incredibly surprised that Apple would even think of even attempting to censor.
  • Reply 137 of 292
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    So much for the first amendment.
    I'm not American and even I know that's not how the first works.

That said, this decision is stupid. Are we going to erase parts of our past like that? Remembrance is necessary precisely to avoid those things to happen again. A confederate flag in a game about history has its place.
  • Reply 138 of 292
    A supreme court ruling is not a law.

i said case law.
  • Reply 139 of 292
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

there arent many conservatives living in new orleans.

Yeah, but the rest of the state, ugh.

• Reply 140 of 292
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    smurfman wrote: »
    In the 6 years Obama has been in office, one thing has rung true from his campaign promises: CHANGE. Unfortunately, none (or extremely few) for the better... And no one in office, except maybe Rand Paul, is truly standing up against him.

What has happened to America??

Healthcare has finally arrived in the U.S. That's a positive (r)evolution.