Apple highlights LGBT content with special curated App Store section

Comments

• Reply 21 of 183
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I await the "Apps of Faith" section next month.

But I won't hold my breath.

please. hold your breath.
  • Reply 22 of 183
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Disappointing.

Cook taking his personal morality and forcing it to the front.

With this and censoring American history, things are getting a bit ridiculous.
  • Reply 23 of 183
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member

Tim Cook is really pushing the limit. Steve Jobs really made a big mistake making him CEO instead of someone like Jony Ive.  I wonder if Tim knows he does business in countries that will put you to dead if you are gay. 

• Reply 24 of 183

Nice idea. I hope to see Ba'aism, Islam and Russian Orthodoxy well featured indeed. /s

Sarcasm aside, I don't see how featuring powerful majorities like religious followers would do anything to help minorities. It's not like, in the USA, religion doesn't have a disproportionate effect on politics. Isn't it the country of Britney "no sex before marriage" Spears, again? Or Sarah Palin's? The country that mainly supports Israel out of the political power of Christian religious groups, to the utmost amusement or irritation of the rest of the world (depending on their interests)?
    "Apps of Faith" wouldn't make much sense. "Apps of Religious Groups Suffering Heavy Discrimination" might, but I doubt you care much about Ba'ai, Coptic Syrian/Egyptian martyrs, Thibet Buddhists or Islamic Xinjiang followers, and anyway that's not a very good name, now, is it? ;)

I'm more than aware of the atrocities being committed against people of faith by Muslim extremists in the Middle East. It gives a lot of perspective to the whining over the "suffering" of groups here. Here, homosexuals whine that a "mean baker" wouldn't make them a cake; while they (and far too many Americans in general) remain silent on their brothers and sisters being slaughtered by ISIS, or on the children being literally crucified, or the people having their heads blown off with detonator cord.

I didn't say "Apps of Christianity", I said "Apps of Faith".
  • Reply 25 of 183
    Apples been doing this "every year?"

I've never heard of it before.

When did they start?

Not really happy about "gay rights" turning into a boy allowed to all of a sudden call himself a girl and creep out my nieces in the girls bathroom in elementary school...

Something SERIOUSLY wrong about that.
  • Reply 26 of 183
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

The App Store has plenty of religious apps, Bible reference apps, etc. However, Apple has banned a series of religious apps that are bigoted hate-mongering titles, most of which appear to be "Christian" attacks on Islam or atheists. 

Isn't it interesting how hateful and bigoted so many "religious" people are, and how quickly they come out to support and excuse child molestation and mass murder (when the perpetrator is white and supposedly Christian) and how they excuse racism and say it doesn't exist, and then turn around and tell us how "Christians" are being oppressed and persecuted under laws that prevent them from discriminating against the people they hate?

The Bible includes lots of examples where Jesus talked about hypocrisy, but not one word about the issues today's "Christians" seem to think is really important (anything about the gays, forcing people to pray in public, commercial exclusion of nonbelievers, supporting apartheid/racism/segregation, unrestricted access to automatic weapons, treating women as subservient chattel, etc). So much of today's vocal "Christianity" is vicious, hateful white supremacists wrapped up in a phony costume of Christ. 

And so many posters here predictably jump on the white supremacist bandwagon whenever one of these issues surfaces. Rogifan just used the N-word to make excuses for flying a Confederate flag, and suggested that black music be banned because it is... racist. What absolute insane delusion. Really disgusting to see so much of it in the AI forms. Please take that discussion to the KKK website and never come back.

• Reply 27 of 183
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member

They made us use that mouse thing, took away our floppy drives, took away our serial ports, made our flip phones obsolete, and now this? Will it never end?

</archiebunker>

• Reply 28 of 183
    rpetersrpeters Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Apple has already demonstrated that they won't abide by symbols of hate, so I wouldn't expect a christian promotion any time soon.

• Reply 29 of 183

Nice idea. I hope to see Ba'aism, Islam and Russian Orthodoxy well featured indeed. /s

Sarcasm aside, I don't see how featuring powerful majorities like religious followers would do anything to help minorities. It's not like, in the USA, religion doesn't have a disproportionate effect on politics. Isn't it the country of Britney "no sex before marriage" Spears, again? Or Sarah Palin's? The country that mainly supports Israel out of the political power of Christian religious groups, to the utmost amusement or irritation of the rest of the world (depending on their interests)?
    "Apps of Faith" wouldn't make much sense. "Apps of Religious Groups Suffering Heavy Discrimination" might, but I doubt you care much about Ba'ai, Coptic Syrian/Egyptian martyrs, Thibet Buddhists or Islamic Xinjiang followers, and anyway that's not a very good name, now, is it? ;)

Looks like you just made up your own story.

Not only did what you say have nothing to do with his post as you misjudged him.

But it was clear you think Christianity somehow isn't as deserving of representation as the other religions (some of which promote seriously evil actions).

You also seem to think Christians aren't being discriminated against these days, either in the USA or globally.

Just watch the news for crying out loud. Between having laws made by gay activists that call Christian theology teaching Gods plan for marriage hate speech, to outright murder of Christians by devout Muslims, Christians are high on the discrimination list.
  • Reply 30 of 183
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    My feelings are very hurt. I'm very offended! I feel discriminated against!

Where is the Straight Pride section?
  • Reply 31 of 183
    retrogusto wrote: »
    They made us use that mouse thing, took away our floppy drives, took away our serial ports, made our flip phones obsolete, and now this? Will it never end?

</archiebunker>

Yeah. Because inventing great tech is equal to making immoral life choices.

Good one.
  • Reply 32 of 183
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Let the hate begin!!!
  • Reply 33 of 183

The App Store has plenty of religious apps, Bible reference apps, etc. However, Apple has banned a series of religious apps that are bigoted hate-mongering titles, most of which appear to be "Christian" attacks on Islam or atheists. 

Isn't it interesting how hateful and bigoted so many "religious" people are, and how quickly they come out to support and excuse child molestation and mass murder (when the perpetrator is white and supposedly Christian) and how they excuse racism and say it doesn't exist, and then turn around and tell us how "Christians" are being oppressed and persecuted under laws that prevent them from discriminating against the people they hate?

The Bible includes lots of examples where Jesus talked about hypocrisy, but not one word about the issues today's "Christians" seem to think is really important (anything about the gays, forcing people to pray in public, commercial exclusion of nonbelievers, supporting apartheid/racism/segregation, unrestricted access to automatic weapons, treating women as subservient chattel, etc). So much of today's vocal "Christianity" is vicious, hateful white supremacists wrapped up in a phony costume of Christ. 

And so many posters here predictably jump on the white supremacist bandwagon whenever one of these issues surfaces. Rogifan just used the N-word to make excuses for flying a Confederate flag, and suggested that black music be banned because it is... racist. What absolute insane delusion. Really disgusting to see so much of it in the AI forms. Please take that discussion to the KKK website and never come back.

Wow, how very...tolerant...of you, DED.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect. But that doesn't make me a racist KKK member. I've met and spent time with people from more countries than probably almost anyone here(and continue to do so). People are people, they're good and bad regardless of race or nationality. So, just like I would never say "all Saudis are bad" or "all Jews are greedy", don't say "All Christians are racist/sexist/hateful", because it's not true.
  • Reply 34 of 183
    Quote:

Sorry, no hoax software.

/so sad.

• Reply 35 of 183
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Yeah. Because inventing great tech is equal to making immoral life choices.

Good one.

Um, hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but people don't get to "choose" their sexual preferences. Nobody does, not even you.

• Reply 36 of 183
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    msantti wrote: »
    Apple is really testing my loyalty right now.

Getting tired of this crap.

Stay the F out of politics.

I agree that a private company should stay out of politics, but I disagree that a private company should ignore human rights once they get politicized.
  • Reply 37 of 183

Corrections, the issue I have is not with Apple making a special section for LGBT apps, movies etc, far from it. My objection stems from the fact that this is reactionary pandering on the part of many companies, not just Apple. They didn't have an issue with these apps before this idiot started shooting but now suddenly it's a major issue for them. That and the fact they still sell apps with prominent Nazi symbols in them.

It's the double standard I object to
  • Reply 38 of 183
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2director View PostI'm sure Tim Cook's heavy-handed censorship and banning of any content that might be deemed "mean-spirited" or "offensive" to these "minority" groups will engender a lot of warm fuzzy feelings towards them...

Instead, it will probably make them targets of more extremism, especially if they remain silent as the Tim Cooks of the world carry out the same kind of extremism in their names.

right. because the confederate flag stands for all that is good about america. /s

And people using their knee-jerk offense over artwork and imagery to blanket panic censor, stands for all that is good about america?

• Reply 39 of 183
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Looking forward to perusing the "Apps for White People", "Apps for Black People", "Apps for American Indians", etc. tabs.

Apple's collectivist tendencies are really on display recently.

• Reply 40 of 183
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Corrections, the issue I have is not with Apple making a special section for LGBT apps, movies etc, far from it. My objection stems from the fact that this is reactionary pandering on the part of many companies, not just Apple. They didn't have an issue with these apps before this idiot started shooting but now suddenly it's a major issue for them. That and the fact they still sell apps with prominent Nazi symbols in them.

It's the double standard I object to

LGBT apps are being featured because June is Pride month, with events in NYC, SF, LA and many other cities. It happens every year.

The "idiot shooter" with Apartheid-Fox News-KKK/Confederacy-extremist Christian leanings has nothing to do with it. 

Also, if there were, say, a resurgence of neo-nazi violence cheered on by people waving Swastikas while also claiming that, say, a rash of Nazi murders targeting Jews were really just an attack on "people of faith" (not Jews!!!) by "troubled" lone wolves with mental health problems, then it would be reasonable for corporations to examine if they were selling anything that might be construed as supporting Nazi hate groups and distance themselves from it as quickly as possible. 

Many people, including people who grew up in the South, might not associate the Confederate battle flag with anything other than Southern culture and the Dukes of Hazard. However, when you have a shocking hate crime involving mass murder, and it is associated with a symbol that, upon further study, is really the flag of a treasonous rebellion that fought to establish apartheid and slavery, and then was waved in contempt for the federal government enforcing an end to segregation and establishing civil rights for all races, and continues to be embraced by white supremacists who despise blacks, you have some garbage you need to dispose of from the App Store. 

While this doesn't have any direct connection to GLBT rights, the fact that you think it does shows that there remains a very strong link between the Southern Strategy of the Republican Party and White Supremacists, hatred of gays, anti-science charlatans, and traitorous government separatists of various stripes.

I think Republicans just lost the election. Look at all these clueless candidates screaming from their pulpits that racism doesn't exist, and that Obama created racial tensions because he is half black, and that the confederate flag should be flapping above government buildings, and that gays should be rounded up and killed, and vilifying health care. Absolutely no clue in their minds. And they want to run the country! What a joke. This is a despicable layer of filth that you should be distancing yourself from, not smearing in your mouth and spitting at people.