Apple spotlights two new videos in 'Shot on iPhone 6' World Gallery

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
Two new "Shot on iPhone 6" clips were added to Apple's crowd sourced World Gallery webpage on Thursday, highlighting the handset's ability to capture color-saturated scenes, sharp grayscale images and slow-motion footage.

Still from "Shot on iPhone 6" film by Willian P.

With its latest World Gallery film clips Apple continues on a theme of showcasing stunning high-contrast imagery in a not-so-subtle suggestion that iPhone 6 is an amazing digital camera platform.

Today's additions feature a moody shot of a woman slowly paddling her boat down a river in Thailand as the sun hangs low. iPhone's low-noise camera sensor and fast lens sop up available light to produce an astoundingly deep slo-mo film dripping with ambiance.

A second black-and-white slo-mo clip from Brazil shows an athlete pulling off a bike stunt in midair. The film is carefully framed to avoid any hint of ground, offsetting the faceless rider from the cloudy sky behind him to convey a feeling of unanchored openness appropriately juxtaposing the first video.

Apple first introduced video clips to its "Shot on iPhone 6" World Gallery in early June, most recently adding to the minisite two weeks ago.

The World Gallery ad campaign first showed up on Apple's website in March featuring photos and video captured on iPhone by both professional photographers and amateurs alike. Earlier this week, the campaign won a Cannes Lions Grand Prix award for its outdoor billboard component.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    But but but megapixels
  • Reply 2 of 16
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    I think there's more than a couple new additions.
    This is a great campaign. They'er are so quick. Beautiful short poems.
    They really sell Apple's music thing too.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    What a simple yet brilliant and beautiful campaign. Something companies like Samsung could never pull off in a million years. Has also made me discover a few songs.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But but but megapixels

I know, why ever did they increase from the 2 perfectly good megapixels on the original iPhone?

• Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

I know, why ever did they increase from the 2 perfectly good megapixels on the original iPhone?

Yet, it's been on 8 for the past few generations, for which Apple gets mocked and bashed for. Competitors advertise their megapixel count. Yet, iPhone cameras are considered the best in the industry. His point was extremely obvious. There's something called diminishing returns. 

• Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yet, it's been on 8 for the past few generations, for which Apple gets mocked and bashed for. Competitors advertise their megapixel count. Yet, iPhone cameras are considered the best in the industry. His point was extremely obvious. There's something called diminishing returns. 

I know what his point was. I just thought it was extremely short sighted. There is loads of innovation in the standalone camera where megapixels AND quality and increasing.

• Reply 7 of 16
    staticx57 wrote: »
    I know what his point was. I just thought it was extremely short sighted. There is loads of innovation in the standalone camera where megapixels AND quality and increasing.

What's short-sighted, exactly? That the 1st iphone in 2007 had a worse camera than iPhones now? Or that they keep improving? Yeah, I guess that Steve Jobs guy just had no insight and vision about anything. Cause you know, cost and limitations of technology were just non-issues.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    spodspod Posts: 30member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Beautiful video.
    Beautiful camera.

Shame that you would only be able to save 20 minutes of such footage on icloud.

Ridiculous.
    Not everything in the world has to be free. Post it on YouTube if you don't wanna pay for more storage.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

What a simple yet brilliant and beautiful campaign. Something companies like Samsung could never pull off in a million years. Has also made me discover a few songs.

Yes. Me too.

I found this site, which allowed me to see who the musical artist is. I then checked a bunch of them out.

http://www.ispot.tv/brands/IQS/apple-iphone

• Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

What's short-sighted, exactly? That the 1st iphone in 2007 had a worse camera than iPhones now? Or that they keep improving? Yeah, I guess that Steve Jobs guy just had no insight and vision about anything. Cause you know, cost and limitations of technology were just non-issues.

The point is, and has been, there are ways to increase megapixels AND image quality.

• Reply 11 of 16

I drove around the United States this spring and used my iPhone to shoot a music video. It's incredible what you can do with this technology, a little inspiration, and an idea. I wrote and produced the song as well. Would love to hear some of your thoughts.

• Reply 12 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I drove around the United States this spring and used my iPhone to shoot a music video. It's incredible what you can do with this technology, a little inspiration, and an idea. I wrote and produced the song as well. Would love to hear some of your thoughts.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iThemDuLfbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Very professional in all aspects. Would you like to outline your process and list all apps used to create the video? Nice work.
  • Reply 13 of 16

Yeah sure! I'm working on that currently. To be honest most of what I used was just the raw footage pull from the iphone and I edited on my Macbook. I did a first video kind of the same way if you want to check that out www.iphonemusicvideos.com

• Reply 14 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

These are the kind of videos that I think Apple should be highlighting too. Apple's gallery of slow-mo clips has been put together well but a few show a lack of effort of the part of the filmmaker. Just filming a dog lying on the ground for 5 seconds and having that featured is like celebrating mediocrity. They like to encourage people but you have to set the bar high enough or it won't feel like much of an achievement. Your music videos show a much higher quality standard and effort and yet still use an iPhone just the same. It might be easier for Apple to check short clips for authenticity because they wouldn't want to feature something that wasn't shot on an iPhone:

http://petapixel.com/2015/03/27/pranksters-put-up-fake-shot-on-iphone-6-ads-next-to-real-apple-billboards/

but they can check the raw footage. I know what Phil Schiller's reaction would be - 'can't replace a DSLR, my ass'. When the lighting is good and you have the talent to shoot and edit properly, you can clearly get very good results and the camera technology will keep improving. The music style would fit with Apple too.

One thing in the 2nd video, around 2:50 one of the clips transitions very quickly. It looks like a video glitch but it may have been intentional as some of the other transitions are short too but the one that jumps quickly to the sunset and back looks out of place relative to the others.
  • Reply 15 of 16

I think it was intentional, however the thing about these videos is I'm wearing so many hats that it's hard to check yourself all the time. One day I'm shooting, the next I'm directing, the following I'm cutting. After days and days of cutting you kind of start not being able to see what you're doing anymore so I can understand that people will find the flaws. One thing I love about some of the best movies or my favorites is that human error. It makes me think "Awesome I'm not alone" hahha. Thank you for checking it out though. 

I hope that I would have the opportunity to submit my videos for approval. I shot all of this entirely on my iPhone so I have nothing to hide. I wouldn't even really know how to start shooting on a DSLR at this point, although I definitely am excited to try creating something on another level in the near future.