Apple Watch sales will expand to The Netherlands, Sweden, Thailand on July 17

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited June 2015
The Apple Watch will arrive in at least three new countries next month, Apple revealed on Friday, as consumers in The Netherlands, Sweden and Thailand will be able to purchase the company's newest gadget beginning on July 17.

Apple made the reveal quietly via updates to its official Dutch, Swedish, and Thai websites. The 38-millimeter Apple Watch Sport will start at ?419 ($468) in The Netherlands, 3,995kr ($481) in Sweden, and ฿13,500 ($399) in Thailand.

The announcements came on the same day that Apple kicked off its second wave of Watch launches, bringing the wearable to Italy, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland and Taiwan.

Industry estimates place Apple Watch unit sales at around 2.79 million since the device's launch, though the company has yet to confirm any figures. Fewer than one out of every five buyers are believed to have purchased extra bands, though that number doesn't take into account sales that may have occurred after the initial Watch order.

Still, demand for the Watch is generally categorized as "healthy," and Apple chief Tim Cook recently said that developer interest is higher for the Watch than it was for the iPhone or iPad at similar points in their lifecycles. Apple has already revealed plans for watchOS 2, which will include a new nightstand mode among other enhancements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    It's already expensive, why is it higher in other countries?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Currency fluctuations? Tariffs? Protectionism?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I know that in Europe the price that an item costs in dollars was the same number in euros. So if it cost $1000 in the U.S. it would cost €1000 in euro zone countries. This used to mean around 35 - 40% higher prices in those countries.
    But the euro has come very close to the value of the dollar since last year.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    fred1 wrote: »
    I know that in Europe the price that an item costs in dollars was the same number in euros. So if it cost $1000 in the U.S. it would cost €1000 in euro zone countries. This used to mean around 35 - 40% higher prices in those countries.
    But the euro has come very close to the value of the dollar since last year.

Don't forget to subtract VAT, too. That's typically 15-20% in Europe, and it's included in the price.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I find it amusing that some of the early foreign countries to get the Apple Watch included South Korea, and Switzerland. It almost seemed as if Apple was like, "Neener, neener Samsung," and "In your face,: Swiss watch industry." Apple will build the High end watches and Europe can have the coo coo clock segment.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Yeah.. these price aren't good for adoption rate.

• Reply 7 of 15
    Currency fluctuations? Tariffs? Protectionism?

Actually, just three(-ish) reasons:

1) currency fluctuation buffer. Apple deals in U.S. Dollars.

2) VAT. Always shown already figured into the price.

3) slightly higher cost of doing business. Mandatory two-year warranty, mandatory health benefits for employees, sick leave, maternity leave, longer periods for contract cancellation. Wages varying by country.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    spheric wrote: »
    Don't forget to subtract VAT, too. That's typically 15-20% in Europe, and it's included in the price.

That's true. Good point. (or 21-23% VAT in places like the UK and Greece)
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Sweden has 30% vat so the price is not that much higher. But the dollar have been valuable the latest time, when the watch was announced I had hopes it would cost 3500 SEK. I was a bit tempted to import it for myself, but I wanna pay tax and besides now I can queue for a the watch!:)
  • Reply 10 of 15
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    Seems Apple Australia retains the delusion that New Zealand is an ignorable, outer territory, maybe colony, of their vast Australasian domain - why would our tree-dwelling primitives need the ability to pre-order an Apple Watch when you can get your mates in Sydney or Melbourne to take delivery and post it to you? Or nip to Sydney for the weekend and grab your pre-order there?

Well, valid AppleCare and warranty for starters... No we won't sign on to the Trans Pacific Partnership while there's no Apple Store in town - and line up behind Adelaide and Darwin for Apple trinkets. Cupertino, step in here.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    joelhjoelh Posts: 6member
    Apple's store says that VAT in Sweden is 25%. And in the US it's 0%? Assuming that is correct, the above argument about higher cost make sense, except that (for example) an iPad mini 3 costs $399 in the US store and 3795 SEK (about $430) in the Swedish store. That's only about 7.5% (which could be explained by conversion rates etc), but the price on Apple Watch is 30% higher (for example, $699 vs. 7995 SEK ($908)). That's disappointing to say the least. Spending $900 on a watch that will last two years at the most is a bit difficult to justify. I wonder what's behind this? Differences in VAT etc cannot be the whole truth.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    joelh wrote: »
    Apple's store says that VAT in Sweden is 25%. And in the US it's 0%? Assuming that is correct, the above argument about higher cost make sense, except that (for example) an iPad mini 3 costs $399 in the US store and 3795 SEK (about $430) in the Swedish store. That's only about 7.5% (which could be explained by conversion rates etc), but the price on Apple Watch is 30% higher (for example, $699 vs. 7995 SEK ($908)). That's disappointing to say the least. Spending $900 on a watch that will last two years at the most is a bit difficult to justify. I wonder what's behind this? Differences in VAT etc cannot be the whole truth.

VATs are protectionism. Just visit the U.S. and buy some watches instead.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

That's true. Good point. (or 21-23% VAT in places like the UK and Greece)

UK standard VAT is currently 20%.

• Reply 14 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Protectionism?  Howso?

• Reply 15 of 15

You've written some clueless stuff on here in the (relatively short) time I've been around, and some stuff that is just absolutely wrong in the light of what we explicitly know, but this is comedy gold.

You've apparently heard some Big Words and just throw them out there whenever a subject comes up that seems vaguely related, without having an idea as to what's going on.

Tariffs are protectionism. Special taxes on specific imported goods are protectionism. State subsidies and tax breaks for local industries are protectionism. Almost every country practices these to some degree, including the U.S.

VAT applies to anything and everything sold within a country, completely regardless of where it comes from. Swiss watches are subject to the same VAT when sold here in Germany as German watches and Apple Watches.

It's literally the same thing as Sales Tax, which a lot of states in the U.S. levy as well.