Apple CEO Tim Cook celebrates Supreme Court decision on gay marriage with quote from Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 291
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Here's the thing. Surprisingly, all nine justices specifically emphasized the importance of religious freedom and right of expression (genuinely shocked that all nine did). But, what this still does is open the door to more lawsuits. We'll be seeing more of "That mean pastor wouldn't let us get married in his church" or "That mean radio host said he disagrees with gay marriage" or "That mean baker wouldn't make me a wedding cake"

And given how the court cases for people have been going already, this will just make things worse for people who object on religious grounds.

Just out of curiosity, as I have no idea, can one of these religious puppets refuse a heterosexual couple just on a whim? If not could they sue him/her? Personally I always went for marriage at a civil service as it is a legal matter anyway and nothing to do with religions or myths IMHO.
  • Reply 63 of 291
    I suspect people with deeply held religious beliefs will either sue for them to receive equal protection or shut down their business.

Surely they believe in love and forgiveness? /s
  • Reply 64 of 291

“Human sacrifice!  Dogs and cats living together.  Mass Hysteria!” - Peter Venkman 

• Reply 65 of 291
    kpluck wrote: »
    Yet somehow we have far fewer personal liberties and far less freedoms than we did 30-50 years ago. Yeah progress.

-kpluck

You think? Travel back in time and ask an African American wanting to use the bathroom, drink from a water fountain, go to school or ride a bus in the south 50 years ago that. Sheesh! Or were you meaning just for the white, southern Democrats 50 years ago with their pointy white hats?
  • Reply 66 of 291
    hpaulhhpaulh Posts: 16member
    Supreme Court Chief Justice Roberts writing his opinion today on the courts 5-4 ruling to allow same sex marriage..... "If you are among the many Americans -- of whatever sexual orientation -- who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits. But do not Celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it......Today%u2019s decision will also have a fundamental effect on this Court and its ability to uphold the rule of law. If a bare majority of Justices can invent a new right and impose that right on the rest of the country, the only real limit on what future majorities will be able to do is their own sense of what those with political power and cultural influence are willing to tolerate. Even enthusiastic supporters of same-sex marriage should worry about the scope of the power that today%u2019s majority claims......I do not doubt that my colleagues in the majority sincerely see in the Constitution a vision of liberty that happens to coincide with their own. But this sincerity is cause for concern, not comfort. What it evidences is the deep and perhaps irremediable corruption of our legal culture%u2019s conception of constitutional interpretation. Most Americans%u2014understandably%u2014will cheer or lament today%u2019s decision because of their views on the issue of same-sex marriage. But all Americans, whatever their thinking on that issue, should worry about what the majority%u2019s claim of power portends."
  • Reply 67 of 291
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You think? As an African American wanting to use the bathroom, go to school or ride a bus in the south 50 years ago that. Sheesh!

Our phone calls and conversations are tapped and recorded. We're treated like criminals in airports and government buildings. We pay ever increasing amounts of taxes. We have fewer choices for healthcare. Businesses are buried under ever increasing loads of regulation. I can go on...

• Reply 68 of 291
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Tim Cook sure does not miss a beat does he?

Instead of spending of your day on this stuff, see if you can find us a little time and gives us a new Apple TV?

How about that?

Apple has shown one new product so far this year. The under powered MacBook.
  • Reply 69 of 291
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    I really hope this begins a wave of normalising for people around the world. It is ridiculous to have one set of rules for one group in society, and a different set for another.

Great work Cook, and all of Apple! Long live the Queen!
  • Reply 70 of 291
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Acejax805 View Post

I'm a Christian and a Libertarian. This decision does not upset me because I do not believe forcing my beliefs on someone else. Free will. Live and let live!

The decision shouldn't upset you from an "equal rights" standpoint, but from a constitutional standpoint. The Federal government is taking more and more control away from the states and it's going to be too late before the American public realizes how bad a giant, all-powerful, central authority is that doesn't listen to the voice of the people.

• Reply 71 of 291

Our phone calls and conversations are tapped and recorded. We're treated like criminals in airports and government buildings. We pay ever increasing amounts of taxes. We have fewer choices for healthcare. Businesses are buried under ever increasing loads of regulation. I can go on...

And all that is worse than being lynched for entertainment in your view? Most of the above were started under Bush as a reaction to 9/11 and yes I don't like some of it but just check out the world we live in. This ain't Utopia anymore for sure.
  • Reply 72 of 291
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member

Cook can't take his money with him when dies and is cast into the lake of fire. He should worry about his eternal home. 

Christians need to boycott Apple. 

• Reply 73 of 291
    sestewart wrote: »
    Cook can't take his money with him when dies and is cast into the lake of fire. He should worry about his eternal home. 

Haha don't let the door hit you on the way out. Enjoy the Android crap. Oh wait a minute Google applauded the decision too. I guess you need to find a homophobic computer manufacturer.
  • Reply 74 of 291
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And all that is worse than being lynched for entertainment in your view? Most of the above were started under Bush as a reaction to 9/11 and yes I don't like some of it but just check out the world we live in. This ain't Utopia anymore for sure.

Our rights have been getting chipped away at now for decades and 9/11 is just the latest excuse to take more of them.  The argument you originally made that "as long as we aren't getting lynchings" being used to justify loss of personal liberty, freedom and what is supposed to be protected under the constitution would be less disturbing if there weren't millions more like yourself who think that jettisoning those freedoms to make things "fair" and keep people "safe" is a good idea.

• Reply 75 of 291
    Look forward to the Obama administration to force mosques to marry gay couples.

Oh, that probably won't happen.
  • Reply 76 of 291
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Cook has already indicated he's donating his personal fortune (he's started already). I would guess Tim doesn't believe in your god that says he'll burn in hell for eternity because of his sexual preference with which he was born, so he's likely just fine with his "eternal home."

What tech company's products are they going to purchase? Most are already on board with equality and granting marriage to all adults (regardless of sexual preference). I guess some well-meaning Christian (and hey, maybe they can get some like-minded Muslims and others to join) need to create a new tech company to make products. They better get only good Bible-thumping heterosexuals to work there and assemble all the products as well, wouldn't want any LGTG people touching their stuff!

• Reply 77 of 291
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

It's not just Apple. 

Google splashed its cover with this:

YouTube and Google are proud to celebrate marriage equality. #ProudtoLove

• Reply 78 of 291
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Then why did the Chief Justice say this decision had nothing to do with the Constitution?

Because he was writing in dissent?

ETA: Though his harkening back to "the Aztecs" does give a certain pause: ritual, large scale, public human sacrifice? Maybe that's why I received notice of the closing of the front area for construction: the Chief putting up a nice basalt slab so he can rip the hearts out of victims and have their blood run down into the street?

?Now Scalia? Tall;y expect that, but Roberts being a baseball fan is a surprise....

• Reply 79 of 291

Ususally its the libs that have all the rage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's funny. I'll have to remember that image and use it in 2016.

Its usually the liberals that have all the rage.

• Reply 80 of 291

Cook has already indicated he's donating his personal fortune (he's started already). I would guess Tim doesn't believe in your god that says he'll burn in hell for eternity because of his sexual preference with which he was born, so he's likely just fine with his "eternal home."

What tech company's products are they going to purchase? Most are already on board with equality and granting marriage to all adults (regardless of sexual preference). I guess some well-meaning Christian (and hey, maybe they can get some like-minded Muslims and others to join) need to create a new tech company to make products. They better get only good Bible-thumping heterosexuals to work there and assemble all the products as well, wouldn't want any LGTG people touching their stuff!

LOL, well said, or those practicing Taoism, Confucianism or Islam like the good folks assembling most stuff for Apple.