Apple confirms Confederate flag ban in App Store, says war games have to change art

Comments

• Reply 201 of 292
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I strongly disagree with Obama on a couple of issues:

1) Continuing support of unbridled government surveillance & crackdown on whistleblowers

2) Lack of accountability for Wall Street crooks

On the plus side?

FCC passed Net Neutrality

Passed Health Care Reform

Passed the Stimulus

Passed Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform

Ended the War in Iraq

Began Drawdown of War in Afghanistan

Eliminated Osama bin laden

ned Around U.S. Auto Industry

Recapitalized Banks

Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”

Toppled Moammar Gaddafi

Told Mubarak to Go

Reversed Bush Torture Policies

Kicked Banks Out of Federal Student Loan Program, Expanded Pell Grant Spendi

Boosted Fuel Efficiency Standards

Coordinated International Response to Financial Crisis

Increased Support for Veterans

Tightened Sanctions on Iran

Created Conditions to Begin Closing Dirtiest Power Plants

Passed Credit Card Reforms

Eliminated Catch-22 in Pay Equality Laws

Protected Two Liberal Seats on the U.S. Supreme Court

Improved Food Safety System

Achieved New START Treaty

Expanded National Service

Expanded Wilderness and Watershed Protection

Gave the FDA Power to Regulate Tobacco

Passed Fair Sentencing Act

Trimmed and Reoriented Missile Defense

Began Post-Post-9/11 Military Build down

Invested Heavily in Renewable Technology

Cracked Down on Bad For-Profit Colleges

Expanded Hate Crimes Protection

Pushed Broadband Coverage

Expanded Health Coverage for Children

Expanded Stem Cell Research

Killed the F-22

Libya and Egypt not so good right now. Dare I say worse than before?

The Middle East is a disaster zone right now.

And we release terrorists back into the wild!

Great stuff!

Thank you Dear Leader!

Wow. Zinger comeback. Especially the "Dear Leader" bit.

Then again, you're probably an "iSheep".  (see what I did there?)

• Reply 202 of 292
    rpetersrpeters Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

The LGBT Pride flag plastered all over iTunes and the App Store each month is offensive to me and other Christians, yet Tim Cook won't support our moral standards.

The christian cross is offensive as a symbol of systemic hatred and exclusion.  Not to mention child abuse, in certain sects. 

• Reply 203 of 292
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    You don't think that homosexuals and transgenders have EVER been attacked? Come on! They don't even have to fly a flag before they have historically been beaten and/or killed, they simply have to be suspected of it.

Here's the top hit from a quick search that includes a graphic video…

Or, you could read pretty much any religious texts to see how "abnormals" are treated.

I think you read that wrong. I think he was saying the lynching mob never had a rainbow flag.
  • Reply 204 of 292
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    larrya wrote: »
    I think you read that wrong. I think he was saying the lynching mob never had a rainbow flag.

Yes, I did read that wrong.
  • Reply 205 of 292

Hopefully it's just a temporary thing to be sure they're historical games or have legitimate value before returning them. 

• Reply 206 of 292
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

The LGBT Pride flag plastered all over iTunes and the App Store each month is offensive to me and other Christians, yet Tim Cook won't support our moral standards.

Your moral standards are wrong and stupid. Get over yourself. 

• Reply 207 of 292
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought Apple was a liberal company that supported free speech and First Amendment rights. Should Apple next remove any apps that reference the Bible since some people find the bible offensive?

liberal != supported free speech

What precisely do you think political correctness is?

• Reply 208 of 292
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I don't know if your profile means Berlin Germany or not. The problem with healthcare in the U.S. is no where near being fixed.

The main thing it's missing is single payer. That is the only thing that will bring down costs while guaranteeing everyone healthcare.

• Reply 209 of 292
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

The main thing it's missing is single payer. That is the only thing that will bring down costs while guaranteeing everyone healthcare.

The ACA is an unholy alliance with insurance companies. The majority of the population gets sacked and stuck with the bills to pay coverage for a small slice of the population, which could've theoretically been covered 100% by cutting back on military spending instead.

• Reply 210 of 292
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The ACA is an unholy alliance with insurance companies. The majority of the population gets sacked and stuck with the bills to pay coverage for a small slice of the population, which could've theoretically been covered 100% by cutting back on military spending instead.

Universal healthcare doesn't work if you only pay for you own healthcare. The costs must be distributed across the entire population. In the long run, everyone benefits, with the possible exception of stingy, wealthy people who can easily afford to pay for their own healthcare out of pocket.

The main takeaway is that the ACA was too accommodating to the right wing, hence the irony that the right wing is attacking it. The ACA was basically a Republican strategy - nearly identical to one implemented by Romney in his state. Obama pushed it because his main priority was establishing universal healthcare and he figured Republicans would overwhelmingly approve. But as we well know, the GOP's single objective over the last six years has been to oppose anything and everything Obama wanted, even if it were in their party's interest.

Military cuts would've been great, except it never would have passed and we still wouldn't have national healthcare - the only developed country with that dubious distinction.

• Reply 211 of 292
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    paxman wrote: »
    The confederate flag is being used today, the swastika is not. The context is different.

I'd suggest it is the same context since neither should be used today. That said, I repeat in a historical setting such as film or game set in that period of course it should be allowed as is a swastika. Anyone flying it today, be it a State or an individual is deliberately sending a message as to their refusal to admit the south lost and all that went with that it seems to me.
  • Reply 212 of 292
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    freediverx wrote: »
    Universal healthcare doesn't work if you only pay for you own healthcare. The costs must be distributed across the entire population. In the long run, everyone benefits, with the possible exception of stingy, wealthy people who can easily afford to pay for their own healthcare out of pocket.

The main takeaway is that the ACA was too accommodating to the right wing, hence the irony that the right wing is attacking it. The ACA was basically a Republican strategy - nearly identical to one implemented by Romney in his state. Obama pushed it because his main priority was establishing universal healthcare and he figured Republicans would overwhelmingly approve. But as we well know, the GOP's single objective over the last six years has been to oppose anything and everything Obama wanted, even if it were in their party's interest.

Military cuts would've been great, except it never would have passed and we still wouldn't have national healthcare - the only developed country with that dubious distinction.

You are far too sensible for this thread. ;)
  • Reply 213 of 292
    whether you sympathize with the sentiments behind flags or any other symbols, the very concept of apples' censorship here violates even more fundamental liberties. This is going way too far and it also appears discriminatory.
  • Reply 214 of 292

https://itunes.apple.com/…/the-dukes-of-hazzard…/id168268871

I wouldn't call the Dukes of Hazzard TV show for rent on iTunes a historical reference. Note the flag on the General Lee (car). Not only is Apple being ridiculous, they are hypocritical. You got your ears on Apple? Political correctness is in hot pursuit...gui gui guuiiiii

• Reply 215 of 292

For rent on iTunes. I wonder if Apple will edit the movie to remove the offending flag?

• Reply 216 of 292
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    While not a fan of confederate flag in Government context, especially state house, I think the inclusion within historically accurate games is entirely reasonable, just like the swastica or hammer and sickle in other games.

The effort to ennoble the confederate states with some kind of local rights advocacy vs national or economic oppression is a gross misrepresentation of the fundamental basis of the civil war, that is, pro-slavery and the wealth it represented.

However, blanket bans make no sense. There was nobility, courage, and sacrifice by great people on both sides of the civil war - this should not be lost or misrepresented. Apple's blanket ban is too extreme and needs to be tempered. If the flag is used to degrade people or ennoble racism and bigotry, then it needs to be eliminated, as any other hate speech. However, merely using it to represent rebellion against authority or to reflect on historical reality or dare I say heroic behavior should not be so casually suppressed.
  • Reply 217 of 292
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

There sure are a lot of people who come out of the woodwork to defend the Confederacy.

As a Southerner, I can say with confidence that the Confederacy was a 'country' of traitors and the Dixie flag meant little to us in the South until it became apparent that African-Americans were going to be recognized as people with equal rights in the 50s and 60s.

It could have stayed one of many flags of history, but racists ruined that for us fans of history.

• Reply 218 of 292
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    https://itunes.apple.com/…/the-dukes-of-hazzard…/id168268871
    I wouldn't call the Dukes of Hazzard TV show for rent on iTunes a historical reference. Note the flag on the General Lee (car). Not only is Apple being ridiculous, they are hypocritical. You got your ears on Apple? Political correctness is in hot pursuit...gui gui guuiiiii

Apple and Tim Cook would have also been called hypocritical after Cook's Twitter statement for the removal of the flag from the SC capital followed by businesses removing merchandise with the Confederate flag. But in both cases there is no hypocrisy. At most, peer pressure, but not hypocrisy.
  • Reply 219 of 292
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Universal healthcare is unconstitutional (there is no allowance for such a thing in the Constitution), even though it is currently "legal" (yes, those two things are possible at the same time).

I only mentioned the military cuts for effect. There is still no constitutional allowance for national healthcare, which is why this terrible collusion with insurance companies was passed as a tax after the fact, despite there being no language in the law to apply it as a tax.

• Reply 220 of 292
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    So what's next? Take it out of any courses. Take it out of iBooks. Take it out of .....
    Ludicrous. :\